Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The recent price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point that a lot of hard core tesla fan boys don't understand is that this move by tesla was nothing short of a sucker punch to us all. That's just a fact.

What tesla did was pretty extreme that tanked the value across the board. It's not like tesla dropped prices by a few thousand.

I get the side that are saying that you accepted the price when you bought the car, of course duh, but that's not the greater point here. What people are trying to point out is the punk move by tesla for screwing all of us over, yes even you fan boys. So to say that you don't care, well... that's one of the qualities of a fan boy.

It is not unreasonable given the extreme circumstances for tesla to at least provide some kind of incentive for those that bought within a certain period. The fan boys that aren't getting the point here need to realize that even a small gesture would go a long way from tesla for screwing so many people over.

For those that bought in 2022, hey at least you have the ultra sonic sensors. Pathetic that they even removed them I know. The chess move by tesla is pretty obvious in that they were trying to meet the tax guidelines, which led them to cost cut.

Removing stuff without even having a solution ready that's better than what they removed is not called a feature or an upgrade people. Get your heads out of the sand and wake up.

But of course, no matter how much evidence and info you present to a fan boy, these people will never get it and will remain in denial of the facts. It's a lost cause.

What's up with the whole removing of the rear Brembos on the MYP btw and painting the plastic calipers red? Insult to injury much?

SMH...

But wait! It's an upgrade remember? Enjoy the new feature.

Last edited:
You haven’t lost anything if you’re not planning to sell. You bought a car at a price you determined to be acceptable to you at the time you bought it.

That's not true. There are cases like @YNoVA that are riding on thin ice due to the extreme price drops that tanked the value across the board. So yes, it is a loss in the form of value and leaving a lot of people in a situation that tesla brought onto them. It doesn't matter whether you plan to sell your tesla or keep it, the hit is the same and there is pain in both situations.

This isn't some normal or natural rate of depreciation going on here. Like I said it was a sucker punk in the gut for you, me and everyone else. Whether people can admit to that or not is on them, but the fact is that we all did lose some serious value.

A fair price is what people are willing to pay for the product at the time. Look at the housing market. Houses can change value by 100k or more over the course of 30 days. Do they go asking the seller for a rebate after? No at the time you thought it was a fair price. Also as per Tesla/Elon the prices are based on anticipated cost of materials, labor, etc when your car will be built and you guessed it....demand. Since demand has dropped the profit/vehicle will go down but supply and demand is a fundamental of capitalism. Welcome to your economics lesson in real life. If you think a price is inflated at a time wait and see what happens before committing.

This is just false. Many of those (including me) put a big down payment down on the car and did not get GAP. With the recent price drop, our vehicles' values have dropped tremendously. We are now driving a ticking time bomb that can be involved in an accident at any moment, totaled, and places us on the hook for paying the loan off.

So we actually did lose something.. our positive equity.

I can see that scenario playing out. But if this scenario puts you in any sort of financial bind, then perhaps people that could be in that situation should not be purchasing a $70k vehicle....its a luxury/toy....not a necessity.

A fair price is what people are willing to pay for the product at the time. Look at the housing market. Houses can change value by 100k or more over the course of 30 days. Do they go asking the seller for a rebate after? No at the time you thought it was a fair price. Also as per Tesla/Elon the prices are based on anticipated cost of materials, labor, etc when your car will be built and you guessed it....demand. Since demand has dropped the profit/vehicle will go down but supply and demand is a fundamental of capitalism. Welcome to your economics lesson in real life. If you think a price is inflated at a time wait and see what happens before committing.
The biggest difference is that Tesla has unilateral control over what a new Tesla sells for, not the market. If an agency, for example, engaged in price fixing to control the prices of real estate in a certain market, there would be legal repercussions against that agency. Tesla enjoys nearly monopolistic power in the US EV market; that type of control is something our government has sought to curtail since the Sherman act of 1890. When the major player in a sector makes a huge adjustment that moves the entire sector the FTC absolutely takes notice. Tesla has the right to set their own prices, but I’m sure they’re gonna be required to have a conversation with regulators and explain why they’re doing what they’re doing.

That's not true. There are cases like @YNoVA that are riding on thin ice due to the extreme price drops that tanked the value across the board. So yes, it is a loss in the form of value and leaving a lot of people in a situation that tesla brought onto them. It doesn't matter whether you plan to sell your tesla or keep it, the hit is the same and there is pain in both situations.

This isn't some normal or natural rate of depreciation going on here. Like I said it was a sucker punk in the gut for you, me and everyone else. Whether people can admit to that or not is on them, but the fact is that we all did lose some serious value.

Rule number 1 when buying a depreciating asset.....dont put yourself on thin ice.

Yeah... some people call it a bubble (like tech bubble, housing bubble, tulip bubble, etc.. etc..) Imagine spending your life's fortune only to have a bunch of tulips at the end. Crazy, right? Thank God, I assume you didn't spend your life's fortune, and you still managed to get an awesome car while helping transition away from ICE vehicles.

To be honest, this level of irrationality regarding the drop has shocked me. What it has taught me is that a lot of Tesla buyers seemingly do not know basic economics. Also, to alot of people, Tesla the brand, has been associated with "premium" quality and "exclusivity" which was never Elon's intent for Tesla.

