Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real purpose of the tri-motor Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

The tri-motor Cybertruck will be an awesome tow vehicle.

. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

We'll be using the Cybertruck as our main family travel vehicle, due to the storage capacity, seating, and range. I would also point out that the Raptor and RAM TRX absolutely don't need the performance characteristics either...but people sure do seem to desire them.

Of course, yes, towing is definitely a reason Tesla is pushing for longer range...but you'd think if that was the sole purpose they'd offer similar range on the Dual Motor.

Car camping for me.

. . . is towing.

Yeah, having just done the trip from LA in a car with 325 miles of range, yet I had to stop TWICE for power I am beginning to seriously think about getting the TriMotor instead of the AWD I ordered. Wind and rain can limit your range.

I'll have to look around for a 14,000lb trailer now. Have we figured out if we can tow a 5th wheel yet?

While I'm excited that the CT trimotor can tow, when I ran trip simulations in ABRP. The only vehicle that was comparable in all sorts of trip times with my Model 3 LR-AWD, was the Cyber triple. From 300 mile trips to 3000 mile trips, the Cyber double took much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Not sure what that means. We don't know how long the cT will take to charge but it cannot match the TM3. Oh, do you mean that you charge to 80% of 500 miles and then you can skip one of the stops that the TM3 would need to make to get that 500 miles?

Perhaps I am confused by the 300 mile low end on your example. Assumably both a dual cT and a TM3 can be filled before the trip and should BOTH make the trip on one charge (although you'll arrive on fumes).

There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles.
tenor.gif

. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles.
I can see a use of 500+ miles without towing. If I plan to spend my vacation somewhere in Rocky Mountains with little or no access to electricity (super- or any-charger) (like this: Google Maps) and about 200 miles of driving to the nearest supercharger, a 500+ miles capable Cybertruck will have a big advantage over lower-mileage models.

. . . is towing.

2 things a bigger battery pack helps with

1. The rated range will not be achieved but the 20-80% SOC will be standard, your 500 mile vehicle has just become a 300-400
2. the battery pack can accept a high charge rate for a longer period of time

I am getting a tri motor because I feel it is the best BEV value on the market today and for me will be a daily driver, I have an ICE truck for when I need to work

2 things a bigger battery pack helps with

1. The rated range will not be achieved but the 20-80% SOC will be standard, your 500 mile vehicle has just become a 300-400
I laugh every time I see posts about range increases as we all know they are rarely ever achieved in real world (let alone highway miles). Since I do most of my longer commutes at 70+ mph, I'll certainly plan to only see around 350-400 miles of actual range. Let's not even mention range in the winter regions...My X (2016) barely achieves 80 miles on a full charge when temps dip below 40F.

What will be the range hit towing a 10000 pound trailer at 30 below

Depends on aerodynamics and how many layers the driver is wearing ;)

I lived in the Midwest for seven years. I saw people pulling boats and campers everywhere in the summer, but rarely saw anyone towing anything in the winter months. Towing a big boat at 30 below is pretty sketchy even with a diesel F-250 dually. Even here in California I see far fewer trailers during rainy season. Towing is mostly a summertime thing.

Yeah, having just done the trip from LA in a car with 325 miles of range, yet I had to stop TWICE for power I am beginning to seriously think about getting the TriMotor instead of the AWD I ordered. Wind and rain can limit your range.

I'll have to look around for a 14,000lb trailer now. Have we figured out if we can tow a 5th wheel yet?

I’m having the same thought. Please let us know what CT and trailer you select.

If I want to even attempt to drive around the North Maine Woods, I would need 500 miles of BEV range. It's really the minimum range you'd want. And people up here driving ICE pickups frequently carry extra fuel with them for an emergency- something you can't do with an EV. I dare say the 500 mi range Cybertruck will be the first actual adventure vehicle Tesla will make.