Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Saga continues.....Regretting this purchase

What should i do?

• This is the normal "Tesla" experience

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Hire a attorney

Votes: 36 49.3%
  • Keep wasting time and letting them try to fix

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update ,

Mobile service came out 5/31/18 to address some rattles and speaker issues causing the door panels to resonate/buzz.

He had a poor attitude we got into it as he refused to fix the noise as he said I was using a YouTube clip to cause the door to buzz and not normal music , I explained that I took the time to find a audio test to reproduce my problem since the SC was unable to when the had the car last time around. Problem was now reproduced and coming from the door control ecu and speaker grill cover that pops into the door panel. I told the tech he is being difficult and I just want it fixed as he knows where it is originating from , said if it does not get fixed my next step is gettting a attorney and having the car bought back , he then said I have nothing left to say to you and got in his truck left my car in pieces with his tools there.

Service center manager called me 10 minutes later telling me I need to give him space and not watch over his shoulder ( I put the car in a empty 12k sq ft warehouse for him and he also pulled his truck inside) that I am making a safety hazard , tech also lied and said I was playing extremely loud music that physically hurt him and I refused to turn it down , all of which is a lie. The tech only did ever state that I don’t here the rattle but what your playing is making me sick. It was only a 10 second portion of a YouTube speaker test , I will find and post later.

I confronted the tech while I had the svc mgr on the phone asking why he went and made up this story. He refused to answer just said I don’t want to argue we can work on the car or I can leave. This whole situation does not sit well with me.

Svc mgr then went on how he is doing this as goodwill and the warranty does not need to cover rattles and such with the audio system as it’s performing fine. I explained I paid for a premium audio system and should be able to enjoy it without such problems.

Ultimately the tech cooled down and we worked together for a few hours going thru each door panel. It’s a lot better now although the fix is kind of sloppy , just jamming foam against items.

Overall it feels like they don’t understand the concept of service and making it right , they feel they are doing me a favor.

Next morning I came out to my car , drivers side door opened itself in the rain , handle buzzing won’t retract or open now. Mobile service is coming again for the handle. Currently have to open the door from passenger side.

I also notice that many issues seem to get forgotten and not put on paper. still waiting for my paperwork on the extended 2 yr warranty i was promised for all the troubles so far.

Attachments

• 2018-05-31 15.46.41.jpg
    2018-05-31 15.46.41.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 2018-05-31 15.46.35.jpg
    2018-05-31 15.46.35.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2018-05-31 14.49.56.jpg
    2018-05-31 14.49.56.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 2018-05-31 21.42.34.jpg
    2018-05-31 21.42.34.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
Quick update ,

Mobile service came out 5/31/18 to address some rattles and speaker issues causing the door panels to resonate/buzz.

He had a poor attitude we got into it as he refused to fix the noise as he said I was using a YouTube clip to cause the door to buzz and not normal music , I explained that I took the time to find a audio test to reproduce my problem since the SC was unable to when the had the car last time around. Problem was now reproduced and coming from the door control ecu and speaker grill cover that pops into the door panel. I told the tech he is being difficult and I just want it fixed as he knows where it is originating from , said if it does not get fixed my next step is gettting a attorney and having the car bought back , he then said I have nothing left to say to you and got in his truck left my car in pieces with his tools there.

Service center manager called me 10 minutes later telling me I need to give him space and not watch over his shoulder ( I put the car in a empty 12k sq ft warehouse for him and he also pulled his truck inside) that I am making a safety hazard , tech also lied and said I was playing extremely loud music that physically hurt him and I refused to turn it down , all of which is a lie. The tech only did ever state that I don’t here the rattle but what your playing is making me sick. It was only a 10 second portion of a YouTube speaker test , I will find and post later.

I confronted the tech while I had the svc mgr on the phone asking why he went and made up this story. He refused to answer just said I don’t want to argue we can work on the car or I can leave. This whole situation does not sit well with me.

