Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me a bit of the Dragon interior.

image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
I like roadster's simple mechanical indicators. Learned to adapt to all LCD displays in Model S. But this model 3 dash I just can't force myself to like. Exterior design looks great, but it feels like little thought was spent inside. As if Tesla only cares about how their brand looks to others on the road. I really hope they place second small display behind the wheel in final version. The way M3 looks now, I would rather spend $50K on used MS.

The Model 3 will have some sort of cluster.

two reasons:

1. Only the safety features of AutoPilot (AEB and TACC) will be standard, so we will still be driving these cars ourselves, even if we pay to have AP 2.0 enabled.

2. Some things are still mandated. High-beam indicator, speedometer, turn indicators. On the finished product, I still expect a small screen of some sort. They fought DOT and IIHS about mirrors, and yet....we still see side mirrors. So unless the laws change, there still has to be something there.

We'll see during Part 2 of the launch.

I see a lot of people mentioning DOT regulations as indicators that The Model 3 "must" change the dash layout by production time. I want to believe this, but my question is: has anyone quoted these laws? I'd be very interested in seeing the actual DOT regulations if anyone happens to be familiar.

I see a lot of people mentioning DOT regulations as indicators that The Model 3 "must" change the dash layout by production time. I want to believe this, but my question is: has anyone quoted these laws? I'd be very interested in seeing the actual DOT regulations if anyone happens to be familiar.

Found it. Posted your answer over here: Dashboard design and NHTSA regulations

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
I believe I can state that there is broad - close to universal - consensus amongst this thread's participants that, irrespective of whether one like or dislikes the lack of an instrument cluster and the concomitant sole 15" screen, all (nigh all) would like to have that complemented by HUD.

Have I encapsulated the prior fourteen dozen comments correctly?

Long-time Lurker here...with a Model S, and a Model 3 on order.

I was struck by the very plain steering wheel in the demo Model 3s. No switches, controls, etc. I'm convinced that that wheel is far from what will be the production steering wheel. Why couldn't Tesla incorporate the desired driver's displays INTO the steering wheel itself? The upper quadrant of the wheel rim could display speed, temp, turn sigs, battery status, etc. A small display in or just above the wheel hub could show the current lane picture and cars ahead and to the side as on the Model S.

Reactions: mcghee33
I would hazard a guess that Elon doesn't much like the dash either. I can imagine that they all spent days agonizing over how they can make some profit on an EV without some sort of design compromise. It's a problem when you state I can create a $35k EV ahead of actually doing it. Heck, a $5 billion dollar investment in the pack production should give an idea as to how difficult it is to make this work for $35k. I certainly prefer an integrated screen, but I can certainly see how much more costly it would be over a standard (stand-alone) screen as we saw on March 31st. Those screens are a dime a dozen (so to speak)...hopefully it has a swivel. And they have more freedom to tuck the CPU and controls anywhere there's enough space.

I also think that this will be very close to the final design. But, I suspect that design changes for future versions will see this dash move towards a more integrated approach as they figure out how to do it within the current space limitations and still make a profit.

I have a question to ask as I am neutral on the instrument display location: I think drivers spend as much, if not more, time looking into their rear view and side mirrors than they do at their speed. Why don't people complain about having to look to the right or left to check mirrors but complain here about doing that to check speed? Habit? Or are we so programmed that we lack the ability to adapt? If this is such a major issue, why haven't we been clamoring for cameras to replace rear view and side mirrors so all of our focus remains immediately in front of us?

Has anyone stated this yet? What about them doing this with the option of also putting it in a center screen where drivers currently look (past steering wheel) and that option or a HUD would be another two or $3000. And by doing so they can almost guarantee A price tag minimum of $38,000 instead of 35,000

There's the other problem almost all vehicles that are $35,000 have steering wheel controls and if the model three does not it will be less especially given the amount of times we all use the steering wheel controls just for volume control etc.

Last edited:
Yes , a HUD or a small display of some kind is what most people are hoping for. It can certainly be incorporated into the current dash design, as an option. An HUD does not take much space on the dash, although it does increase cost. I believe you also need a special glass for it to work. At least it does on my bimmer. You can also do a less fancy version with a smaller dedicated screen , similar to what a newer Mini cooper has. It's possible.

Reactions: scott jones
Maybe the key lies in the rather non-descript looking steering wheel that was in the prototypes. Why couldn't they put a small display in the center of the steering wheel? Sure, you couldn't read it while turning but who checks their speed while turning? Or the display could be orientation aware and rotate what's displayed so the top is always up. Sort of like a cell phone does except continuous. And the reason we saw the crappy spartan steering wheels on the prototypes was because this technology was not yet ready for prime-time or Tesla didn't want to reveal it this early.

One of the things I find fascinating here is that some of you are treating this dash like it is completely unprecedented (the 1970s sci-fi parody). Minimalistic dashes with centered displays are about 100 years old now. As one example, Henry Ford's Model A:

upload_2016-4-2_22-27-8.png

I'm a millennial and, generally, abhor modernistic design elements (I particularly hate not having physical buttons to "mash") but this dash does not bother me in the least in the perspective of automotive history.

