Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The real purpose of the tri-motor Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll be using the Cybertruck as our main family travel vehicle, due to the storage capacity, seating, and range. I would also point out that the Raptor and RAM TRX absolutely don't need the performance characteristics either...but people sure do seem to desire them.

Of course, yes, towing is definitely a reason Tesla is pushing for longer range...but you'd think if that was the sole purpose they'd offer similar range on the Dual Motor.

Second this. I don't foresee myself ever towing anything. But the reasoning was that the CT is THE perfect EV given our needs:
Family of 4 with kids that does many outdoor activities (biking, snowboarding... etc)
500miles is the absolute top range we'd be able to do with the kids in one day worth of driving for road trips. Meaning no stopping just for charging.
Really tough (kids are just as bad as animals.. so you get the idea) with lil worries to ding/dent.
Hauling stuff like furniture or big shopping trips.

. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

The tri-motor Cybertruck will be an awesome tow vehicle.
I have a need for a vehicle with 500+ miles range. My job takes me into rural Alberta where there is 0 fast charging infrastructure, and no plans to build any. I can't afford the tri-motor cybertruck. So that makes me SOL for going for a BEV in the near-future.

Reactions: Saturday
Wife agreed to a Tesla pickup (sight unseen, that changed) with "only if it can pull whatever trailer I want".
Yes towing is important, and I'm still skittish about the sloped sides vs a 5th wheel. (WTH do they call it that?)

We do make a 1200 mile run (each way, no towing) at least annually. The fewer stops the happier we are. FSD will help immensely with that. High capacity battery with a large rapid-charge range (20%-80%) will make recharging en route more tolerable than having to really top off a ~300 mile battery (with a long 80-100% charge).

Of course Zombie Apocalypse Readiness is important too. With Antifa & co not showing signs of slowing down their "peaceful protests", and other social unrest brewing, I want something that can survive light assault and power thru mundane barriers without much worry about occupant safety.

And while I'll rarely throw big/heavy/dirty stuff in the bed, nice to know I can without fuss when I need to.

I'd get that looked at. Our MX90D achieved ~190 miles Hwy at < 0°F.
They claim its normal. I'm a bit skeptical on your highway claim for a 2016 90D, haven't seen anyone mention being able to climb above 150 miles at highway range, let alone in sub-zero temps. When it's warm outside and at 70 mph, I'm cutting it close at 140 miles of actual highway range.

Reactions: Cueonly
They claim its normal. I'm a bit skeptical on your highway claim for a 2016 90D, haven't seen anyone mention being able to climb above 150 miles at highway range, let alone in sub-zero temps. When it's warm outside and at 70 mph, I'm cutting it close at 140 miles of actual highway range.

It was a 2017, and I can't exactly provide any more evidence other than we were able to drive to and from Missouri in the Fall/Winter several times over the 3 year term of the lease. It also displayed 254 miles @ 100% when we turned it in...though I can't provide evidence of that either.

It was a 2017, and I can't exactly provide any more evidence other than we were able to drive to and from Missouri in the Fall/Winter several times over the 3 year term of the lease. It also displayed 254 miles @ 100% when we turned it in...though I can't provide evidence of that either.
All good, you must've had the unicorn (I'm just jealous of that range from a 90 pack)!

It doesn't need armor glass either but as Elon said "do you want your truck to be bullet proof or not?" Same goes for its performance. I'm getting the tri-motor CT because it has amazing performance and longer range. I'll be able to take it on all sorts of camping trips and on longer trips won't have to worry about charging as frequently. Towing is just a bonus.

Until the reveal, I was ready to pull the trigger on the new CT but the bed design was a deal breaker for me. I share the same concern with several when it comes to its actual functionality. I pull a 5th wheel camper with my current F250 and that clearly won't work with the CT. The goosenecks may be fine but the risk is higher for jackknifing or damaging the sides of the truck and camper.

Simple things like loading stuff from the sides of the truck appear difficult too. Something as simple as dropping in a 5gal gas can near the cab would be a challenge unless your 7ft tall. Retrieving it would mean climbing onto the truck from the tail gate. My initial impression is that the CT is impractical as "truck" but more like an SUV. The old Chevy Avalanche comes to mind. Pulling tagalongs would be perfectly suited but that's about it as far as towing.

The towing specs are insane coming from these new electric SUV/Trucks we're seeing like the CT and Hummer. It's nice they can pull 100k lbs but the more important thing to me is stopping that weight. They may be able to pull like a train but they'll stop like one too.

I guess for now I'll keep the F250 and enjoy my Model 3. I would love to see a commercial class pick-up from Tesla. Perhaps even a dually. I'll trade everything I got for something like that.

Nothing is ever bullet proof. Bullet resistant yes Can't wait for the videos of people shooting at the truck to test it. If it is bullet proof why doesn't Tesla certify it as such using the armor rating certification. Test the ballistic resistance of the Cybertruck's body panels and/or windshield

Last edited:
I do wish people would lighten up about the colloquial term "bulletproof".

Yes, it (whatever "it" is) is not "bulletproof" against sufficiently fast/heavy/incendiary bullets; few products indeed will withstand a .50BMG SLAP round.
Yes, Elon used the term "bulletproof" for something not certified ballistic armor - it will stop lightweight normal-velocity 9mm under limited conditions ... unlike most vehicles for which such penetrates with ease.

If you're earnest about the "bulletproof" term, obviously you need look for something certified to an armor rating, which Cybertruck isn't (maybe because there aren't enough Cybertrucks to expend for ballistic ratings yet). Otherwise, recognize it's just a colloquial term for providing some level of resistance to common street-thug guns.

In time, someone will get a ballistic certification for Cybertruck. Let's get the pickups into production first.

. . . is towing.

I'm sure lots of people have realized this. There's no point to a truck doing 0-60 in 3s, or getting 500+ miles of range on a charge. You're not drag racing a pickup and you are not going to hold your pee for 500 miles. The point of the tri-motor, 500mi range Cybertruck is to get decent (~250mi) range and a sub-10s 0-60 time while towing a big trailer!

The tri-motor Cybertruck will be an awesome tow vehicle.
Few thoughts:

1. It will be capable of towing much more than advertised
2. It offers the ability for much better traction in un-even conditions. When one tire is high-sided as an example.
3. I love speed and so there's that ;)

Until the reveal, I was ready to pull the trigger on the new CT but the bed design was a deal breaker for me. I share the same concern with several when it comes to its actual functionality. I pull a 5th wheel camper with my current F250 and that clearly won't work with the CT. The goosenecks may be fine but the risk is higher for jackknifing or damaging the sides of the truck and camper.

Please do not try towing a 5th wheel/gooseneck from the bed of a Cybertruck.

If you have such a trailer, you should get a dolly such as Safety Towing Systems, Inc.