Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The option to purchase FSD disappeared in MyTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah. It's just not worth it to me at any price right now. I don't trust it. I won't trust it until I see at least a full year of general usage by others. Then I'll give it a look again.

If there was more transparency into their dev and testing, I might be tempted but without that it's all a great big unknown for me and I don't risk my life like that.

So I wait and see.

I paid for EAP and I didn't even get cruise control on the first day. We are talking 1980's technology.

It seems like it will take a LONG time for FSD to get to where its advertised but if so, wouldn't it realistically be a $20,000 option and worth every penny?

So 3,000 prepay is not that much if you have the long term view.

They are already ramping a 3000/5000 structure. Could be 4000/6000.

Those who put down 3000 are feeling just a little bit better after yesterday and deservedly so.

EAP still Beta and I'm safer using it to aid me than not having it. So "life risking" is a bit of hubris unless you were just a complete tool with EAP and checked out completely when utilizing it.

Reactions: chillaban
Those who put down 3000 are feeling just a little bit better after yesterday and deservedly so.
Yes, and I was really on the fence about ordering the FSD, even tried calculating net present value of this not so available feature, but gave in after I saw Elon's tweet that some self driving features should be coming this August. Anyone guess what those early features might be? The blinker going off by itself after the lane change? I am hoping for the traffic light and stop sign recognition--after all those were already present on the test cars in late 2014, along with AP1--all of which pushed me to order the MS on the day of the release, before my woman got home from work, LOL. It was one of the best decisions I've made.

Yes, and I was really on the fence about ordering the FSD, even tried calculating net present value of this not so available feature, but gave in after I saw Elon's tweet that some self driving features should be coming this August. Anyone guess what those early features might be? The blinker going off by itself after the lane change? I am hoping for the traffic light and stop sign recognition--after all those were already present on the test cars in late 2014, along with AP1--all of which pushed me to order the MS on the day of the release, before my woman got home from work, LOL. It was one of the best decisions I've made.

They have been playing with the cameras reading signs and lights for at least a year now.

Contrary to what people think - Tesla doesn’t just shove firmware out to people the moment it’s compiled. The last firmware with nagging AP was the first time I saw it rushed. Don’t think the the consumer testing group got enough time with it as hell would have been raised.

They play with multiple builds in house, then they release betas to an advance consumer group. Only then do the general populace get it and not all at once.

Elon’s silky smooth autopilot he had 6 months before anyone else.

I’m sure they felt they reached AP1 parity months ago but could not dare to release they build due to the guaranteed negative media attention if ANYTHING went wrong. They are handling FSD rollout very wisely.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA

Perhaps. Or perhaps they're counting chicks before they've hatched. Only time will tell.

was really on the fence about ordering the FSD... but gave in after I saw Elon's tweet that some self driving features should be coming this August.

That was likely the point of his tweet.

Anyone guess what those early features might be?

I've given up guessing after watching the video he showed us of FSD how many months ago now? He had me fooled then that not only was it right around the corner, but the driver was only in the seat due to regulation.

The blinker going off by itself after the lane change? I am hoping for the traffic light and stop sign recognition-

It kind of sounds funny when you put it that way, given what we saw it do in the video, since you're not asking for much. Do you only want it to recognize lights and signs or to also react to them by stopping and going? If so, I don't see that happening for years. The potential for tragedy is too high, at least in my view. And I don't see much benefit in recognizing them. If it's anything like recognizing speed signs, it's not very good.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I paid for EAP and I didn't even get cruise control on the first day. We are talking 1980's technology.

It seems like it will take a LONG time for FSD to get to where its advertised but if so, wouldn't it realistically be a $20,000 option and worth every penny?

So 3,000 prepay is not that much if you have the long term view.

They are already ramping a 3000/5000 structure. Could be 4000/6000.

EAP still Beta and I'm safer using it to aid me than not having it. So "life risking" is a bit of hubris unless you were just a complete tool with EAP and checked out completely when utilizing it.
Tell that to people who are half way in their leases or are about to sell their cars.

He didn't say August of 2018 or 2019+ ;)

Tell that to people who are half way in their leases or are about to sell their cars.

He didn't say August of 2018 or 2019+ ;)

Running the numbers it’s pretty obvious that leasing Tesla’s are extremely expensive.

You can either own 2 outright or lease 3 with no equity at the end of 9 years with the same payment stream.

Having software that isn’t ready is just one more knock against the financial sense of leasing.

At least only the depreciation of EAP and FSD is paid for and not the entire option.

Given the recent media attention over the tag of Autopilot being somewhat misleading, even daring to call this stuff FSD is highly dubious on any level. Let's remind ourselves what it actually stands for - Full Self Driving! The kind of features rumoured sound nothing remotely like full self driving to me. More like minor additions to the existing EAP, which itself is incomplete.

Tesla have obviously dug themselves a very deep hole with FSD and all the pre-selling farce, which now looks like a scam to any sane person looking in from the outside. Now I'm sure the intention was good i.e. delivering FSD asap and Elon was probably thinking it would be here by now. But the reality in this case is simply not living up to the vision and most owners who paid for FSD in their current cars are never going to get anything like the functionality they expected i.e. a full self drive car!

