Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I will miss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong, just because I will miss having these things doesn't mean that I will love my Tesla any the less; what I will be getting vastly outweighs what I will be missing.

Apple Car Play
AM Radio
Map database on board
Seat cooler
Steering wheel heater
CD player
Side mirror dimming
Blind spot warning on the mirrors

After almost 14 months in the Model 3, I miss in descending order:

Blind spot & rear cross traffic warnings.
Apple car play (more for txt message handling)
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated seats, although I miss them a LOT less than I thought I would

I think I would indeed miss the dimming mirrors - glad I have them.

Reactions: GSP and AC2DC
My experienceS with the nav offline have been poor. Sometimes it has the maps, sometimes it’s just a grid.

One thing is consistent: if you disrupt the routing once out of cell service, there’s no getting your directions back until you’re back in service.

So, proper offline maps I totally agree with. IMO this should be first on your “wish list” I think and add waypoint routing + “search along route”, both which google maps on iOS offers.

So one thing I'll point out ... I thought I'd miss the heated steering wheel from my Caddy.... but I found it 100% unnecessary in the Tesla.

Why's that, you ask?

Because you can pre-heat the cabin SO efficiently. Even at the deadest cold of winter, the pre-heating is SO efficient that the entire cabin is warm when I get in. That includes the surfaces. My wife's fingers turn blue in the winter (Reynaud's syndrome) - so I expected it to be a major, major issue for her. Not even a little bit. She even said the Model 3 is by far the most comfortable winter car she's ever driven. Going from the house to the Model 3 is like moving from the bedroom to the living room - it's every bit as comfy as being in the house, temperature-wise. And given that we park outdoors all year around (garage is too small to fit the Model 3) - that's quite an accomplishment!
What region do you live and do you notice much of a range hit in the winter?

What region do you live and do you notice much of a range hit in the winter?

I'm in New Jersey... so yes there is a range hit in the winter. That said - the car's rated for 310 miles. Do you know how many times I drive 310 miles without stopping? The answer is .... exactly zero.

200 miles or so is realistic in the winter, and I find that perfectly, perfectly acceptable. Gets me from my home to, say, Albany NY. Or Marlborough, MA under the worst of conditions. Without a stop. If I made a quick stop, I could just keep going anywhere I darn well pleased.

Zero winter issues for me, at all.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Saturday
You're right, Michelle, toggling between phone and iPod is a pain. You win! :)

BTW iPod Touch have had Bluetooth since 2nd gen (2008).
It's not a contest; there is no win or lose. It's a matter of priorities. What I consider to be a minor annoyance at best, you consider to be a more important issue. You have a solution that works for you, and that's good. I hope this is the end of this discussion.

Peace out.

Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill?
Alas, as you have well experienced, this is common practice around here (as it is on most message boards).

With all due respect, Michelle, I don't think so. Just buy a used iPod, copy your CDs to it, and share via Bluetooth. No USB drive or cable required. Am I missing something?
Yes, the THREE POSTS before this one where @Michelle_eriw said they didn't have the hardware (optical reader on their computer) nor the desire to do this.

Personally, I can't stand the sound quality of streaming music, so all my music listening is from music on a thumb drive. But I also invested heavily in a better sound system for my car. I know this is not for everyone, but it is important to me. We all get to make our own decisions in life about what is (and isn't important). Let @Michelle_eriw make her own choices and respect them.

Don't get me wrong, just because I will miss having these things doesn't mean that I will love my Tesla any the less; what I will be getting vastly outweighs what I will be missing.

Apple Car Play
AM Radio
Map database on board
Seat cooler
Steering wheel heater
CD player
Side mirror dimming
Blind spot warning on the mirrors

AM radio is a bummer. I listen to a station that has an FM HD station but the Model 3 gets pretty crappy reception so I have to stream it through iheartradio. The maps on the 3 are google maps so it doesnt bother me so much not having android/apple options. Seat coolers would certainly be clutch. I have the black interior and my back gets so sweaty in the summer. The side mirror change is kinda lame. Thankfully mine is early enough to have them but I feel your pain. The blind spot monitoring does a chime now per the last update now so its not so bad now.

I think you'll be the only one missing a CD player these days.

Wow.. the grief Michelle is getting for mentioning that she misses a CD player is comical.

I primarily miss having a manual transmission. Certainly not enough to give up one-pedal driving, autopilot, instant torque, the lack of need for maintenance, and crawling in traffic while in comfort, but enough to look around for a fun weekender that does have a third pedal.

Reactions: Phlier
One alternative for your AM is finding where your favorite radio stations can be found on HD. For example, KNX 1070 News Radio here in LA can be listened to in my Tesla on 101.1-2 KRTH HD2. I am not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but most of the AM stations here in LA that I wanted were found this way in my Tesla. Sadly, it doesn't show that way in the display (the above mentioned KNX just shows as KRTH HD-2), but you should be able to find most of your AM stations that way.

Or streaming on IHeartRadio (or other such apps)

555840-fcaus1_0.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
(At least I didn't include cassette player.)

Funny you said that. Back when CD players were mainstream and casette players were on their way out, I lamented that I preferred the casette player because I could use an adapter that could connect to various music playing devices, including ipods, phones, etc. If the car didn't have a 3.5mm AUX input, I was forced to use my CDs.

Grats on the 3!