TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Rear Thump Sound

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tstafford, Feb 17, 2016.

1. tstafford

tstafford Member

All,

I know there have been some threads on the thump sound that sounds like someone is bumping in to your rear end. Seems to happen when the car is at a stop for a minute or two and is, for me, very uncommon.

I'm going in to the SC for another reason and I'm thinking about mentioning it to them. Has anyone had experience dealing with the SC on this "issue"?

Thanks.
    Tim

2. PaulR

PaulR Member

Of course the SC is the best place to get your answer.... but here's an alternative which: sounds | Search Results | TeslaTap

3. garygid

garygid Member

Mother-in-Law accidentally left in the trunk? :eek::

Not a normal noise, at least not in my S85 if Nov 2014.
    Could be the parking brake mechanism, perhaps test that?

4. Nitram

Nitram Member

My Dec 2014 S85 has starting making this kind of noise recently.
    Very odd as it happens at full stop only. It is not very loud, but a very low-frequency sound. It is as if some torque was still applied to the transmission, then suddenly not applied anymore, releasing tension on the drive train. But there is absolutely no shake or vibration when it happens.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

My 2013 S85 used to make that noise/feel, someone I was giving a ride to actually thought we were rear ended, that's how bad mine was.
    Took it to the SC and they replaced the DU

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I was the one who started the other thread. They did nothing, but they're aware of it. They "send it off to engineering"

7. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

My 85D makes a thump sound too, same scenario after sitting for a minute it happens. First time I thought someone rear ended me.

8. DJung

DJung Member

Oh, I thought it was normal sound. Well it looks like I'm getting my DU replaced for the milling noise as well next week, I'll be hitting two birds with one Drive Unit

9. Joe Harsanyi

Joe Harsanyi Member

Me too. Rare......so I often think some one is bumping into my rear end when it happens. Annoying; but so far not a major issue.

10. m2140

m2140 Member

I hear the same noise as well. Usually when the car is stopped waiting to pick up the kids from school. Sounds like another card door right next to mine is closing and you can sometime feel a pressure change. I though it was normal. But it does get me every time.

11. cytranic

cytranic Member

I have the same thing on my 85D... It started after the last update. I thought it was some type of torque sleep..... Sometimes air suspension causes the breaks to grind while raising and lowering. I thought this might have something to do with it as well.

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

FWIW - I have coil suspension.

13. wizputer

wizputer Member

The first 2 times I used a supercharger (after delivery) I had this happen. Haven't had it happen since.
    I was sitting in the car and just feel this bone jarring clunk. 2nd time it happened, my passenger thought we had been rear ended.

90D w/ SAS, delivered 9/25/2015 and both occurrences sometime in the couple months.

14. Atebit

Atebit Member

Upgraded my FW this afternoon, tonight I heard the thump for the firs time(s) when stopped at a light. I say time(s) because it was a long light, and I heard multiple thumps (seemed like every 5 seconds or so) while my foot was on the brake.

15. bryanle1

bryanle1 Member

Although i've only have the car for a week, tonight was the first time I heard the thump at a red light. Happened maybe 2 or 3 time before the light turned green. Also had the fw update yesterday. Could this be related?

16. m2140

m2140 Member

I don't think it is. I've heard the sound well before the last updated this year

17. mrjwen

mrjwen Member

I've been noticing this too. I keep having the moment of fear that I've been rear-ended. Any word on what this may be?

18. amallah

amallah Member

I hear this too - same scenario. I'm stopped, paying attention to something else - it immediately makes me look up and see if I just got bumped. If someone gets an explanation, I'd love to know.

19. garygid

garygid Member

Is this thump still happening cars with revision 2.16.17 software?

20. PaulR

PaulR Member

tstafford you might want to take a look over at Teslatap.com at this link:

Sounds of Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

The great guys over there have tons of undocumented information about the Tesla models including a recording of common sounds....

Of course, it never hurts to ask the guys at the service center as well.