Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Universal Mobile Connector is no longer standard equipment with new orders after 8 July 2022??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea to bring along the extension cord - sounds like you're prepared for just about anything!!

Well it hasn’t let me down so far! But if you want to do this, it‘s important to not get any old cheapo extension lead, because the UMC is not supposed to be used with an extension lead. I bought an industrial grade lead that has 10A plug/socket but is rated for 15A continuous draw, and a snib to lock the UMC plug to the socket. I’ve never had any overheating problems in the cable or socket.

Reactions: Blue heaven
I bought an industrial grade lead that has 10A plug/socket but is rated for 15A continuous draw, and a snib to lock the UMC plug to the socket.

Eh? From Bunnings? I had a quick look through their website but it seems their 15a leads have 15a ends on them. What do you mean by a snib in this context? Also, do you have some way to waterproof the junction between the extension lead and the UMC, in case of rain or dew overnight?

Someone needs to hit the Twitters and complain. UMC in the US was dropped to US$200 after people complained.

AUD$300 would be a more fitting price of the UMC here.

Reactions: Brando_o
AUD$300 would be a more fitting price of the UMC here.

Yes it could be a bit cheaper, but note that AU and rest of the world get a better UMC product than the North American market. US version is Tesla only.

AU version will charge any Type 2 EV.

The bunnings alternative is a touch cheaper ($516), but tops out at 10A. Can't see any reason not to choose the Tesla one for $34 more.

Reactions: johnchidgey

Yep that looks like the one I have, although mine on the back said that the wiring was rated for 15A even though it has 10A plug and socket ends on it. Perhaps that text confused people, so they now say “10A Max” on the front to avoid it.

The socket snib is the same, to ensure proper prong connection and accidental dislodgment.

Eh? From Bunnings? I had a quick look through their website but it seems their 15a leads have 15a ends on them. What do you mean by a snib in this context? Also, do you have some way to waterproof the junction between the extension lead and the UMC, in case of rain or dew overnight?

See my post above re the 10/15A question, and see @paulp post for the waterproof protection. Although to date I’ve always been able to place the UMC itself under cover somewhere. With a 10m lead and the length of the UMC cable, you can usually find somewhere safe to put the UMC and extension lead connection slightly above ground and protected from rain.

Yep that looks like the one I have, although mine on the back said that the wiring was rated for 15A even though it has 10A plug and socket ends on it. Perhaps that text confused people, so they now say “10A Max” on the front to avoid it.

Ah… scroll down the page on that Bunnings link where it says:

“Extra heavy duty 15A cable is designed to withstand the most rugged applications. Heavier gauge conductors reduce voltage drop”

Reactions: positiv
So… I ordered ON the 8th. This thread says “ordered AFTER the 8th July “. It’ll be my luck that I don’t score one. How will I know before hand I wonder? I don’t want to buy one and then find one in the boot!

So… I ordered ON the 8th. This thread says “ordered AFTER the 8th July “. It’ll be my luck that I don’t score one. How will I know before hand I wonder? I don’t want to buy one and then find one in the boot!
I’m guessing that if the on line process didn’t ask you to purchase a UMC at the time you ordered you snuck in just before the change. I would wait until your car is in the county and purchase one if needed.

There is no discount to bundle it, so wait.

Did you screenshot your order as proof it should be included?
No. But it was never visible on the Order screen in the days/weeks before that I was looking. This is the order document

Attachments

• 0632F358-340F-4655-B066-DBF4F9690AEA.jpeg
    0632F358-340F-4655-B066-DBF4F9690AEA.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 62
Very handy being an electrician, as the information I've found seems to indicate the cost to buy & install wall charger runs close to 2k. I certainly won't be running out to install one anytime soon. Can't believe they used to come free!!!
I just had a Tesla Gen 3 installed and it cost $780 for the wall connector (now $750 in the online store) and $650 for installation by an electrician. This was for 3 phase with a safety switch and isolator switch included. I already have 3 phase but single phase 32 amp would have been fine. I don't have a garage so needed a wall connector as the UMC isn't water resistant. I don't think the cost is too prohibitive.

Reactions: *Sparkles*