Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is no Beta Model 3 - confirmed today by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is OT, but if you use any kind of decent software processes, you are not adding features after design freeze.
I'm no expert but isn't there something called Agile development that allows for iterative design?
agile-development-cycle.jpg

I'm no expert but isn't there something called Agile development that allows for iterative design?
agile-development-cycle.jpg

Works wonderfully for software, but incredibly difficult to pull off with a product that someone can physically hold (or sit in).

Sure, Agile will work for Software OTA Updates, but not so much for the physical vehicle itself. At some point "iterative design" has to stop, and you have to place that product in your customers' hands.

Someone I know just spotted a M3 driving here in DFW this morning..!! Yahoo !!
You know Rule 1 of the internet:
Pics, or it didn't happen.

I have to agree. We've seen rumors of the Model 3 being in many other cities over the past year but AFAIK there were never any pictures posted of an actual Model 3. When there were pictures, they ended up being a Model X or a Model S.

My opinion. We need to separate hardware from software.

I've been in the computer / tech industry for nearly 4 decades, and I've rarely had a project where the software was final before the hardware. In fact, as a project manager I've had to deal with the software guys demanding final hardware months before they would commit to a final software plan, let alone the actual code. Henry Kissinger got off easy.

I expect that the Model 3 hardware probably is pretty much final (aka production) representative. But I also expect that the software has still got some ways to go. They are probably down to a list of critical "show stopper" bugs that need to be fixed, or at worst, they're doing a final pass at testing to get to that showstopper list. Once those are fixed, we'll have the overall production car that can be released. Bug fixing on the non-showstopping issues would continue, of course, with a "v1.1" a month or so after release, and maybe another update a month after that, depending on what the early customers (employees, mostly) find.

So the car that Elon cites will be driving around in a week or two could very well be the final production hardware, made with production tooling, but be running beta-level software. Still on track for what has been promised. I don't see this as being inconsistent.

Statement from Tesla Switzerland (Model 3 home Page) Based on nothing ?

"Die Auslieferung von neuen Bestellungen erfolgt voraussichtlich ab Mitte 2018 oder später."

= Estimate delivery will start from mid 2018 or later !! In Tesla language means 2019 !!

The delivery of new orders could also be interpreted as "if you order/reserve in Europe today (as in March 2017) you will not get your car before the second half of 2018".
That would be a very aggressive timeline but I like it. I personally don't expect my Model 3 to arrive before the second half of 2018 and I reserved mine in May (also European).

Reactions: Red Sage
My mytesla page still states production will begin in 2017. Said so since the beginning.

Interesting since my tesla page has said the following since the beginning
"Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. Deliveries will begin in late 2017"
Your myTesla page will say something different depending on where you are located. All of the US (maybe all of North America) says deliveries will begin in late 2017, while the rest of the world just mentions when production starts.

I doubt the before 2019 (unless they are refering to new reservations), they won't be available before 2018 most certainly though. However the price information is correct. If you convert the 35.000$ to € you will have roughly 32.500€ but the conversion rate is not that great in the Model S or X. After the 20% VAT in France and higher in other European countries you will be looking at a 40.000€ base price.
No. There is a difference between price and cost. The amount after taxes are applied is the cost, and the taxes are calculated against the price.

• Informative
Reactions: KeRaSh
No. There is a difference between price and cost. The amount after taxes are applied is the cost, and the taxes are calculated against the price.
You may be correct that there is a difference between price and cost, and I may have missused it. But the article says that Tesla will display a 40.000€ offer while the Model S starts at 79.400€ which is the price including VAT. It is then implied that the 40.000€ Model 3 is the cost and not the price before taxes.

You can take a look at Model S and X prices in USA and in your country to have an idea of what the price will be. In theory it will be closer to the 35k, in practice it will be closer to the 40k since you have to pay VAT.

On the German Tesla message boards they are already saying it will be around 42k € if you compare it to the Model S but I'm hoping that Elon has mercy on us so I can add a few more extras.

On the German Tesla message boards they are already saying it will be around 42k € if you compare it to the Model S but I'm hoping that Elon has mercy on us so I can add a few more extras.
42k was the price I got too when I did the Math last year before I reserved mine. I still have a little hope that the price will be adjusted to different countries in Europe taking into account VAT and earnings in each country, but I don't think it will fall below 40k.