Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Saga continues.....Regretting this purchase

What should i do?

• This is the normal "Tesla" experience

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Hire a attorney

Votes: 36 49.3%
  • Keep wasting time and letting them try to fix

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car is why "lemon" laws were created. You have given them ample opportunity to repair it. Tesla needs to give you a new car or a refund.
My dad was a Lincoln/Mercury dealer for many years, and sometimes ,a manufacturer delivers a "bad" car, even Lincolns. It happens with all manufacturers.
I will say that Tesla's stonewalling you about repairs made before the car was delivered to you is not customer oriented. A subpoena for the records will make the Tesla none disclosure policy vanish.

Once upper management became involved i was given the option for a refund minus some mileage deductions , around $6000 loss to me , i also put around 6200 miles on the car so about the same as a lemon law buyback loss. I was also given the option to let them go over the entire car and fix all my concerns and give them another shot to correct a crap situation with the buyback option still on the table if i was not happy with the repairs.

They put me in a new loaner for a couple weeks and did a pretty good job fixing up the car , new half shafts , new touchscreen , wet sanded extreme orange peel + good detail. fix the alignment issues and pulling , new strut again etc etc many issues fixed. few parts were subject to a long delay but they did get them installed yesterday by a mobile tech (Kyle) he is fantastic and excellent attention to detail... The car is pretty nice at this point.

Reactions: s1rk and jeffro01
Man why Tesla reminds me of why get married?

Works out for some and not for others.

:D

Just got a call from my wife nagging me on stupid *sugar*.

I’ll go back and be happy with my creaking falcon wing doors in comparison.

Is this all being done by Tesla Service (in/around Castleton), or did the folks in Connan's get involved?

Assuming Connan's may have done the wet sanding, but perhaps in house Tesla detailer took care of it.

Connan's did some paint work on mine and it turned out worse than when the car was sent to them. If they are allowing quality defects to slide by like that, I am not sure you want your car there right now. I know they have been remodeling/expanding, perhaps something to do with that. Not sure what happened but expected better given their reputation.

So lets fast forward to jan 2019 , buyback took place , new s100d ,, some money out of pocket , much better car overall. Happy with the outcome tesla did the right thing.

Two issues with new car , windshield wind noise , recently fixed by replacing windshield.

Then we have this awful noise under hard acceleration, Dropbox - 2019-02-08 12.13.28.mov

I requested the halfshafts be replaced. Told no go as its acceptable. Want to see if any one else here has had this?

None of the loaners nor my old S100d made this awful noise. Only 2400 miles on it also.

My car made a noise very similar to that when it was new. It happened only under heavy load, and if I do multiple hard accelerations in a row it really only did it the first or second time each day and then it wouldn’t anymore. My theory was it did it after the suspension was set to high (which it does at home every night) then back to normal.

Anyway the good news is even though it did it for a few months when I first got it, the noise went away on its own and hasn’t been back since.

It is these reasons why I NEVER buy a used or Demo cars. You just have no idea what the car has been through and is a total crap shoot. This is true for any brand vehicle. You gambled and lost this hand.

Would you place a bet of $100,000 with $110,000 payback with 100:1 odds of you winning?

How much did you save, 10%? Was it worth it?

I rather buy less car or less often and control its entire history. Than take the gamble.

One thing nice about a “used” car (because that’s what it is) that you can usually sell it without as much of a hit.

You also will have a harder time playing the lemon law card because it is “used”.

You can label it, what they label it, but you bought a used car. Even worse, people drove it that DIDN'T own it, so they didn’t care how the car was treated. Which is even worse than a private purchase.

Dump it, and take your losses.

So lets fast forward to jan 2019 , buyback took place , new s100d ,, some money out of pocket , much better car overall. Happy with the outcome tesla did the right thing.

Two issues with new car , windshield wind noise , recently fixed by replacing windshield.

Then we have this awful noise under hard acceleration, Dropbox - 2019-02-08 12.13.28.mov

I requested the halfshafts be replaced. Told no go as its acceptable. Want to see if any one else here has had this?

None of the loaners nor my old S100d made this awful noise. Only 2400 miles on it also.

As both a multi-time buyer of about 6 MS's, and a TSLA shareholder, stories like this make my blood boil.

And then this buyer gets a new 2018 with this massive rattle, and his SC is pushing back on some major, obviously needed, repair on his SIX-FIGURE purchase!?!

