Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

these cheap tires worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $575 I would give them a try. They have a mileage warranty and are extremely cheap. The current stock ones on my arachnids are over $400 a tire so to me $575 is worth the gamble. Now if you drive your car hard and really push it around the corners then I wouldn't recommend cheap tires.

my thoughts are, for 575 bucks and a 40k mile warranty, these could be worth the gamble, if they do *sugar* out at 10k miles, (like even the most expensive tires do on turbines) I simply get them swapped out for brand new ones under the 40k mile warranty and they will pay for themselves

my thoughts are, for 575 bucks and a 40k mile warranty, these could be worth the gamble, if they do *sugar* out at 10k miles, (like even the most expensive tires do on turbines) I simply get them swapped out for brand new ones under the 40k mile warranty and they will pay for themselves
I think you are missing the safety aspect of it. It’s not just about the warranty. You are gambling your life. Imagine getting a blown tire at freeway speed.

Reactions: Shiro
I recently purchased winter tires for another vehicle and went thought the same decision. China built tires of an unknown brand turned out to be Michelins through a joint venture to make tires in that country. They came to North America at a low price and so far no problems on our BMW winter beater.

Years ago I purchased China made tires for an old pick up truck. They still run today without issue although the heavy duty nylon construction does flat spot when the truck is parked reminding me of tires from the past.

Blowouts on tubeless tires are rare unlike tube tires . If a tubeless radial tires fails totally it probably was due to hitting a sharp object on the road. I once experience tread separation but the tire case remained inflated and a safe stop was possible. This separation was on a Bridgestone top of the line tire so production quality can vary with any manufacturer.

My experience with low priced tires made in China has been good but I'm only one data point and I don't run my vehicles hard.

Have you ever had to make a panic stop and ended up a few feet from the bumper of the car in front of you? Or ever had to swerve to avoid a piece of debris on the highway? With cheap tires either one of those situations could easily turn into an accident. If you take a look at test data the difference in braking distance between great tires and good tires is frequently a car length or more. That's a huge distance in a panic stop and that's still considering a good name brand tire, not some no-name chinaesium.

Tires connect your car to the road, good tires will save your butt in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few $$$ but does it make sense? Obviously you can’t predict when you will need your tires. Tires are one of those things you would rather have and not need, then need and not have. If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

PS I’ve seen tire discussions on here before and on top of everything else mentioned above usually these low priced tires don’t meet the load rating required for a Tesla just adding another item to the list, the risk of a blowout...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shiro
Tires connect your car to the road, good tires will save your butt in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few $$$ but does it make sense? Obviously you can’t predict when you will need your tires. Tires are one of those things you would rather have and not need, then need and not have. If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

PS I’ve seen tire discussions on here before and on top of everything else mentioned above usually these low priced tires don’t meet the load rating required for a Tesla just adding another item to the list, the risk of a blowout...
Load rating and speed rating is identical on those cheapos to my stock tires

Load rating and speed rating is identical on those cheapos to my stock tires
That was just a bonus point it still fails all other criteria,

in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few dollars but does it make sense? If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

A quote from one of the below videos 70-0 mph test, “The budget tyre took an average of 14 metres or 3 and 1/2 car lengths extra to stop. When the premium tyre had come to a stop, the car on budget tyres was still travelling at 31mph.”

Point is tires are your safety and you should never cheap out on them!

Here’s a few informational videos on the subject of your a visual learner

Last edited: