Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They forgot to remove the autopilot I did not pay for!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All - OK I feel really bad about this, but picked up my new Model S today and Tesla totally forgot to remove the Autopilot option that I had specifically excluded from my order (and DID NOT pay for).

The delivery guy at the dealer's was totally embarassed and did not know how to deal with the situation, he pretty much just let me drive away in a very awkward "I'm sooo getting in trouble for this" kind of way.

Does anyone know if the Firmware will catch up with me and somehow remove the option? I doubt they can do it via firmware. Something tells me I'm getting an email within the day from my sales guy, asking me to return to they can "fix a delivery issue". Not sure what the right thing to do it... it feels a little too nice of me to inform them of their mistake.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
They can easily remotely disable it. Don't sweat. It's always good policy to be honest and now it's on Tesla.

Yeah I agree, it's not mine to keep considering I did not pay for it, at the same time I'm not going out of my way to get the problem "fixed". If it gets fixed via firmware then so be it.

It's a little like the ATM handing you an extra $20. How much trouble are you gonna go through to return that $20 to the bank... you still feel bad about it but until (and if) the bank calls, it's your $20.

Reactions: David29 and croman
You can buy it at any time and they can turn it on, and they can turn it off at any time. They don't need to touch the car.

The way the delivery guy was acting at the dealer, it really seemed like he had messed up big time. He was all flustered and stuff. Maybe he did not know it can just be applied via firmware... or maybe there's more to it than that. Anyways time will tell.

If I was a real jerk about it (which I am not) - I think a judge would say that the car was signed-off and delivered with the feature, so Tesla no longer has an inherent right to remove it. Would make for an interesting legal argument - something which I would certainly not waste my time on.

1. It's not 'firmware', it's part of the firmware, of course, but AP isn't technically 'applied via firmware'. It's an option code that the car has or doesn't have, and Tesla can disable or enable that option for you if you purchase it now or in the future. It's a few minutes for them to disable it. No idea what the big deal was with the delivery person. It's the same if you purchase FSD (Full Self Driving) down the road. It will be enabled in a few minutes.

2. We've not heard of anyone getting a trial for this in years; there was time when they had a new version come out and people got it for a while, and you could purchase it or not. But not as part of every new car.

I agree I can't see anyone purchasing a Tesla and not getting EAP. I've seen a lot of people ordering 3's and saying they don't drive enough to make it worth it. Isn't that the point, to get the car to drive, and have it help you drive? WTF?

I agree I can't see anyone purchasing a Tesla and not getting EAP. I've seen a lot of people ordering 3's and saying they don't drive enough to make it worth it. Isn't that the point, to get the car to drive, and have it help you drive? WTF?
Well, see me. I didn't get EAP on my last 2 Teslas. I have AP1 on one of the cars and stopped using it when I realized it lulls you into a false sense of confidence and then it becomes really dangerous. As Tesla fine print says, the driver always has to pay extra attention to make sure the car doesn't do something stupid like kill you by driving itself I to a median. I am now a believer in Google's conclusion that Level 2/3 cannot be safely implemented.