ELON: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME OF OUR SERVICE CENTERS, and why are customers STILL having such major issues with car that is in its SEVENTH YEAR of production?

Friggin' unbelievable.

You either need to get some emergency re-training in place, or need to fire some more people, STAT.

The mission is too important for this sort of BS.

Just jaw-droppingly bad, and now being read by thousands. This is an entirely new level of stupid.

FIX IT!

Reactions: BridgeMojo
It is these reasons why I NEVER buy a used or Demo cars. You just have no idea what the car has been through and is a total crap shoot. This is true for any brand vehicle. You gambled and lost this hand.

Would you place a bet of $100,000 with $110,000 payback with 100:1 odds of you winning?

How much did you save, 10%? Was it worth it?

I rather buy less car or less often and control its entire history. Than take the gamble.

One thing nice about a “used” car (because that’s what it is) that you can usually sell it without as much of a hit.

You also will have a harder time playing the lemon law card because it is “used”.

You can label it, what they label it, but you bought a used car. Even worse, people drove it that DIDN'T own it, so they didn’t care how the car was treated. Which is even worse than a private purchase.

Dump it, and take your losses.

I think you misread this. But the first car was a service loaner with low miles. 99% of the issues with that car were not related to it being loaned but rather assembly and mfg defects. You seem rather angry and are trying to pin this on me.

And i did dump it , you should read a bit better. I dumped it and took a loss and bought a brand new S that had its own issues.

Its people like you that make coming to this forum painful. Blame the customer for everything. You are kinda a assh0le.

I requested the halfshafts be replaced. Told no go as its acceptable.

Yours is way worse than mine was and they already replaced mine 4 times. The 4th seems to have stuck but I'm certain it's because I lowered the car 1" at all settings reducing the angle the cv joint is at while under torque. 9K miles later and not a hint of it returning.

They almost didn't do the last replacement but when I insisted that they tell me in writing, i.e even just via email, that it wasn't dangerous and that it wouldn't cause metal fatigue of the forelinks(which break all the time for no apparent reason), they immediately changed their minds and replaced them again.

Reactions: Russell
As both a multi-time buyer of about 6 MS's, and a TSLA shareholder, stories like this make my blood boil.

And then this buyer gets a new 2018 with this massive rattle, and his SC is pushing back on some major, obviously needed, repair on his SIX-FIGURE purchase!?!

ELON: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME OF OUR SERVICE CENTERS, and why are customers STILL having such major issues with car that is in its SEVENTH YEAR of production?

Friggin' unbelievable.

You either need to get some emergency re-training in place, or need to fire some more people, STAT.

The mission is too important for this sort of BS.

Just jaw-droppingly bad, and now being read by thousands. This is an entirely new level of stupid.

FIX IT!

Id agree , still the same issues years later , panel gaps , axle problems , glass defects , air leaks , wind noise. Was really hoping the new replacement would be pristine but i have come to accept these cars all have their own quirks.

The windshield issue seemed to be placement and glass defect related. Was set below the glass roof catching wind. Also the curvature was not matched to the glass roof and one side was way lower. New one is better not perfect. Acceptable.

My car made a noise very similar to that when it was new. It happened only under heavy load, and if I do multiple hard accelerations in a row it really only did it the first or second time each day and then it wouldn’t anymore. My theory was it did it after the suspension was set to high (which it does at home every night) then back to normal.

Anyway the good news is even though it did it for a few months when I first got it, the noise went away on its own and hasn’t been back since.

That's because you were doing it when first starting out while your suspension was on high and then it lowered.

FYI, the front cv joints have an obvious design defect. If you look at any other high powered car that has front wheel drive, the cv axles always use one of two methods to dampen or prevent vibration. The first are rubber axle donuts. The second are hangers with a bearing with a rubber donut/sleeve that the shaft goes through which still provides a small amount of play when turning wheels and such but completely dampens out harmonic vibrations.

For some inconceivable reason, the cv shafts on S/X do not have either of these.

FYI, the front cv joints have an obvious design defect. If you look at any other high powered car that has front wheel drive, the cv axles always use one of two methods to dampen or prevent vibration. The first are rubber axle donuts. The second are hangers with a bearing with a rubber donut/sleeve that the shaft goes through which still provides a small amount of play when turning wheels and such but completely dampens out harmonic vibrations.

For some inconceivable reason, the cv shafts on S/X do not have either of these.

Why wouldm't Tesla redesign this to save all the warranty expenses if what you imply is true?