Reactions: MitchMitch
I have a question to ask as I am neutral on the instrument display location: I think drivers spend as much, if not more, time looking into their rear view and side mirrors than they do at their speed. Why don't people complain about having to look to the right or left to check mirrors but complain here about doing that to check speed? Habit? Or are we so programmed that we lack the ability to adapt? If this is such a major issue, why haven't we been clamoring for cameras to replace rear view and side mirrors so all of our focus remains immediately in front of us?

Re-focusing on a mirror is substantially easier than re-focusing on a display screen due to... what was it, parallax?

Anyways, I'm not worried about it being on the center--just that focusing on it over the clutter may be problematic (the background isn't static, whereas other center IPs are roughly static). I'm also worried about having a completely information blackout if a crash occurs, given the display runs infotainment, navigation, apps, etc. while also providing IP info.

Secondary concerns is that you won't get enough info from proximity sensors or autopilot information (it still won't be perfect in all situations, I'm sure) easily with that setup. Things like autopilot disengaging may not be heard with conversation in the car and not so easily seen without being in direct peripheral vision.

A HUD would fully alleviate all my concerns and would fit the car extremely well. I think the visibility actually looks pretty cool with the minimalist dash, and a HUD would perfectly complement this. The visibility reminds me of my smart car (how close it was to the road in front / how much field of view you saw from a car you wouldn't expect it from). I have full confidence a HUD is coming, but it just won't be announced until the MS/MX have a HUD and it's one of the "desireable features" mentioned for the M3. Probably will be an option of course but that's fine with me.

A HUD would fully alleviate all my concerns and would fit the car extremely well.......I have full confidence a HUD is coming, but it just won't be announced until the MS/MX have a HUD and it's one of the "desireable features" mentioned for the M3. Probably will be an option of course but that's fine with me.

I don't think it would fit - as it requires a total redesign of the whole dashboard.
HUD necessitates an unsightly big hole in the dash; and with no instrument panel "hump" and the current low flat design, you cannot hide it, and there is simply no good spot to put it.

If there's something consistent with tesla, and that's if you're actually paying attention, is that historically their interiors change a lot from the prototypes to the production cars. Expect refinements when the final production car is unveiled next year. The center screen however is staying where it is and it's landscape. The test drivers at the event confirmed this.

Not sure if anyone's said it, but if you look at tesla's website, it's all exterior pics. I think a good indicator that the interior is not close to final like the exterior.

Reactions: mcghee33

In my Roadster, there are actually 3 speed indicators. The analog gauge in front of the steering wheel, a small digital display on the in-dash Audio/Nav unit, and another on the VDS display in the lower center console. I generally use them in the reverse of that order. And, yes, the mirrors get more attention than the speed, and I even look out the front window from time to time.

I really like what I saw in the M3 interior design, though I think it would be perfect if there was a 1-2 inch high digital strip right below the brow of the dash.

As a die hard Thunder fan, I remember a sports reporter asking Pop (Spurs head coach) a few days before the game, if his starting players would start a game against the Thunder. Pop is notorious for sitting his starters out to rest so the question wasn't abnormal. He responded that his starters would NOT play that game. I felt great after hearing him say that with the hope the Thunder would win that game easily. Much to my dislike, he played his starters that game and spanked my Thunder to an humiliating loss.
In the early 2014, tesla vice president of communications was asked if tesla was partnering with mobileye as speculation was being thrown around by analysts. His response? No.

My point is just because tesla's model 3 engineers told people during test drives that the dash is almost production ready doesn't mean we should take their word for it. Misinformation is used very effectively from my 9 year old...all the way up to the US government. Tesla will be facing stiff competition from the big boys so it makes sense that they may say one thing only to do another.
Conversely, the dash may very well be close to what ends up in production because of costs and other considerations that many of you have spoken about. A popular thought I keep reading on here is they have 18 months to make changes if we are to believe they'll indeed roll the first one out at the end of next year. If that's the case, they have more like a year or less not 18 months due to lining out suppliers for the finish product, tooling, programing, etc.

Personally, I was hoping that the first version of the m3 interior would be more traditional to a normal ice car. I mean keep some tesla flare but don't make a drastic statement...yet...not on the first version out. Ease the masses in first then gradually make the tesla changes over time. By drastically changing it from the get go you not only will get kickback from many ice drivers, but also teslas own loyal fan base...as we're witnessing in this thread.

I was the 12th person in line to order my model 3 and am a die hard tesla enthusiast. I hope they change the dash and butter up the masses first before hitting them with the future but my guess is they'll hit us with the future first. It won't sway my decision to purchase but change like this is risky at a time where we (tesla) dont need risk. We need acceptance first from the herd. After the hook, hit them hard with the true tesla magic with later versions. Just my humbling opinion.

I appreciate all the valuable insight everyone has provided on the hundreds of topics I've read. Learned...learning, everyday from you. Thank you.