Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, may not have been the same issue but looks like it was the same fix. Both halfshafts replaced. Picking it up tomorrow so will let you know how it feels.

I know this is *shocking* but ...

Both halfshafts replaced, problem solved.

Same part #, same rev. Nothing different, just more of the same. Only 16k miles into the warranty so I suspect we’ll do this at least once or twice more, and then I have to make a decision about extended warranty, or just buying a new set of halfshafts every couple years.

On a positive, they did a really nice job cleaning the X inside and out. Always good service in Paramus!

E61147B2-B3EF-4DFA-A68D-4A67B3C447D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
I know this is *shocking* but ...

Both halfshafts replaced, problem solved.

Same part #, same rev. Nothing different, just more of the same. Only 16k miles into the warranty so I suspect we’ll do this at least once or twice more, and then I have to make a decision about extended warranty, or just buying a new set of halfshafts every couple years.

On a positive, they did a really nice job cleaning the X inside and out. Always good service in Paramus!

View attachment 636520
Glad to hear it. I wonder if you had some shudder and didn't notice it, and this was the ultimate conclusion of it getting worse. I doubt it, as shudder is pretty obvious, but who knows. Either way, really happy that you're back in order. And how nice to have a service center that washes cars. We don't get that here anymore..

Glad to hear it. I wonder if you had some shudder and didn't notice it, and this was the ultimate conclusion of it getting worse. I doubt it, as shudder is pretty obvious, but who knows. Either way, really happy that you're back in order. And how nice to have a service center that washes cars. We don't get that here anymore..

Entirely possible; it's not my daily driver (I drive the 3; my wife drives the X) so I'm not necessarily in tune with every small detail. That said -- it's all good and back in order. Now trying to figure out when my Surveyor trailer is coming in... the RV dealer is incommunicado - not any
surprise to be honest ...

And I genuinely can't say enough good things about our service centers; I have two, locally. Paramus NJ and Springfield NJ. Both are top notch - they do a great job, never any pushback, and when I need a loaner, I typically get one. For this appointment, they sent me a note the night before that they had no loaners in the pool but would add me to a priority list if one opened. Then they offered the usual Uber credits. I told them thanks but I didn't need either - we're fine with "just" the Model 3 for a few days. It's a two way street - I'm flexible with them and like magic, my X comes back washed and cleaned in and out. Good relationships are the key to success!

Glad to hear back from dmurphy. This is exactly what makes these forums invaluable.
It baffles me why Tesla isn't more proactive about this issue. When you have the problem it's a big one.
Maybe not a pure safety issue, but the car is a chore to drive rather than a pleasure.

Well, may not have been the same issue but looks like it was the same fix. Both halfshafts replaced. Picking it up tomorrow so will let you know how it feels.

I am pretty sure I have both symptoms. A stop and hard accel does a fast thunk-thunk-thunk, and when i am accelerating at around 30-50 i get shudder noise and vibration that eventually smooths out. Happens on standard and low suspension, shudder is more prominent on standard. My assumption has been the noise difference relates to the amount of torque, and a stop-hard accel is going to trigger the most aggressive vibration. (2020 X Performance purchased end of Dec 2019, problem noticed at ~ 5k miles)

I am pretty sure I have both symptoms. A stop and hard accel does a fast thunk-thunk-thunk, and when i am accelerating at around 30-50 i get shudder noise and vibration that eventually smooths out. Happens on standard and low suspension, shudder is more prominent on standard. My assumption has been the noise difference relates to the amount of torque, and a stop-hard accel is going to trigger the most aggressive vibration. (2020 X Performance purchased end of Dec 2019, problem noticed at ~ 5k miles)

Sure sounds like it -- the shudder noise and vibration between 30-50 was minimal but that thunk-thunk-thunk was definitely very present. I had no issue at all with the service center... they just took care of it right away, no questions asked.

So my wife's Model X just got the front half shafts replaced. We picked up the Model X Performance on New Years Eve last year (12/31/2020). They called this a one-time good will replacement. I brought it in the first time and they were surprised that it happened on a car with such low mileage (1100) and suggested to come back when the noise and vibration got worse.

Well, fast forward to last weekend. With the suspension in low, driving about 45mph, putting the accelerator down to the half-way point to accelerate would get the noise and vibration to occur. Could also hear some of it at slow speed going over small bumps.