Reactions: bkp_duke
The biggest difference is that Tesla has unilateral control over what a new Tesla sells for, not the market.
This is wholly incorrect. Tesla's oft-stated goal is to get to 20M vehicles year, and each year they raise production ~50%. As 2022 dwindled, so did Tesla's order backlog, to the point that inventory at the end of the year was higher than they need it to be . They'll continue to raise production in 2023. Now, in January of 2023, the market has decided and signaled via order rate that the prices Tesla had been charging for its products were too high.

This is not rocket science, and to be blunt, significant price reductions could be seen coming a mile away to people paying close enough attention. Here's one example from a month ago, but it is far from the only indicator.

To be honest, this level of irrationality regarding the drop has shocked me. What it has taught me is that a lot of Tesla buyers seemingly do not know basic economics. Also, to alot of people, Tesla the brand, has been associated with "premium" quality and "exclusivity" which was never Elon's intent for Tesla.
I won't say it's shocked me, as I've been around long enough to have seen (and been on both sides of) Tesla's prior pricing changes. But yegads, folks--when you make a major purchase, you decide whether you're willing to pay a certain price for a certain product. That's the extent of it. Things change. I bought a property last year, and then interest rates went up significantly and market prices adjusted accordingly. Am I at the doorstep of the Fed claiming compensation? No, I am not.

I feel for you all. But some of these claims are just absurd.

If you aren't willing to pay more to Tesla afterward had the price increased, then you have no moral high ground to stand on. A deal is a deal. Same is true for every other auto company and product you can buy or sell in America today.
The point everyone is making is a 20% decrease is ridiculous in the car market. 5-10% although still very large for this market I can handle.
Then the fed rebate - oouch. - we all knew about but so much uncertainty with which models and timeframe due to unknown source of the production minerals..... Whole thing stinks of Billionaire B/S sticking it to the working class.

Does no one remember that all other cars and dealerships were selling new cars OVER MSRP?? And now cars are at or below MSRP? Does no one remember that? Does no one remember used cars selling MORE than new MSRP cars? For example the MB G Wagon?

All those people chose to pay over MSRP or buy expensive used cars because that was the market at the time. Now the market calmed down and more cars are available and prices have dropped across different car brands. So it makes sense that Tesla prices would drop.

I am serious, does no one remember the crazy mark ups?? I recall a friend paying over 20K MRSP for a Toyota Thundra TRD Pro.

You made the choice to make a purchase during the time when market was inflated. It is what it is. It is not just Tesla, it is every other car maker, its just that others have dealership as escape goat.

The point everyone is making is a 20% decrease is ridiculous in the car market. 5-10% although still very large for this market I can handle.
Then the fed rebate - oouch. - we all knew about but so much uncertainty with which models and timeframe due to unknown source of the production minerals..... Whole thing stinks of Billionaire B/S sticking it to the working class.
your statement makes sense when you assume that you are entitled for something or anything.
20% drop is a lot, but you are not losing money (since Tesla is not taking money from your bank or charge your credit cards).

It never makes sense to include automobile equity in any calculation of personal wealth (unless the car is a collectible). If you have anything more than a tiny percentage of your financial net worth tied up in a car, then you made a mistake in purchasing it. As everyone knows, they are depreciating assets unlike every other component that makes up net wealth (real estate, stocks, bonds, gold, silver, etc). Sure the other assets may vary up and down in value, but in general the value doesn't go to zero over time.

This is wholly incorrect. Tesla's oft-stated goal is to get to 20M vehicles year, and each year they raise production ~50%. As 2022 dwindled, so did Tesla's order backlog, to the point that inventory at the end of the year was higher than they need it to be . They'll continue to raise production in 2023. Now, in January of 2023, the market has decided and signaled via order rate that the prices Tesla had been charging for its products were too high.

You wholly proved that what I said was correct. Who set the aforementioned oft-stated goal? Tesla. If you have an internal goal and you change your actions to meet your internal goal that’s you unilaterally controlling said action. It’s how a cartel functions. Sure they take into consideration market factors, but they’re not compelled to completely let those factors control their actions as would an organization that has no control over how the market dictates their prices. We all know that these price changes have nothing to do with inventories or production it’s all about getting under the threshold for the tax credit; that’s not rocket science. The question regulators may ask if if your product is only worth what you’re selling it for today what changed overnight. That’s an easy answer. Prior to Jan 1 they did not set their prices based on the demand curve but instead the marginal revenue curve; that’s not free market capitalism. The fact that this shock to their pricing power led to such a big drop is illustrative of that fact.

Last edited:
Yep Billionaires often offer 20% discounts to stick it to you. That’s definitely the motive.

But you're blaming the wrong entity. The entity causing all this mayhem in the entire EV/hybrid auto market right now is the government with its ridiculous role out of IRA. Tesla would not be going through all these price, delivery, and inventory gyrations if it wasn't for IRA.

It's not Tesla's fault. They have to sell cars to stay in business - every, single, day. IRA put the brakes on selling cars and inventory surged.

Reactions: bkp_duke
The biggest difference is that Tesla has unilateral control over what a new Tesla sells for, not the market.
What are the fundamental economic principles on YOUR planet? 😂

Tesla has “unilateral control” over the price of their products in the same way I have unilateral control over my hourly rate.

If my hourly rate is 30% higher than the market will bear, I’m not gonna be selling many hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.