Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is wrong with me? What is wrong with YOU? Several people in this thread already smelled the BS you spread from a mile away.
Get the damn car to a SC and they WILL fix it if the problem is really that bad. End of discussion!

Now stop polluting this thread, which I intended to be informative, with your negativity.

• Love
Reactions: E Dizzle and X Fan
Just put the summer tires on my 2019 Model S Performance - and the shudder is still there on hard accelleration in standard.. SC lowered my car 20 mm. They claimed it was too high. That definitely reduced the issue, but it was not fixed. Hope Tesla get a fix out soon!

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
Anyone hear if Tesla has made any progress with the Raven issue?

I don't know if they've made any progress on a permanent fix, but I took mine in last week and they replaced the shafts and seals and the issue is gone altogether. Dropped off at 10am and it was done around 3:00pm with parts they had in stock. I expect it to return again, but for now it's better and hopefully they'll have a better fix next time around

I was at my SC today to pick-up my All-Weather Floor Mats. I ran into the chief technician and we started talking. I had two topics in my head and this is one of them:

> Why does my MX LR Raven shudder on "Standard" suspension mode since day 1. What he explained next lead me to creating this topic. It should put an end to speculations and uncertainty about the shudder issue.

First off: the shudder problems in pre-Raven and Raven have different causes. Yes the symptoms are almost indistinguishable between the two generations but they do NOT have the same root-cause.

On pre-Raven, the problem is the front motor-mounts / clevis-mount.
On pre-Raven's, installing the new hardware should fix the problem WHEN THE CAR IS DRIVEN NORMALLY and not driven like a maniac, flooring it at every stop-light. Such behaviour will wreck anything. I saw a post of somebody saying "Tesla never told me I cannot floor it every time". Well sorry Sir but you are an idiot.

In Raven, the new mounts are installed from the factory. The problem here are re-designed front-axles. The part of the Axle between the two CV-Joints starts to vibrate under medium to heavy torque-load on some cars. Not all X Ravens are affected and because of this, Tesla is still not in the clear as to why not everybody has the problem.

The current status of the Raven Shudder problem is "under investigation".

So that's it. Don't mix up Raven and pre-Raven anymore please, as the root causes are NOT the same.
Pre-Raven is fixed, Raven not yet.
Indeed, we were informed of this a couple of weeks ago at the Jacksonville Service Center. However, I am certainly not flooring it every time I accelerate. In fact, I’m noticing a slight shudder even at a very reasonable acceleration rate. At this point we’re trying to reduce the suspension to very low as soon as we’re on the highway. Believe me we don’t want the vehicle to vibrate at all. It’s a bit disturbing. Evidently, one owner decided it was a “deal breaker.” We’re not there yet.

I still have the shudder on standard with mild acceleration. i’ve used launch mode less than 5 times. I hoped the raven update would have fixed it while driving in standard but it won’t so I always drive in low.

On another topic, I’m still waiting for the cheetah update. Any day now right?

7/19 Raven build. Have both the shudder at 30-40 mph as well as what I think is control arm noise, clicking noise at 5 mph. Not sure if I want to go to the SC unless there’s more of a definitive replacement since I see posts of Tesla billing for the second suspension repair.

I finally received it yesterday too. Charging right now to see if the 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile times improved. There is a rumor an X owner did 10.9x in the quarter. If true the Model X is now 3 tenths faster in the quarter mile, which is a huge improvement. I doubt this claim myself. Its probably more like 11.1 now.

My X had a slight vibration/shudder under full acceleration for quite a while. I thought that perhaps it was tread separation on one of the tires due to the high torque load. Gradually it got more frequent and finally it was happening in “CHILL” mode. I had the tires replaced, but it didn’t fix it. I took it to the service center in Santa Barbara and asked for a Tech to go on a test ride which he did. I raced around SB, but of course the car wouldn’t do it. So then the Tech drove and I rode shotgun. He hit the accelerator and I yelled, “WHOA, it vibrates like crazy through the passenger door.” He said he thought that he knew what the problem was and that there was a bulletin out on it—front axels. They did the fix and no problem since!

My X had a slight vibration/shudder under full acceleration for quite a while. I thought that perhaps it was tread separation on one of the tires due to the high torque load. Gradually it got more frequent and finally it was happening in “CHILL” mode. I had the tires replaced, but it didn’t fix it. I took it to the service center in Santa Barbara and asked for a Tech to go on a test ride which he did. I raced around SB, but of course the car wouldn’t do it. So then the Tech drove and I rode shotgun. He hit the accelerator and I yelled, “WHOA, it vibrates like crazy through the passenger door.” He said he thought that he knew what the problem was and that there was a bulletin out on it—front axels. They did the fix and no problem since!

Is your X a Raven?

I have a Raven 7-2019, after 4 or 5 visits to service centre Amsterdam they finally replaced the half shafts and clevis mount. Car was kind of undriveable before due to a constant shudder, started at 6000km and got worse. First they ordered the wrong parts but after all after the replacement at 24000km my car drove like new. Guess what, after 1200 km the shudder is coming back already. Hopefully not as bad is first but we will see. Still waiting for an answer to my new complaint, if and when there will be a permanent fix.

I have a Raven 7-2019, after 4 or 5 visits to service centre Amsterdam they finally replaced the half shafts and clevis mount. Car was kind of undriveable before due to a constant shudder, started at 6000km and got worse. First they ordered the wrong parts but after all after the replacement at 24000km my car drove like new. Guess what, after 1200 km the shudder is coming back already. Hopefully not as bad is first but we will see. Still waiting for an answer to my new complaint, if and when there will be a permanent fix.

Crazy coincidence. My situation is exactly the same. Purchased a Raven X July 2019. Shudder showed up soon thereafter and they eventually replaced the half shafts (after ordering the wrong side once). Shudder went away, but is now back.

SC telling me that they aren't scheduling any more "repairs" until engineering has a permanent fix.

Crazy coincidence. My situation is exactly the same. Purchased a Raven X July 2019. Shudder showed up soon thereafter and they eventually replaced the half shafts (after ordering the wrong side once). Shudder went away, but is now back.

SC telling me that they aren't scheduling any more "repairs" until engineering has a permanent fix.
at least they told you they will wait for a permanent fix, SC Amsterdam don't answer me until today.

No, my feeling was that it was fast enough as a plain old 90D since I only drag race ICE vehicles. LOL

LOL. No doubt about that... I was trying to understand if your situation was related to the Raven issue or pre-raven issues. Since you have a 90D it sounds like you got the permanent fix. Ravens are still waiting for a fix. I hope it’s soon since my X is basically unusable due to the grinding and shaking being so bad.