Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Upcoming Major Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any guess you see on here will be 100% conjecture. There are no "reasonable" guesses since no one has any real information. It could be next month or it could be 3 years from now. If you want a new Model X I'd recommend just getting one - if you wait for the refresh you might end up waiting for a long time.

Reactions: ecarfan
Statements point to the PLAID version going into production late this Fall. Most believe that is what people are confusing with a "refresh"
Most likely, some of the PLAID updates will be in power train, suspension, body panels and interiors. After some time, some of those improvements will most likely make their way into the standard production versions.

No evidence has indicated any major refreshments to the standard lineup.

People always want to "wait" for the next rumored improvement, but most always fail in timing attempts.

Reactions: E Dizzle and DanCar
If they did announce a new model they will likely have some sort of scheme to not kill their current production.

That might be through huge incentives and price discounts. Or initially the new plaid will be very expensive.
And after they get that up and running they will start cutting back on "Plaid" to be a cheaper 2 motor version or something. Or after the old inventory is done they start cutting the price on Plaid.

They want it to always be attractive to buy. There will be little peaks and valleys on when to buy, but that is about as hard as timing when to buy and sell stock.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Rumors I've heard:
1. Battery update during battery day Sept 22
2. Plaid update for Model S during battery day. Model X update will come later, such as next year
An update can mean more info rather than anything physical happening.

Last edited:
Have read similar questions starting when I began to read these forums over 7 years ago.
The answers are eerily similar.
History doesn't always repeat itself, but it would not surprise me to read a similar question 5 years from now.

I waited in excess of one year to order the MY to find out if Tesla would offer a factory trailer hitch on the new Y. I asked and waited and asked and waited. Finally pulled the trigger on an X to get the trailer hitch, and of course 4 months later they put the trailer hitch on the website as an option for ordering a Y. I'm very happy with the MX P100D I have, so I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Won't wait again.

I'm considering a new Model X, but I'd hate to have bad timing in terms of the refresh. I want the new features.

What is a reasonable guess as to when it will come out?

As to when they come out, the answer is constantly. Tesla has no model years and ships updates often with no announcements. They start installing the new parts in cars coming down the line. Case in point the MCU 2 (computer and displays) came out in the model of mid-March 2018. Much faster and slightly better resolution. In April/May 2018 they killed some color combinations. If you had a car on order they sent you an email telling you your car's new combination. You could take it or reply back with a different combination and they would try to get it in, or reorder the car,

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
Tesla has no model years and ships updates often with no announcements.

I understand what you're saying about them having an evolving configuration for their cars, but they do have model years at least in the legal sense. The Certificate Of Origin that comes with the car from the factory has a model year on it, and that's what will appear on the title and registration. Since unlike other cars, this doesn't coincide with an evolution of the build configuration, what is it based on? I assume that there's just a set date, and for cars manufactured after that date, they're considered to be in the next model year. I also assume that this date is not January 1, as other manufacturers advance to the next year well before that. When does this occur for Tesla?

I understand what you're saying about them having an evolving configuration for their cars, but they do have model years at least in the legal sense. The Certificate Of Origin that comes with the car from the factory has a model year on it, and that's what will appear on the title and registration. Since unlike other cars, this doesn't coincide with an evolution of the build configuration, what is it based on? I assume that there's just a set date, and for cars manufactured after that date, they're considered to be in the next model year. I also assume that this date is not January 1, as other manufacturers advance to the next year well before that. When does this occur for Tesla?
They definitely do have a model year on the sticker. We ordered a Model 3 last fall and got it Dec 28. It is listed as a 2020 car.

No idea about when they change. My guess is sometime in Fall. And this may end up being closer to the end of the year as more Gigafactories come on-line and make products for the local markets and shipping times decrease.

But to the OPs concern, the Model year is that it is not all that useful in telling what features a car has and when a person should buy a car. Just a week's difference can mean a difference of having to pay $10,000 or more for an upgraded interior and/or larger battery that is now part of the base price.

I understand what you're saying about them having an evolving configuration for their cars, but they do have model years at least in the legal sense.
Yes, but not in the “it’s a new model year and we’ve added a bunch of new features and made the tail fins even bigger” kind of sense.

Updates and revisions happen when Tesla decides they are ready to incorporate into the production line and have zero relationship to the calendar year, and there is no way to accurately predict when those updates and revisions will be made available.

Yes, but not in the “it’s a new model year and we’ve added a bunch of new features and made the tail fins even bigger” kind of sense.

Updates and revisions happen when Tesla decides they are ready to incorporate into the production line and have zero relationship to the calendar year, and there is no way to accurately predict when those updates and revisions will be made available.

That's very informative. You restated what I already said in my question, and didn't answer my question. Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: rlpvl