Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"expensive for Tesla"
I would say expensive for customers to deal with an issue in terms of time & stress.
For a company supposedly led by engineers and "first principles folks" its pretty weak to ignore this issue. Understandable if company has no resources but that has not been the case at Tesla for several years.

Reactions: johnking
I have 2 MX (100D and P100D) built in 2017. One seems to shudder the steering wheel only when I make turns on low speeds. It’s currently in service to have the steering rack replaced. The P100D, which I recently purchased makes a loud and continuous thumping noise between 15-40mph only on acceleration. A mobile tech came out last night and within minutes identified that the front left axle was broken. I agree with others - it’s a huge design flaw. The car should be able to handle the power output. I just sold my AMG - Mercedes put a drivetrain in that could handle the power output without breaking! (I did however tune the car to produce more power, but that’s a different story!! They tuned it in such a way to not exceed the thresholds of the drivetrain.). But my MX’s are stock. I didn’t but the P100D to drive it slowly! 🥺Is anyone aware of a class action law suit for this problem?

I don’t have the shudder, but I do experience a knocking sound from the front when hard acceleration is used. Had it for a couple of months now. 22,000 miles. Thinking that’s the beginning. 2019 Performance X, August delivery. I’ve kept the suspension on low since that option was offered. Once they make the new shafts available (hopefully), I will set up a service.

Elon Musk admission

Shareholder Meeting transcript 6/6/2017

Article: 7 things we learned from Elon Musk’s Tesla shareholder meeting
75EA1AC5-6CEC-45C9-A7FB-CC2BBA5391FB.jpeg

Dropped my 2017 100D off this morning at the local service center. They didnt do more than read my submission notes when I made the appointment for the shudder and already had the parts either on order or lined up to be replaced under warranty. I forgot to save the actual document but they are replacing a variety of things including a new motor mount and CV’s.

Dropped my 2017 100D off this morning at the local service center. They didnt do more than read my submission notes when I made the appointment for the shudder and already had the parts either on order or lined up to be replaced under warranty. I forgot to save the actual document but they are replacing a variety of things including a new motor mount and CV’s.
Nice! They won't do it for me 😕

Here’s the thing that’s baffling to me. Tesla obviously knows about this design flaw, it’s been around for years and they continue to make warranty repairs to deal with the recurring problem. N2itive, an aftermarket company, has a solution, or at least a mitigation, which lowers the car to prevent half-shaft destruction, in combination with adjustable camber and toe arms to prevent premature rear tire wear due to riding lower.

Tesla is obviously aware of this fix. So, why have they not simply engineered a Tesla solution to the problem? I can’t imagine why, unless by offering a fix they set themselves up for a massive fleet-wide upgrade. But, even if that’s the case, you’d think Tesla would care about fixing a design flaw for their customers, rather than just perpetuating the problem with every new car sold.

My (naive?) hope, is that they had the plaid project just around the corner (it’s been for awhile now) and it would be more efficient to fully address a new part design then as opposed to engineering a solution that would be immediately replaced by another one. In the meantime they can roll out band aids, replace customers with rebuilt CVs. I do agree it’s surprising they wouldn’t just switch to low by default (especially if you have the higher profile 20s) as part of a bandaid.

My (naive?) hope, is that they had the plaid project just around the corner (it’s been for awhile now) and it would be more efficient to fully address a new part design then as opposed to engineering a solution that would be immediately replaced by another one. In the meantime they can roll out band aids, replace customers with rebuilt CVs. I do agree it’s surprising they wouldn’t just switch to low by default (especially if you have the higher profile 20s) as part of a bandaid.

oem tire sizes overall diameter are essentially the same, regardless of the wheel size

Cant I Edit my posts? I forgot to write that I have canceled my Cybertruck and Im selling my Model 3 and I will never ever buy a Tesla again. I Will tell everyone that asks for my opinion the true story that the car sucks and that the warranty sucks even more and that I absolutly NOT will be recomending the car to anyone.

If SC only has replaced the failed parts and given me information to drive very carefully Until a permanent fix is avalible, then I would have been happy. But this???! Its a complete joke!!
I'm with you - the behaviour of a garage on a new car paid around 110k euros cannot be "sorry it's your problem, maybe one day Tesla will solve it".

Has anybody thought of a joint lawsuit?

Reactions: dudeabides