Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I learned about Slacker Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
been waiting forever for Spotify integration (well 6months as a TEsla owner and I had read the Electek blog that it was coming soon, back in Sep '16). I bought slacker premium because kids wanted instant gratification - the song they want to play needs to play, simple. So this weekend, I told my son (11yrs) to move all playlists from spotify to Slacker so I don't need to pay spotify monthly - and he can get 2-months of spotify subscription as reward. He started on it for an hour, with multiple windows, faster search, drag and drop etc. He then gave up. did google search and said, Tesla will support spotify soon - and stopped the migration. I didn't tell him - Tesla's "soon" has time-bending logic that may keep stretching.
He might get back to the migration next weekend...we will see. Hate it that Slacker (or any other competitive streamer) doesn't have a "transfer your playlists" tool to make it easier to woo subscribers.

Do you have trouble getting any song you want to play on demand with the default Slacker? I've never had it fail to find the song I want when I request it with voice command. The only thing I can't do is immediately play the song again, but after a short period I can request it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: NikeWings
Email your VIN to Tesla to get your credentials. Your email has to come from the email account registered with your Tesla account.

I asked and they sent me the login credentials within an hour.

I got my credentials a few hours after asking, but did not try them because it turned out not to be needed for the feature I was trying to use (new "Favorites" station).

I emailed [email protected] at 9:43 AM ET and I also received their response with my Slacker Radio credentials within a few minutes at 10:05 AM ET.

Tesla's email response included the following messages:

We do not recommend that you change the account password as this can affect your access to the account in the future should the password be lost.​

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).​

Reactions: EVChris
And by the way, I do really like the new Favorites station (now that i found it -- that was embarassing!). It is very nice to be able to listen to all your favorites from across all the other streaming stations -- more variety, and yet also more of what I like.
Very cool!

I emailed [email protected] at 9:43 AM ET and I also received their response with my Slacker Radio credentials within a few minutes at 10:05 AM ET.

We do not recommend that you change the account password as this can affect your access to the account in the future should the password be lost.​

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).​
Yes, that's been their standard email for years.

Reactions: Joelc
I want Apple music. Off topic I know. Yes, I'm in Apples private eco system, but have been for quite some time. I like it and feel no great need to change. My home Sonos can access Apple Music with their app, why cant Tesla provide one? I know, they are too busy with AP2, and M3.

I am still in awe that when an Apple device phone/ipad, etc., is plugged into USB, the MS is unable to manage the device or play songs. I have to do thru the Apple device. Primitive for a technology/car company. My last 3 BMW's could do it (then anyone can). :(

The reason for this is because your Slacker account (the free one provided by Tesla) is a Slacker Radio Plus account (which costs $4/month...not sure how much (if any) Tesla pays for that). Plus strips out commercials while the free version has commercials. The account is good for one year and Tesla renews it in some way every year. Supposedly, if you change the password for the free Tesla account, they lose the ability to go in there and renew the plus subscription.

Of note, even when you get the Tesla login, you can't go in and upgrade it to a premium account ($10/month), but you can use the Tesla credentials to login to the account online and (a) play music, (b) set favorites, (c) change the account zip code, etc. If you want premium, you need to create a new account, upgrade it and then login to it on your Tesla.

I've also noted that the "Tesla Favorites" station is apparently only reachable from the Tesla account, not from my Premium Slacker account...

The reason for this is because your Slacker account (the free one provided by Tesla) is a Slacker Radio Plus account (which costs $4/month...not sure how much (if any) Tesla pays for that). Plus strips out commercials while the free version has commercials. The account is good for one year and Tesla renews it in some way every year. Supposedly, if you change the password for the free Tesla account, they lose the ability to go in there and renew the plus subscription.

Of note, even when you get the Tesla login, you can't go in and upgrade it to a premium account ($10/month), but you can use the Tesla credentials to login to the account online and (a) play music, (b) set favorites, (c) change the account zip code, etc. If you want premium, you need to create a new account, upgrade it and then login to it on your Tesla.

