Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The reason 7 seats are now coming to the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the reason why the 7 seater model Y is going to start production next month is because the single rear stamping design is probably ready for production at Freemont and with that design it will free up a little more rear interior room for the 3rd seat occupants!

I am also looking forward to see how they do it because it looks really really cramped back there and I don't think they'll release a 3rd row that's not practical.
The slope of the rear roof suggests the heads of the rear occupants can only be adjacent to the heads of the 2nd row occupants which means rear facing only. Unless the single piece rear casting lowers the 3rd row seat by a lot!

I am also looking forward to see how they do it because it looks really really cramped back there and I don't think they'll release a 3rd row that's not practical.
The slope of the rear roof suggests the heads of the rear occupants can only be adjacent to the heads of the 2nd row occupants which means rear facing only. Unless the single piece rear casting lowers the 3rd row seat by a lot!

Yes, this will be interesting indeed! There DOES seem to be plenty of leg room on my 5 seater, so maybe I’m just no ‘seeing it’ right now wrt how 7 seats fit. Maybe rear facing seats? I’m guessing some reinforcement will be in there too, like it was on the S with rear facing seats.

They could always remove the under storage in the back to get some more leg room and drop the seats. Sitting in a hole in the floor lol

Reactions: NY_Rob
Forward facing based on the images. See seatbelts and hinges.

5A91A4DC-09A5-4390-A621-FB7C0F06C0AF.jpeg
A05DDCA9-3A5B-466C-9D0E-2C4E82D8AC9D.jpeg

I guess kids sit in the rear seat with their heads against the rear hatch glass. The third row folds flat, so it seems that the seat cushion depth may be lower than indicated by the underfloor compartment in the current 5 seater. So perhaps the new back end casting does create some more room by allowing more seat depth at the third row.

Reactions: captanzuelo
If you look at how the depressions under the carpeted segments in the cargo area appear. It looks fairly obvious that the seats will be placed rear facing (Seat in the shallow underseat compartment right behind 2nd row) and passenger feet will go into the large underfloor compartment.

My guess is that the casting will not change anything (based on my theory that all engineers are lazy) and that the seats will be available for retrofitting to older models.

Reactions: imola.zhp
If you look at how the depressions under the carpeted segments in the cargo area appear. It looks fairly obvious that the seats will be placed rear facing.

You'd think that but the pics on their website show front-facing. So do the spy-shots. They're clearly for kids (or smaller adults in a pinch) and will require some sort of sliding and/or flip/fold redesign of the 2nd row seats.

EKyiRlsW4AEWJWj.jpeg
20200118_tesla_model_y_2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: damageprone