Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft/Vandalism - Broken passenger window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about your incident! I am curious how the car alarm responded. did it go off? was it still sounding when you got to the car? This may be a good addition to the App to give one an alarm if there is a "security issue" that triggers the alarm.

No alarm went off, as far as I know. My guess is it would only sound if the door was opened from inside while the car was locked. Here, the thief had only to break the glass and reach in. Probably knew that if he opened the door an alarm would go off - saving me my USB hard drive. (I'd swap that for my lost NEX-7, though. :mad:) And, being in an underground garage with no cell or wireless, no app connectivity, even if this is ever added (which I agree would be nice).

No alarm went off, as far as I know. My guess is it would only sound if the door was opened from inside while the car was locked. Here, the thief had only to break the glass and reach in. Probably knew that if he opened the door an alarm would go off - saving me my USB hard drive. (I'd swap that for my lost NEX-7, though. :mad:) And, being in an underground garage with no cell or wireless, no app connectivity, even if this is ever added (which I agree would be nice).

Painful. Sorry to hear you lost such a nice piece of kit.

Wow learn something new everyday, i didnt think the broken spark plug bit could do that. i know if you put enough force on a very small point it can shatter glass easily (glass breaker on the end of a knife)

anyways, maybe its time to replace the broken window with bullet resistant 1" thick poly-carbonate :) i doubt the spark plug trick will work again.

Yeah, I was curious why Tesla didn't include locking lug nuts on Model S. They did for the Roadster.

I found the locking nuts to be a pain in the butt on the Roadster, so I got four extra bolts and swapped them for normal ones. If you stripped one you'd have to cut the wheel off. Of course you need that weird torx-like adapter for the ordinary bolts anyway, so the Roadster's wheels are inherently more secure than the Model S's.

Was really sad to see this this morning in San Carlos not too far from my home; the pic's blurry but, if you zoom in, you can see all the pink (lipstick?) graffiti all over :(

photo (1).JPG

Going back to how a spark plug can shatter a window.... The ceramic on the spark plug is harder than the glass is. Tempered glass is very tough but also very brittle and under tension The slightest scratch from something harder can make it shatter. This isn't only true of car windows, but other things as well. For example, never use Pyrex dishes or pots on tempered glass tables or flat top ranges. Just dragging them across the surface can cause scratches, and they may shatter. That's what was happening with those shattering glass patio tables that were in the news awhile back.

one very clear message don't leave your stuff visible (put in trunk or frunk :wink: ) and not in front seat for everyone to be visible (camera, cell etc easy items to sell in black market)... I thought this is common knowledge (no matter which car)... I know many cases of break in at workplace garage.

I know my cover worker car break in with video available to cops but thief was never caught (cops don't give high priority to such cases than life threatening events.. guess budget issues :redface:)