Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla App could be so much better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When they tried to hire me, they told me that they have two people working on the iOS app and I would be the third guy. And then they have one person working on the Android app (with an attempt to hire a second person to the Android team). They also told me that if I can handle the entire iOS app myself, which I can, they would move one of the iOS guys to work on some other software component.

Surely those people can't be working on iOS/Android dev full-time, because the results do not reflect a full-time development effort.

Surely those people can't be working on iOS/Android dev full-time, because the results do not reflect a full-time development effort.

I was also thinking they aren't getting a very good ROI from that team. When was the last time the app was modified? Weren't we supposed to get a simple notification that supercharging had accumulated enough charge to make it to the next destination with the release of "end range anxiety" that has still failed to appear? The last time actual features were added to the app was v2.0 last September. Version 1.2 was the next one back with any feature changes, which was November 2013. They seem to be adding features on about a once a year pace.

Just looking at BMW, Nissan Leaf!, Hyundai, Ford, GM... All those are prettier, more fully featured and otherwise appear more mature than does Remote S. All the comments here seem to reflect that. It is long past time to shape up, especially when remote access is more important to us than it may be to many others. How about push status notifications, which several competitors already have?

I was also thinking they aren't getting a very good ROI from that team. When was the last time the app was modified? Weren't we supposed to get a simple notification that supercharging had accumulated enough charge to make it to the next destination with the release of "end range anxiety" that has still failed to appear? The last time actual features were added to the app was v2.0 last September. Version 1.2 was the next one back with any feature changes, which was November 2013. They seem to be adding features on about a once a year pace.
They told me that in the past, they just had one guy make an app for android real quick and that was it. No more dev work on it. And they are only now (well the convo happened back in May) to hire app devs to make the app better. So my guess is that it will be a while before there's a major app upgrade. They will most likely release a minor app update first, and then a major app update after or when autopilot is released.