Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The reason I got a 2022 Plaid was it had the Ultrasonic Sensors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
...which, currently, I have a preference for over Tesla Vision. I've been under the impression that my 2022 Model S Plaid is equipped with HW4, and I've been unsure whether Full Self-Driving (FSD) is compatible with it. My sister in law got a 2023 Model X Plaid w/FSD, FSD isn't enabled.

Honestly, I've been tossing around so many acronyms that I've become somewhat disoriented. I consulted a Tesla Sales Advisor, and they assured me that FSD is fully compatible with my car. While I believe they are correct, unfortunately, subscribing to this feature is not currently possible in Canada, and the $16k cost is a significant commitment if it doesn't function as expected. Can anyone with a 2022 Model S confirm this?

...which, currently, I have a preference for over Tesla Vision. I've been under the impression that my 2022 Model S Plaid is equipped with HW4, and I've been unsure whether Full Self-Driving (FSD) is compatible with it. My sister in law got a 2023 Model X Plaid w/FSD, FSD isn't enabled.

Honestly, I've been tossing around so many acronyms that I've become somewhat disoriented. I consulted a Tesla Sales Advisor, and they assured me that FSD is fully compatible with my car. While I believe they are correct, unfortunately, subscribing to this feature is not currently possible in Canada, and the $16k cost is a significant commitment if it doesn't function as expected. Can anyone with a 2022 Model S confirm this?
HW4 was released around March ‘23, so you likely do not have it. Regardless, your car can support FSD… but please review everything that’s been reported about it. In summary, FSD doesn’t add much value except some parlor tricks. Enhanced AP has nice features like auto lane change and summon. IMO, save your money and don’t worry about FSD or HW3 vs 4. It is better to have the parking sensors, and your standard AP should provide majority of useful features as is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HW4 was released around March ‘23, so you likely do not have it. Regardless, your car can support FSD… but please review everything that’s been reported about it. In summary, FSD doesn’t add much value except some parlor tricks. Enhanced AP has nice features like auto lane change and summon. IMO, save your money and don’t worry about FSD or HW3 vs 4. It is better to have the parking sensors, and your standard AP should provide majority of useful features as is.

What about older legacy S vehicles being offered a camera upgrade? Does this impact USS or the current functionality of EAP?

Upvote 0
What about older legacy S vehicles being offered a camera upgrade? Does this impact USS or the current functionality of EAP?
I’m not positive, but from what I’ve read and what Elon said during Earnings call, HW3 cars cannot be upgraded to HW4 (assume that means processors, cameras, radar, wiring harnesses).

However, the cameras and processor can be updated on legacy HW2.5 cars that purchased FSD (to HW3). Anyway, USS is also firmware dependent, so Tesla may keep them functional for parking and other short range detection, unrelated to primary AP.

My 2021 Refresh said it was switching to Tesla Vision last year after a firmware update, but USS still works independently (I know this bc one of my sensors broke, and now car says that Parking detection is disabled).

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLC
Upvote 0
How did people ever live in the olden days without uss sensors? /s

I admit, I don’t even look at them on the screen. I do back in everywhere. Easy to see the lines with the side mirrors and the back with the rear camera.
Maybe you are the only one driving your car...

In general, USS works far better than the TV alternative. Driver aids are popular for a reason. While I could get by without them, why should I? They lessen the risk of inadvertently hitting something and work well, whether dark or light out. It reduces my workload and comes in handy when I am tired or maybe not as attentive as I should be. I can tell you without them my wife would have smacked the nose of our 3 or S repeatedly.

I purposely bought a 2022 just for USS as FSD likely won't work well even on HW4. So why give up something I use every day: USS.

Upvote 0
I glad some see the value of USS. Takes some of the sting out of the massive depreciation on my '22🥺

I am surprised more of the '23 owners are not pissed about HW4 doing anything after 6 months.

Wish I had the lighter roof, and larger rear screen. But having USS is something I use every day.

Took off the T and added word art to the hatch lid. Looks like a newer car than it is unless you get close to the cameras.

Upvote 0