Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Unofficial Aftermarket Air Suspension Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people with frunk install, did you regret not doing it in the trunk? How do you deal with having to bring in car for service? Looking into air suspension.

I've made it so everything is quick release, so it doesn't take too much time to remove it. Maybe 5 mins to remove it all. I'd like to move the manifold outside the frunk then it's only one line to remove everything and then the whole system will stay pressurized - maybe in the spring I'll change it up

I do sort of miss having a frunk to use when I go grocery shopping and only have a couple bags. If you don't plan on showing off your frunk setup, then having it in the sub-trunk is def the way to go.

But definitely recommend setting up your system for easy removal of the frunk liner if you go the frunk route. I think one of the easiest ways would be to have the manifold under/behind the frunk liner. That way you only need to remove the main air line from the air tank to the manifold without having to disconnect the individual air lines to each corner.

The way I have mine setup I need to disconnect everything from my main tank and then remove the frunk liner, then mount the main tank to the main mounting points for the frunk liner. Isn't the easiest, but only takes about 15 min to do the whole process.

I've made it so everything is quick release, so it doesn't take too much time to remove it. Maybe 5 mins to remove it all. I'd like to move the manifold outside the frunk then it's only one line to remove everything and then the whole system will stay pressurized - maybe in the spring I'll change it up

if i were to do it all over again, i would do it in the sub trunk since i barely use it and wanted to be able to u se the frunk more

I do sort of miss having a frunk to use when I go grocery shopping and only have a couple bags. If you don't plan on showing off your frunk setup, then having it in the sub-trunk is def the way to go.

But definitely recommend setting up your system for easy removal of the frunk liner if you go the frunk route. I think one of the easiest ways would be to have the manifold under/behind the frunk liner. That way you only need to remove the main air line from the air tank to the manifold without having to disconnect the individual air lines to each corner.

The way I have mine setup I need to disconnect everything from my main tank and then remove the frunk liner, then mount the main tank to the main mounting points for the frunk liner. Isn't the easiest, but only takes about 15 min to do the whole process.
Thank you, guys, for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Lastly, if given a choice would you bag it 20s or 21s inch wheels? Pros and cons? I'm leaning towards 20s. 21s look a little too big, imo.

Since a few weeks I've switched to bags as well, happy to join this thread. 😁 Used to have a unique setup before with Mountain Pass Performance coilovers and air cups to be able to lift the car for speed bumps, ramps and such. But that setup had some drawbacks so I made the switch to air bags. Still on the same MPP coilover dampers though so this is again a pretty unique setup. Also combined with the whole lineup of suspension parts of MPP, even the rear spring arms. Which is a first as far as I'm aware. Of course this needs custom bags and bag adapters, with the help of Kean Suspension in Belgium I was able to get this done. They supplied me the parts and I did the install myself. Ended up using the AccuAir E-Level+ management.

Have to say, very happy I went this route. Ride quality is much better, even though I still have to play around with the damper settings a bit. And of course it's great to be able to drop the car all the way and all the benefits of being able to lift. 😉

SZOf5Kz.jpg

erNcWoU.jpg

u3q2sXC.jpg

HetJMMh.jpg

Since a few weeks I've switched to bags as well, happy to join this thread. 😁 Used to have a unique setup before with Mountain Pass Performance coilovers and air cups to be able to lift the car for speed bumps, ramps and such. But that setup had some drawbacks so I made the switch to air bags. Still on the same MPP coilover dampers though so this is again a pretty unique setup. Also combined with the whole lineup of suspension parts of MPP, even the rear spring arms. Which is a first as far as I'm aware. Of course this needs custom bags and bag adapters, with the help of Kean Suspension in Belgium I was able to get this done. They supplied me the parts and I did the install myself. Ended up using the AccuAir E-Level+ management.

Have to say, very happy I went this route. Ride quality is much better, even though I still have to play around with the damper settings a bit. And of course it's great to be able to drop the car all the way and all the benefits of being able to lift. 😉

SZOf5Kz.jpg

erNcWoU.jpg

u3q2sXC.jpg

HetJMMh.jpg
About damn time

About damn time

Haha yes it was a long time coming really.. 😁 Just really wanted to get the other setup perfect first which I still did in the end. But the air suspension is so much better now, definitely makes me wonder why I didn't go with this setup sooner. 😉 I guess my only concern is reliability long term since it's also my daily car. But will just have to wait and see if any issues arise.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Haha yes it was a long time coming really.. 😁 Just really wanted to get the other setup perfect first which I still did in the end. But the air suspension is so much better now, definitely makes me wonder why I didn't go with this setup sooner. 😉 I guess my only concern is reliability long term since it's also my daily car. But will just have to wait and see if any issues arise.
Just purge daily when it’s cold and you’ll be fine

Just purge daily when it’s cold and you’ll be fine

I hardly get any moisture in my tank for some reason, perhaps I live in a good climate over here. 😁 So probably won't be an issue. I drain the tank like once every month, used to be even longer before with the air cups. My water trap that's inbetween the tank and manifold has never had anything in it. I could basically run the setup without it. 🤷‍♂️

I hardly get any moisture in my tank for some reason, perhaps I live in a good climate over here. 😁 So probably won't be an issue. I drain the tank like once every month, used to be even longer before with the air cups. My water trap that's inbetween the tank and manifold has never had anything in it. I could basically run the setup without it. 🤷‍♂️
Same here! Max once a month :)

Reactions: Firehuntah
It’s funny my water trap has never seen anything either but the new setup I’m doing electronic drain valve. It’s actually pretty cool.

Reactions: Firehuntah
My new subtrunk setup in the Y. Having done this setup in 2 cars now…it is quieter than the frunk & you can still show it off

Really nice setup! 👌 And honestly, sub trunk is also the best spot for an air setup so it doesn't interfere with anything else. Always hate having to take out the frunk setup whenever I need to be below the frunk for suspension stuff or the bumper and headlights. I think if I ever do it again on another Tesla, it'll be a sub trunk setup too.

if anyone is looking for air suspension. i'm doing a full part out! please check out my post and text me at 213-718-7691 if interested

wheells also for sale

im trying to sell my air suspension. i have a RWD SR+. can anyone confirm that this will or will not work with the AWD LR or Performance models?

Usually this doesn't work as different front struts are used for SR+ and LR/Performance. The LR/Performance struts attach differrently on the bottom as it needs to clear the front drive shafts. If you could show a photo of your front struts then I can tell you for sure if it works or not. It's also possible that the dampening is different for both. Basically though, if you bought it as a set for RWD specifically, then you shouldn't sell it to an AWD owner.