Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Pub - OT posts and discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche version is much cleaner looking, but look how much display space is wasted with the analogue speed display. Small fonts and tiny icons too. Really just trying to mimic a traditional 911 dash (which was never very ergonomic anyway).

porsche-taycan-ip.jpg

Contemporary 911 dash. Rev-counter is well placed and useful in full manual mode for timing up-shifts. But the analogue speedometer is next to useless. Earlier versions were even worse and often obscured by the steering wheel. Just needs replacing with nice large numerical speed like the Taycan above. For speed you are only ever going to look at the numerical speed display in the middle of the rev-counter, even though it's a bit too small and low down.

5e8b9ec3c0232078b87b2e07

Here's a 997 dash. Again with a totally useless analogue speedometer. Only chance you have of knowing precisely how fast you are going is the small LCD numerical display under the rev counter. This particular dash cost me a ticket at 35 mph in a 30 limit!

Porsche_911_%28997%29_Carrera_S_-_Flickr_-_The_Car_Spy_%282%29.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zakalwe
Early Tesla dash also had a totally useless analogue speed/power display. So glad they ditched it!
Battery indicator is very prominent too. I'm not sure I'd want it that much in my face all the time.

tesla-model-s-gauges.jpg

I much prefer the current S/X display, although it still has the useless energy graph! Battery icon is a good compromise. Easy to see, but not right in your face. Speed as a simple number is all you need. Power in analogue dial makes sense. Just delete the rolling energy graph!

TeslaV919.jpg

I can see why they ditched the dash display in the M3. There really isn't much info worth showing in an EV!

Reactions: Jez_GB
Moderator comment - this round started in Rejecting my 2020 Tesla M3P after 4 months of ownership. Sad day

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I plan to press forward with rejection of my M3P with a full refund. I don’t plan to ask for a replacement as I simply cannot risk going through this ordeal again with a brand that has not taken the known build quality issues with their cars seriously. I do plan to return in the future because I love the technology but only when I am satisfied that Tesla that made much greater strides in the build quality of their cars. At £950 per month this isn’t something I envisaged having to face. Thanks everyone and wish me luck!

BTW - there is no EV on the market that is comparable to my M3P at the price point I’m looking forward so it will be back to ICE unfortunately with a fully loaded M340i for the next 5 years until I’m hopefully back in a model 3!

Look, I fully understand your angst--Teslas can be FAR from perfect. And you've likely been treated poorly by your SC, or so I'd guess. We know this as we have owned nine of them since 2013.

Get over it.

Buying an ICE is just the absolute WRONG move. It's ghastly bad. If you have the income and intelligence to buy a Tesla, then buying ANY ICE vehicle is abhorrent and you should reconsider and stop the purchase immediately.

What part of these facts do you not understand? How can you divorce yourself from the outcome of the stunningly poor choice to buy another ICE and ADDING to the problem?

Key quote:

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

And for your children or future generations in the years ahead, you can answer their questions as to why you didn't "do something" about this planetary-scale problem presenting such a dire threat to our only planet by just telling them this:

Well, I did purchase a Tesla back in 2020 or '21, but it had many problems. When offered the opportunity to get another one I refused, and I just purchased another ICE vehicle. It spewed tons of GHG's into the air and water, but I was too self-important to give a damn about the planet I left you.

Sorry if the truth hurts, but you need to put your Big Boy pants on and give Tesla, or some another EV, your money. Otherwise, you are just part of the damn problem.

Thank you.

You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.​

--Anna Lappe

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I fully understand your angst--Teslas can be FAR from perfect. And you've likely been treated poorly by your SC, or so I'd guess. We know this as we have owned nine of them since 2013.

Get over it.

Buying an ICE is just the absolute WRONG move. It's ghastly bad. If you have the income and intelligence to buy a Tesla, then buying ANY ICE vehicle is abhorrent and you should reconsider and stop the purchase immediately.

What part of these facts do you not understand? How can you divorce yourself from the outcome of the stunningly poor choice to buy another ICE and ADDING to the problem?

