Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They made Homelink harder to use again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Homelink button is the one item on the screen I need to use the most often and this latest update just turned it back into a tiny icon waaay over on the top right. Why, oh why do programmers insist on messing with things that work just fine? I cannot allow Homelink to automatically activate based on location. I need that button to be close at hand.

The Homelink button is the one item on the screen I need to use the most often and this latest update just turned it back into a tiny icon waaay over on the top right. Why, oh why do programmers insist on messing with things that work just fine? I cannot allow Homelink to automatically activate based on location. I need that button to be close at hand.
Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over on the top right…..do you need to get out of the car go around to the passenger side to hit the button? Maybe get a stick if you cant reach it

I would say that the most recent change probably isn't as big of an impact to the folks that use just one opener but I have a driveway gate and a garage door to open and this new change is a pain. I have auto open on the gate, but I don't use the auto close feature and no matter what, at some point I have to get the button menu to appear. It would be nice if the buttons on the top of the central display were just a bit wider or not quite as close together as it is easy to press the activate button when trying to get the Homelink menu. Like ULEWZ said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would love to have the old buttons back.

Reactions: Patrick66
I like it at the top right as it never obstructs anything any more (blind spot camera, etc) -- but I don't like how quickly it goes from being a drop-down item to the tiny icon. As someone else posted, when I get in my car, it's large and dropped down from the top right corner. After I've backed out of the garage, it's turned into the miniscule icon in the top right. Just keep it large.

I completely agree. The Homelink buttons used to be perfectly sized and positioned and after two updates they’ve gone from bad to worse. I use Homelink to open an electronic gate AND my garage. (People who only use Homelink for one device may not have this same issue). I cannot use the automatic open/close as I find this to be very dangerous to my wife and kids, and yet every day, I struggle to find the correct, tiny, distant button and am constantly hitting the wrong button, as the location of the garage or gate button toggles back and forth depending on how close I am to either and is also based on which button I chose the last time. One day I will hit the gate button by accident while I am driving through it and crush the car. Please, please please - allow us to choose to go back to the old size and location of Home link!!!

We have a gate plus garage door, garage on auto and gate on manual. Gate is sometimes left open so auto open will close it. Auto close was usually a problem as well. Garage is auto/auto. Gate and garage are ~150' apart. My problem is the garage is the only visible link until I am another 100' away from the gate, essentially when I am on the main road.

Has anybody else experienced this, or figured out a work-around?

When returning home, the Homelink Menu pops-up as I approach the rear of my home on a different street, but then the menu disappears, however several seconds later, when I arrive at my home's street address, the Homelink Menu never pops-up again. So, I have to manually tap Controls - Homlink - Homelink Device to open the garage door opener. It's been like this since I bought the car new in 2018. I had a workaround of setting up two devices. The second device was a dummy device setup down the street of my home address.

That workaround lasted until Tesla implemented the "Activate" button. Anyone know of a new workaround for situations like mine?

Last edited:
Try setting a shorter activation distance. I believe default is 70ft.
Thanks. Should have mentioned that. I have adjusted the distance setting, but the distance setting to eliminate the false pop-up menu results in a late pop-up menu and causes an extra wait times for the door to open.

It's silly that the only way Tesla allows adjusting the distance setting for "Manual Open" pop-up menu, is to first enable "Automatic Open" check box, reset the distance, then disable "Automatic Open" check box.

Thanks. Should have mentioned that. I have adjusted the distance setting, but the distance setting to eliminate the false pop-up menu results in a late pop-up menu and causes an extra wait times for the door to open.

It's silly that the only way Tesla allows adjusting the distance setting for "Manual Open" pop-up menu, is to first enable "Automatic Open" check box, reset the distance, then disable "Automatic Open" check box.
Try setting the trigger location to be farther in front of your house, combined with smaller radius.