Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The option to purchase FSD disappeared in MyTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If FSD comes in 8 years to AP2 (a big if too), do you really think someone will be willing to pay $20K extra on a car worth probably $20K, if that (will need a new battery, everything out of warranty, could be not even worth that)?

Wrong. Confirmed by companies such as Waymo and independent researcher such as the study from Stanford that you don't have to be a tool to be killed by Level 2/3 driver's assistance features.
Robot Cars Can’t Count on Us in an Emergency

You would just buy a new car with the $20,000 FSD option.

Old car, the hope is you get $3,000 worth out of FSD features before its dead.

If the car has a steering wheel - you should not be killed by L2/L3 autonomy and it is your fault always.

The FSD option appeared in my profile after missing for some time. The cost is shown at $5k. It was my understanding from the electrek article a Tesla spokesman claimed the $5k cost was in error and it will be corrected to the original upgrade cost of $4k.

I don’t think it’s going back to $4,000 for current owners to be grandfathered. The only “confirmation” of that in this thread are emails some owners have received from Tesla Customer Service, but there has been nothing since the change last week and it still shows $5,000 for everyone at this point.

If it was going to change, I think we’d have heard some official word from Tesla, Elon, etc. Prepare for spending some extra cash if FSD is really impressive next month!

I don’t think it’s going back to $4,000 for current owners to be grandfathered. The only “confirmation” of that in this thread are emails some owners have received from Tesla Customer Service, but there has been nothing since the change last week and it still shows $5,000 for everyone at this point.

If it was going to change, I think we’d have heard some official word from Tesla, Elon, etc. Prepare for spending some extra cash if FSD is really impressive next month!
Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update
We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.