Key quote:

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

And for your children or future generations in the years ahead, you can answer their questions as to why you didn't "do something" about this planetary-scale problem presenting such a dire threat to our only planet by just telling them this:

Well, I did purchase a Tesla back in 2020 or '21, but it had many problems. When offered the opportunity to get another one I refused, and I just purchased another ICE vehicle. It spewed tons of GHG's into the air and water, but I was too self-important to give a damn about the planet I left you.

Sorry if the truth hurts, but you need to put your Big Boy pants on and give Tesla, or some another EV, your money. Otherwise, you are just part of the damn problem.

Thank you.

You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.​

--Anna Lappe
Believe me i have not made this decision lightly. I have tried tried and tried harder to keep this car. If we all push Tesla to make greater strides in built quality then more people will convert from ICE - particularly german built cars. Unfortunately when all my friends who own ICE cars ask me why im always driving a courtesy car i have to tell them the truth and that in turn makes it harder for the masses to get fully on board. I tried but unfortunately it didnt work out for me. I WILL be back though!

@TSLA Pilot - we all have different priorities but I respect that not everyone is as passionate about the planet & the main criteria for many Tesla 'P' version owners is pure performance, not saving emissions vs an ICE car (& in the case of the UK at least, for company car drivers - tax advantages). The 'comparable' car the OP has mentioned has a high quality reputation, high performance and gives him street cred with those who desire such things.

Tesla have partly created this situation for themselves with supercar levels of acceleration, over-hyped promises from the CEO but a vocal undercurrent of dissatisfied customers & it is pretty clear that the OP has not taken this decision lightly.

It is not quality issues per se that damage a reputation, it's the way they are handled afterwards by the manufacturer..

Believe me i have not made this decision lightly. I have tried tried and tried harder to keep this car. If we all push Tesla to make greater strides in built quality then more people will convert from ICE - particularly german built cars. Unfortunately when all my friends who own ICE cars ask me why im always driving a courtesy car i have to tell them the truth and that in turn makes it harder for the masses to get fully on board. I tried but unfortunately it didnt work out for me. I WILL be back though!
Sorry, but this comes across as rationalization.

There ARE other EV's out there--and many more to come in the immediate future as well.

In the end, every time you start the BMW's engine, you add to the problem. Period.

Get another brand of EV, or, frankly, another Tesla--your sample size was ONE.

ONE.

Do you really think that there are thousands of others like you? Your Tesla was an anomaly; you must know that. They made some 500k cars last year and the tolerances on yours just added up wrong . . . and, yes, Tesla should up their QA and Customer Service, no question there.

Given the threat posed by the problem of unchecked GHG dumping, your choice is unacceptable and an insult to future generations.

That should not be rationalized away; on the contrary, you should feel shame.

There ARE other EV's out there--and many more to come in the immediate future as well.

In the end, every time you start the BMW's engine, you add to the problem. Period.

ONE.

Do you really think that there are thousands of others like you? Your Tesla was an anomaly; you must know that. They made some 500k cars last year and the tolerances on yours just added up wrong . . . and, yes, Tesla should up their QA and Customer Service, no question there.

Given the threat posed by the problem of unchecked GHG dumping, your choice is unacceptable and an insult to future generations.

Wow. This sentiment sucks.

He should feel shame to be happy spending £950 per month in a product that is not performing and doesn’t meet expectation?

you should come to my middle class area and judge the environmentalists that ride bikes everywhere yet own multiple diesel cars. I bet you would have a field day.

Is saving the planet on OPs shoulders?

jog clean on.

ONE.

Jeez, its posts like this that make me REGRET buying a Tesla. Wind your freakin neck in.

I do love how in the past few posts someone in America has been told to jog on and wind their neck in, terms which make me chuckle but no doubt make zero sense to the recipient! Never the less i have to agree.

I openly admit i work in O&G which no doubt makes me only one step removed from Satan himself, i am buying a M3P mainly for performance but also because it is a car which is heading in the right direction for the future and is the most polished from a functional perspective of the current EV’s on the UK Market.

In the UK where EV’s are just taking off and the infrastructure for charging other manufacturers is very weak there are real practical issues to EV ownership, so in that sense there are no legitimate alternatives to an M3P in the uk unless you spend double on a Taycan you will struggle to charge or you are happy living a more sedate pace in a car brand a premium brand owner wouldn’t consider, you cant even get an electric Merc this year if you wanted to, they are simply not delivering cars.

