TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

these cheap tires worth it?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

what are your thoughts on these tires for my 2017 Model S with 21 Turbines.
    only $575 for set of 4. all the specs seem to check out aannnnd comes with a 40k mile warranty. double plus for the 21s. Do these check out?

24011001 Nankang AS-1 245/35R21XL 96Y BSW Tires

2. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

Nankang? Those giants of the industry? A mechanic once said to me (of my BMW), if you can afford the car, you can afford the repairs. That lesson holds here to--you've dropped a ton of money on the car, don't let a few hundred dollars (a few weeks' depreciation) cause you to sacrifice the overall experience for the next few years.

• Like x 4
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They will be loud. They will be hard to balance. Changes are they will have lots of mold flashing on the sidewalls. They will not perform as well as the stock tires in dry or wet weather. And lastly, they will not last as long. You get what you pay for.

• Like x 2
  4. outie

outie Active Member

Tires are most important part of the car. Stay with the big known brands.

• Like x 3
  5. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Former Vendor

For $575 I would give them a try. They have a mileage warranty and are extremely cheap. The current stock ones on my arachnids are over $400 a tire so to me $575 is worth the gamble. Now if you drive your car hard and really push it around the corners then I wouldn't recommend cheap tires.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I went with the Falken Azenis, the Michelin tires lasted me less than 10k miles. So after 3 sets in the last 2 years I decided to try out the Falkens

• Like x 1
  7. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I don't necessarily claim that Toyo tires are really good, but my thoughts on tires in general are reflected thusly:

• Funny x 3
  8. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

my thoughts are, for 575 bucks and a 40k mile warranty, these could be worth the gamble, if they do *sugar* out at 10k miles, (like even the most expensive tires do on turbines) I simply get them swapped out for brand new ones under the 40k mile warranty and they will pay for themselves

9. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

oh, not to mention, these seem to have good reviews on their site. even a review from a Tesla owner

10. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

• Like x 1
  11. outie

outie Active Member

I think you are missing the safety aspect of it. It’s not just about the warranty. You are gambling your life. Imagine getting a blown tire at freeway speed.

• Like x 1
  12. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

• Disagree x 1
  13. andrewortman

andrewortman Member

I stick with Michelin - I really really like the Pilot Super Sports for summer or the AS/3 series for all weather. The PSS and the newer PSS 4S tires are absolutely stunning

14. steve841

steve841 Active Member

• Informative x 1
  15. Don85D

Don85D Member

I recently purchased winter tires for another vehicle and went thought the same decision. China built tires of an unknown brand turned out to be Michelins through a joint venture to make tires in that country. They came to North America at a low price and so far no problems on our BMW winter beater.

Years ago I purchased China made tires for an old pick up truck. They still run today without issue although the heavy duty nylon construction does flat spot when the truck is parked reminding me of tires from the past.

Blowouts on tubeless tires are rare unlike tube tires . If a tubeless radial tires fails totally it probably was due to hitting a sharp object on the road. I once experience tread separation but the tire case remained inflated and a safe stop was possible. This separation was on a Bridgestone top of the line tire so production quality can vary with any manufacturer.

My experience with low priced tires made in China has been good but I'm only one data point and I don't run my vehicles hard.

16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Have you ever had to make a panic stop and ended up a few feet from the bumper of the car in front of you? Or ever had to swerve to avoid a piece of debris on the highway? With cheap tires either one of those situations could easily turn into an accident. If you take a look at test data the difference in braking distance between great tires and good tires is frequently a car length or more. That's a huge distance in a panic stop and that's still considering a good name brand tire, not some no-name chinaesium.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Just because the tires are cheap does not make them bad. I took a gamble 6 years ago on General Winter tires for another car, and they are still great with lots of tread depth left.

• Like x 2
  18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

#18 Tech_Guy, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Tires connect your car to the road, good tires will save your butt in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few $$$ but does it make sense? Obviously you can’t predict when you will need your tires. Tires are one of those things you would rather have and not need, then need and not have. If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

PS I’ve seen tire discussions on here before and on top of everything else mentioned above usually these low priced tires don’t meet the load rating required for a Tesla just adding another item to the list, the risk of a blowout...

• Like x 1
  19. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Load rating and speed rating is identical on those cheapos to my stock tires

20. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

#20 Tech_Guy, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    That was just a bonus point it still fails all other criteria,

in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few dollars but does it make sense? If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

A quote from one of the below videos 70-0 mph test, “The budget tyre took an average of 14 metres or 3 and 1/2 car lengths extra to stop. When the premium tyre had come to a stop, the car on budget tyres was still travelling at 31mph.”

Point is tires are your safety and you should never cheap out on them!

Here’s a few informational videos on the subject of your a visual learner

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1