Svc mgr then went on how he is doing this as goodwill and the warranty does not need to cover rattles and such with the audio system as it’s performing fine. I explained I paid for a premium audio system and should be able to enjoy it without such problems.

Ultimately the tech cooled down and we worked together for a few hours going thru each door panel. It’s a lot better now although the fix is kind of sloppy , just jamming foam against items.

Overall it feels like they don’t understand the concept of service and making it right , they feel they are doing me a favor.

Next morning I came out to my car , drivers side door opened itself in the rain , handle buzzing won’t retract or open now. Mobile service is coming again for the handle. Currently have to open the door from passenger side.

I also notice that many issues seem to get forgotten and not put on paper. still waiting for my paperwork on the extended 2 yr warranty i was promised for all the troubles so far.

I’ve experienced similar treatment at the SC. Sorry you have to go through this.

I'm an attorney (in California) and I have a lot of pull in Indianapolis.

PM me and we can talk.
Like I said, get a lawyer and get rid of this car. The more you and other people screw with it trying to fix things, the more things are going to get broken.

you have a point here , I got the car back with a small dent on the fender probably from them leaning in to change the steering rack and also the a pillar is no longer fitting correctly & a plastic panel hangs off due to a broken tab. All of which they tried to silently hand back.

Do I just have a bad S100D , try for another or get money and walk away? I do love the car....

you have a point here , I got the car back with a small dent on the fender probably from them leaning in to change the steering rack and also the a pillar is no longer fitting correctly & a plastic panel hangs off due to a broken tab. All of which they tried to silently hand back.

Do I just have a bad S100D , try for another or get money and walk away? I do love the car....
It seems you are already on their s--- list, how do you think it will go if you get a new car and call them for service on that one?
Get your money and walk away. Watch how the whole service/reliability situation plays out over the next few years and then consider going back.
Nobody should have to deal with these issues or be treated like this.

It seems you are already on their s--- list, how do you think it will go if you get a new car and call them for service on that one?
Get your money and walk away. Watch how the whole service/reliability situation plays out over the next few years and then consider going back.

Yes , would agree that it feels that way now. emails and calls are going unanswered , getting some push back on things getting fixed.

i think a large part of the issue might be the staffing and attitudes of those i am working with, they do not understand that someone should not have to go thru this. i literally have not received a single sorry or offer for any type of comp for all of this. its been more to the tune we are bending over backwards for you.

this has been the single worst purchase i have made in regards to service received , time wasted , annoyance. i do like the car very much. i also get this weird vibe that they feel they own YOUR car.

i asked the tech installing the foam to see it first and was met with much resistance , he did not tell or show me until later in the day when he lost his attitude with me and i asked again. they have a strange sense of ownership with my vehicle. asking to see the products they are using & see the work done to the door before it is closed up is not unreasonable considering its being done at my place & i own the vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004

If you have the ability to fix buzzing from speakers or other sources , I suggest you fix it yourself. There are many people that have fixed them here that can help. As for major issues, if you have another service center near you, you might want to switch to that one. My closest center has been great at fixing my issues so far so bad service may be an issue with that service center.

Reactions: croman
I've never had to hold more than 1 minute to get someone on Tesla's national service line. Am I just lucky?

Depends on your local SC. My SC/ Sales used to not answer any calls - to the SC, to the sales dept, to the front office, or to the Gen Mgr's line before and after my purchase). You'd leave a message and no one would ever return call either. Very frustrating. I'd have to call the national office to get the SC to respond to me. Now they have SC people who answer calls but have little knowledge of issues or procedures - just service writers. They will pass on messages to repair people who sometimes call but it takes at least 1 day. Their Road Rangers (well, at least the same one who responded to my 2 different calls for repairs) seem to be excellent and knowledgeable. Last time I took the car in because of a seat problem, and others I was given just "they're all that way" excuses. The new SC Manager happened to be walking by and heard my problems. He stepped in and told the SC service writers to give me a new seat and have the Road guys install at my house. Had he not happened to be walking by no action would have been taken. Service is Tesla's Achilles heel.

IMHO at this point, get another one if you can.
If your "lemon law" and Tesla say the car is not bad enough to warrant replacement you need to decide if you are too picky i.e. you really wanted a Lexus or you can live with the task of slowly fixing the Tesla.

What kind of issues do you think I will be facing if I am on the SC shitlist ? Debating what to do this week and make a final decision.

Sorry for the delay been busy with work etc , here is a video of the rattle caused by the door control ecu. what we found is most rattles / resonance come from that modules wire harness as it fits loosely into the ECU body and the speaker grill cover that pops in the door card , those are the two main culprits of noise in the doors. also you will find a video fo the lovely drivers door handle failure the next morning,

Door handle

Dropbox - 2018-06-01 10.16.58.mov

Rattle/ vibration

Dropbox - Tesla-Door-Rattle.mp4

Its also worth knowing that the warranty apparently does NOT cover squeaks and rattles , i was told this was goodwill to fix.......

Attachments

• 2018-06-01 10.16.29.jpg
    2018-06-01 10.16.29.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 69
I am really sorry to hear about your incredible problems with the Indy
Service Center. Ironically, before the center opened and they had ranger service and a small temporary center in Zionsville, the service was top notch. They were always courteous and very accommodating. I only had a few issues develop in my car, and all were handled very professionally. I have only been to the new SC one time but again had good service. I really think that at this point you should work with an attorney about getting your money back. I love my Tesla too, but would not put up with the crap they are throwing at you.

Reactions: davidc18
I am really sorry to hear about your incredible problems with the Indy
Service Center. Ironically, before the center opened and they had ranger service and a small temporary center in Zionsville, the service was top notch. They were always courteous and very accommodating. I only had a few issues develop in my car, and all were handled very professionally. I have only been to the new SC one time but again had good service. I really think that at this point you should work with an attorney about getting your money back. I love my Tesla too, but would not put up with the crap they are throwing at you.

For the most part the two people at the SC i interact with are OK , Nick the Sc manager is fine but i feel he is very busy and cant spend much time, followup is not the best , again he most likely has a ton of his plate. Jeremy the mobile service scheduler is fine also. But the thing is they are not techs , they can only do so much and i feel they want to help. There is a line i have to draw , i also feel they are getting annoyed with me at this point.

I have had this car for two months and the its issue after issue, some things get fixed, some do not , new issues are created , etc etc.

I am going to ask for a new car as i do feel this one is lemon like as it does not fall in the lemon law guidelines. No one should spend this amount of money and have to put up with this many repairs right off the bat. Tesla can choose to work with me without an attorney and we can reach a mutual deal with a replacement vehicle , or i will retain a attorney which will ultimately be more costly for them. I am pretty solid on having the car replaced at this point. If anyone has experience with this please chime in or PM me

Literally just went out to the car an hour ago and the right front is sitting much much lower than the rest of the car , upon sitting the car pumped itself back up. This is the side that had the air shock replaced a couple weeks ago also..........not normal

I just remember while I was reading the warranty on CPO car I almost purchased and I knew that it was a change from the warranty on our 70D. I imagine you can use the internet way back machine to find approximately when it changed. Sorry I don't have the dates, just my recollection of the changes that happened over time.

Literally just went out to the car an hour ago and the right front is sitting much much lower than the rest of the car , upon sitting the car pumped itself back up. This is the side that had the air shock replaced a couple weeks ago also..........not normal

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but the car settling a bit while parked is actually not abnormal. This happens from time to time with air suspension systems and as long as there is no air leak, you are fine.

They changed the language in the warranty last year to specifically exclude rattles and squeaks.

They'll have to add that section back when Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and Jaguar starts selling EVs in a year or two :p

Squeaks and rattles for a car in is price range is never acceptable. Thank the lard my car does not have squeaks and rattles but if it did, that would drive me insane and I would want them to fix it.