So lets leave the one man crusade to save the world alone and have some sympathy for a man at the end of his tether with a £60k car that routinely doesnt work, I wouldn’t accept it either and whether i accepted a replacement or not would be entirely down to the soft skills of the people i have been dealing with, the approach and service of the individuals is every bit as important as the physical resolution.

Your issues were just bad luck. The vast majority of people with Tesla's don't have these issues. The kind of people who come on the forums are much more likely to notice all this stuff, or join a forum because they are disgruntled, and so the forum makes it seem like it's 100% of Tesla owners.

I know four people with Model 3's now. Only one of us had an issue and that was with a non-working driver's seat lumber support thing. He had a bit of a wait for the appointment to fix it (NB - there is a shortage of almost anything and everything in the UK atm because of covid and brexit) but they did sort it.

I've had 2 Tesla service appointments for self-inflicted damage and there's been a bit of a wait but they got sorted.

Saying you're going to get a fossil car out of spite is madness - just order another Tesla and it'll be fine.

Jeez, its posts like this that make me REGRET buying a Tesla. Wind your freakin neck in.
Yes, of course you're right.

The OP should feel happy shortening our planet's lifespan with every fill up!

Glad you're so well informed . . . here's a tip: get a clue on the risk facing us with over a century of unchecked GHG dumping. Then, perhaps, you'd give a damn.

Thx.

Intersting arguments re carbon footprints of cars. Not getting a new car saves the equivelent of 4 years of fossil fuel keeping the old one running. Those folk that swap cars for a new one every three years are arguably the worst offenders, whatever type of car they get. Of course it's better still not to have a car at all or a new phone every time a new model comes out but then self importance, ego and the need to show off wealth and wasteful consumerism.....
Whilst it will happen (sometime, a few years?) there isn't a large scale reprocessing plant for lithium car batteries - assorted pilot plants only..

Whilst it will happen (sometime, a few years?) there isn't a large scale reprocessing plant for lithium car batteries - assorted pilot plants only..
This is actually very important, the whole end of life disposal argument was left far too late in the Nuclear industry and the associated negative press and publicity has pretty much killed the nuclear industry and the acceptance of nuclear power in the UK. Which when you look at the rise of EV’s and general push away from O&G is going to put us way behind the curve of the energy transition in the next decade.

Yes, of course you're right.

The OP should feel happy shortening our planet's lifespan with every fill up!

Glad you're so well informed . . . here's a tip: get a clue on the risk facing us with over a century of unchecked GHG dumping. Then, perhaps, you'd give a damn.

Thx.

Did you stumble here from Facebook?

I'm sure there are some valid arguments concealed in your vitriol, but wow.... very few are going to listen and engage in proper discourse when you display this kind of attitude!

Did you stumble here from Facebook?

I'm sure there are some valid arguments concealed in your vitriol, but wow.... very few are going to listen and engage in proper discourse when you display this kind of attitude!

It's a very sad indictment of the combative communication styles that pervade the internet. Surely if someone has a strongly held point of view, that they want to promote, it is important to get people on their side rather than alienating them! My views on the dangers facing the world, and our individual roles in moving things in the "right" direction are probably not a million miles away from those of @TSLA Pilot ... yet I find myself, along with other forum members, recoiling from the self righteous invective!

Intersting arguments re carbon footprints of cars. Not getting a new car saves the equivelent of 4 years of fossil fuel keeping the old one running. Those folk that swap cars for a new one every three years are arguably the worst offenders, whatever type of car they get. Of course it's better still not to have a car at all or a new phone every time a new model comes out but then self importance, ego and the need to show off wealth and wasteful consumerism.....
These comparisons are more complex, people don't destroy their old cars when they finish with them, they go into the second hand market and generally live out their full life across multiple owners. The carbon cost of manufacture needs to be spread across the full life and it's clear that an electric car is always better than an ICE.
People leasing electric cars for 3 years is going to be essential to create an active second hand market, most people aren't idiots like us splurging on new vehicles. A more useful question is whether EVs will promote more people to have cars, as that would clearly be bad. Personally I don't really see that existing forms of public transport are remotely effective for many people, and the costs are preposterous, but maybe autonomous electric taxis might be.