I've also noted that the "Tesla Favorites" station is apparently only reachable from the Tesla account, not from my Premium Slacker account...
I wonder if you make the Tesla Favorite channel a Slacker Favorite (mine wasn't by default) if it would then show up in Premium. Just a thought.

Tried...can't even find it when searching from my premium account -- either on a PC or in the car. I'm wondering if it is a channel reserved for Tesla accounts... Has anyone out there been able to access it from a premium account?
I'm saying try to make it a favorite from your Tesla account and then give it a few minutes to sync then log in with your Premium and see if it's there. If that's what you did I apologize for not understanding.

IMO, the whole Slacker UI is a little muddied
There should be a way to create your own play lists in the car, I really don't want to sit on my computer and search for songs and then add them to a playlist. You should also be able to rev and scrub the Radio songs if your logged into your Premium account, which of course you cannot do.
I'm fine with paying $10 bucks a month, but they need to have these features available

IMO, the whole Slacker UI is a little muddied
There should be a way to create your own play lists in the car, I really don't want to sit on my computer and search for songs and then add them to a playlist. You should also be able to rev and scrub the Radio songs if your logged into your Premium account, which of course you cannot do.
I'm fine with paying $10 bucks a month, but they need to have these features available
Not sure I agree with that. I believe the intent in the car UI is to support driving. Creating playlists isn't a driving activity. Now being able to add a song to an existing playlist would make sense, but I guess they decided that would be overly complex...

Yes, that's been their standard email for years.

My previous response to the above comment was poking fun at myself by assigning the Captain Obvious moniker, to myself. You know, a little humor.

I had advised that I reached out to [email protected] for assistance with Slacker Radio. It was quickly pointed out to me, and the rest of us, that this has been Tesla's general support email for quite some time. For us newbies, including myself, I thought it would be helpful to provide this email for those other Tesla novices since I did not come across it in this thread.

Well, come to find out, someone took exception with me calling myself, Captain Obvious. As such, my comment was removed from this thread and relegated to page 173 of the snippiness forum, comment #3443:

"Your post in the thread Things I learned about Slacker Streaming was moved to snippiness."​

Rough crowd, or possible misunderstanding.

Things I learned about Slacker Streaming?? Try not to be too helpful or too humorous in this thread.

My previous response to the above comment was poking fun at myself by assigning the Captain Obvious moniker, to myself. You know, a little humor.

I had advised that I reached out to [email protected] for assistance with Slacker Radio. It was quickly pointed out to me, and the rest of us, that this has been Tesla's general support email for quite some time. For us newbies, including myself, I thought it would be helpful to provide this email for those other Tesla novices since I did not come across it in this thread.

Well, come to find out, someone took exception with me calling myself, Captain Obvious. As such, my comment was removed from this thread and relegated to page 173 of the snippiness forum, comment #3443:

"Your post in the thread Things I learned about Slacker Streaming was moved to snippiness."​

Rough crowd, or possible misunderstanding.

Things I learned about Slacker Streaming?? Try not to be too helpful or too humorous in this thread.
It wasn't me that took objection to it even though it was directed to me. I was surprised to see it in "snippiness" too so I assumed the MOD of this thread was overly "enthusiastic". ;). Don't sweat it.

Reactions: Sawyer8888

Just sent a request again. Maybe 5th time lucky?

Just sent a request again. Maybe 5th time lucky?

It's Sunday, so unless Tesla has transitioned to full-autonomous customer service, we'll probably have to wait until tomorrow for a response.

I sent an inquiry earlier today requesting assistance. My favorite radio stations have a not-so-unique ability to vanish. This forum and YouTube do not seem to have the answers. At least I can't find any.

If there's one thing I would like to learn about Slacker streaming, it is how to recover my lost favorites.