As for arguing about the upgrade cost increasing for existing owners, who cares until there is a product worth discussing?! Genuine FSD is going to be worth a lot more than the current £4.7K upgrade and those brave (or naive) enough to pay for it up front get a total and utter bargain. Or they get nothing at all (current situation) or maybe some token gesture additional EAP features that are barely worth the extra cost. I'm certainly not going to pay £4.7K for a self-cancelling indicator and stop light recognition! But I would happily pay £10K+ for an actual working FSD. Let's not forget that EAP is already a £4.7K option by itself, so FSD would surely be worth that much again or more given the massive increase in functionality and total lack of competition. It's just a shame it doesn't exist, lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: Canuck and ebfio
The blinker going off by itself after the lane change?

This would be a great addition, but I was wondering if this can be technically done.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the blinker goes back to its original position due to some switch in the steering column.
Can the blinker stalk be reset to its original position by software with current hardware?

Reactions: vandacca
This would be a great addition, but I was wondering if this can be technically done.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the blinker goes back to its original position due to some switch in the steering column.
Can the blinker stalk be reset to its original position by software with current hardware?

Very good question, what are the chances of the column stalk being powered? Even if software could cancel the signal, the stalk would still have to be manually reset by the driver thus defeating the whole point. So probably not going to happen unless Tesla really have got a dormant column stalk motor in place already - which I seriously doubt.

I can confirm that existing owners without FSD can get FSD for $4,000. I submitted an elevated request email to Tesla support and obtained independent confirmation. They are working to fix the issue but if you buy it for $5k you will get a refund of $1k within a few weeks. I'll wait till they fix it first. But this is good news Indeed.

• Informative
Reactions: kak1154 and MIT_S60
I can confirm that existing owners without FSD can get FSD for $4,000. I submitted an elevated request email to Tesla support and obtained independent confirmation. They are working to fix the issue but if you buy it for $5k you will get a refund of $1k within a few weeks. I'll wait till they fix it first. But this is good news Indeed.

That's good. All they need to do now is release something actually worth $4K ;)

Reactions: ebfio
Very good question, what are the chances of the column stalk being powered? Even if software could cancel the signal, the stalk would still have to be manually reset by the driver thus defeating the whole point. So probably not going to happen unless Tesla really have got a dormant column stalk motor in place already - which I seriously doubt.

The blinkers already do this in the 3. Do an auto lane change with a full blinker press, and the car turns them off when done. But the stalk is different and doesn't "stick" in position ever.

The blinkers already do this in the 3. Do an auto lane change with a full blinker press, and the car turns them off when done. But the stalk is different and doesn't "stick" in position ever.

Yeah, it's not going to work on a "mechanical" stalk like the S/X has. Given all the tech on these cars, I'm surprised they have such a low tech indicator stalk, although I've never got on with the micro-switch type that some manufacturers have tried to implement over the years.

I expect what they will do with the S/X is use the brief press function to initiate the lane change and then the stalk doesn't physically need to be reset. But that requires the driver to remember not to fully engage the stalk.

Lol.... My prior ICE car would blink the blinker 3 times and turn it off if you only partially engage the stalk. I'm so conditioned to it that I have the opposite behavior to what you describe. I have to remember TO engage the stalk more often then not.

In the UK the blink 3 times thing with a partial press is pretty much standard in all cars. But with the Model X, I've had to get used to fully engaging the stalk when using auto-lane change, so can't win really! Anyway, the quick press function is bound to be used for any auto lane change "upgrade" and for me that's worth maybe £50 over the effort of having to manually cancel it.

If FSD comes in 8 years to AP2 (a big if too), do you really think someone will be willing to pay $20K extra on a car worth probably $20K, if that (will need a new battery, everything out of warranty, could be not even worth that)?

Wrong. Confirmed by companies such as Waymo and independent researcher such as the study from Stanford that you don't have to be a tool to be killed by Level 2/3 driver's assistance features.
Robot Cars Can’t Count on Us in an Emergency

Wrong. Confirmed by companies such as Waymo and independent researcher such as the study from Stanford that you don't have to be a tool to be killed by Level 2/3 driver's assistance features.
Robot Cars Can’t Count on Us in an Emergency

Yet they say around half of all accidents are caused by inattentive drivers anyway. I suppose it all comes down to whether or not you are even more inattentive when using AP. I'm actually the opposite, I pay more attention to what is going on when AP is driving! Just this morning I had someone swerve across my lane because they were not paying attention and I decided to override AS to make sure I got well out of their way. If that car had been using AP at least it wouldn't have swerved across in the first place, so that would have been a little safer at that moment. Humans don't drive so well IME, which is why there are so many crashes and near misses. Semi-autonomous driving definitely has its issues and a driver learning curve, while FSD is more of a technical challenge especially when mixed in with human drivers on inconsistent road infrastructure.

I expect average drivers will become more experienced with semi-autonomous driving features over the next decade, in the way that many Tesla AP drivers already are. In the grand scheme of things, there have been relatively few AP related accidents so it's far from the disaster that some people are scaremongering about.

Yet they say around half of all accidents are caused by inattentive drivers anyway.
The studies concluded that as the system gets better, it is increasingly harder to stay attentive. Imagine if EAP got so good, the driver would only have to intervene but once or twice a year - guaranteed that most drivers would not be paying attention. So ironically, the better the L2/L3 works, the more dangerous it gets.

I'm actually the opposite, I pay more attention to what is going on when AP is driving!
As you should. Basically treat it as if you were an instructor driving with a student driver at the wheel who is known for getting confused easily, and occasionally gets seizures. Or think of yourself as a test pilot, testing out new, experimental technology, which can kill you. Unfortunately, most people buying EAP or FSD do not see themselves as test pilots for Tesla.