I have two questions about this:
1) If this issue comes back, I assume I'm going to be on the hook for the fix since they called this a goodwill replacement.
2) If this part were to "fail" (and does it really "fail") what happens? Does this leave us stranded? Would Tesla fix this under warranty if the parts completely fail?

Just frustrated as my Model 3 Performance has been a great experience so far, but this Model X has not been.

I have two questions about this:
1) If this issue comes back, I assume I'm going to be on the hook for the fix since they called this a goodwill replacement.
2) If this part were to "fail" (and does it really "fail") what happens? Does this leave us stranded? l

Wow. :( It sounds like they are just trying to discourage you from reporting it again to keep costs down. Several folks on here have reported having it fixed multiple times, covered under warranty. It’s a clear design defect and not normal wear and tear (you shouldn’t have to replace half shafts frequently).

Wow. :( It sounds like they are just trying to discourage you from reporting it again to keep costs down. Several folks on here have reported having it fixed multiple times, covered under warranty. It’s a clear design defect and not normal wear and tear (you shouldn’t have to replace half shafts frequently).
Well I when I pick up the car in about an hour I intend to get all of these questions answered. It has been a great car otherwise (other than the turn signal broken on day one).

I made an interesting observation the other day. I’ve been riding in low, and for the most part the shudder seems to have marginally subsided. That is, I only feel tremors around 37mph and not the shaking I was feeling before, even on low. I parked over a curb the other day, and when I returned to the car, it had lowered to where the front fascia was sitting atop the curb. I raised it to Standard to back out, and forgot about it. After 20 minutes of driving, I felt the aggressive shudder I was feeling before, and remembered to lower the suspension again to low.

This is where it gets a little interesting. Now the shudder is back again in a greater force, even on low. As if I’ve somehow shaken things up with my carelessness of leaving it on Standard. Has anyone else noticed this “waning” of symptoms?

Has anybody gotten a failed axle back from Tesla and taken it apart? Based on the symptoms I read on here this can only be 2 parts failing, a CV is not a complicated device.

My bet on this is Tesla chose a supplier that can give it good pricing based on parts-commonality and a CV that works relatively ok on the other cars, but just doesn't quite work with a 6000lb vehicle with many inches of suspension articulation and instantaneous, prodigious torque plus a pretty tight turning circle, and has no choice but to burn through its contracted supply until it can sunset the old parts.

There are axle reman companies that can make a problem like this go away forever, but it would add many dozens of dollars per car if implemented new at the factory

Last edited:
I’m picking up a 2021 pre-refresh Model X Performance on Friday. Is this a problem that will just eventually happen to all model X variants at some point? I have ready about this happening to nearly every model year and with low mileage on some. Am I setting myself up for a headache?

Seems the solution is nearly here. I had the shudder in my Raven MX (Sept '19 production) at about 10K, got a new set of half shafts, but it came back again at 22k, got bad enough at 26k that it is in the shop today (the new SC in Delray Beach) for a third set of half shafts today. Their tech, a very experienced guy who has been with Tesla for ten years, said that the fix is coming - the new Plaid half shafts are what we (and they) are waiting for. He blames the added weight of the MX - says the shafts are essentially the same ever since the first Dual-motor MS in 2014 in terms of the half shaft part number, and that the shafts can't handle the MX's weight. He says the added torque on the Plaid finally brought it to a head. The good news is that the Plaid shafts are apparently backwards compatible, so will solve our problem. Pretty expensive for Tesla.

Seems the solution is nearly here. I had the shudder in my Raven MX (Sept '19 production) at about 10K, got a new set of half shafts, but it came back again at 22k, got bad enough at 26k that it is in the shop today (the new SC in Delray Beach) for a third set of half shafts today. Their tech, a very experienced guy who has been with Tesla for ten years, said that the fix is coming - the new Plaid half shafts are what we (and they) are waiting for. He blames the added weight of the MX - says the shafts are essentially the same ever since the first Dual-motor MS in 2014 in terms of the half shaft part number, and that the shafts can't handle the MX's weight. He says the added torque on the Plaid finally brought it to a head. The good news is that the Plaid shafts are apparently backwards compatible, so will solve our problem. Pretty expensive for Tesla.
That sounds like great news. He didn’t say when did he?

Reactions: johnking
I don't doubt you or your tech, but I am at the point where I'll believe it when I see it. We've had a lot of reports of modified part numbers being the final solution. This sounds promising, but I'll leave it at that.