Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that could be improved on your 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wipers. Nothing else, just the wipers. Drove through squally showers yesterday. Rain coming on very hard and all of a sudden. Wipers stayed on intermittant for at least 20 seconds after rain started each time. Impossible to see, had to do lots of manual pressing. Needs improving asap as it's a safety issue.
Absolutely. I just did a stint on the motorway where it wasn't raining, but there was spray from other cars. The auto wipers would not activate and I had to mess around with the controls constantly - made worse by the fact it's much harder to do whilst driving that an on-stalk wiper adjustment.

Absolutely. I just did a stint on the motorway where it wasn't raining, but there was spray from other cars. The auto wipers would not activate and I had to mess around with the controls constantly - made worse by the fact it's much harder to do whilst driving that an on-stalk wiper adjustment.

Yeah, have to agree. Reasonably good in heavy rain but no good for showers in the UK.

Reactions: adsheff
all cars are calibrated fast by law I believe it is 0+5% so the speedo is always faster than actual

My understanding is that a speedo must read between 0% and 110% of actual. Tyre wear will make the exact amount that the speedo varies change over the life of the tyres. So it can never show you going slower than actual, but will more than likely show faster to allow for tyre wear.

how easy to spray fluid is it? I am a stikler for keeping crap of my screen to the point id stop and clean it if it got to bad on a good day.

My understanding is that a speedo must read between 0% and 110% of actual. Tyre wear will make the exact amount that the speedo varies change over the life of the tyres. So it can never show you going slower than actual, but will more than likely show faster to allow for tyre wear.
go to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer look at the error section.. make your own conclusions. and as the next esection says 110% so I was close I sjust couldn't remember the exact number

how easy to spray fluid is it? I am a stikler for keeping crap of my screen to the point id stop and clean it if it got to bad on a good day.
Spraying fluid is very easy, just push the stalk. Same for a single wipe. Changing wipe speeds manually is not that easy and IMO needs changing. Icons should be much bigger and higher up the screen.

Spraying fluid is very easy, just push the stalk. Same for a single wipe. Changing wipe speeds manually is not that easy and IMO needs changing. Icons should be much bigger and higher up the screen.
it would be good if they were urgency based and that changed as situation dictates so if it starts raining then the wiper controls automatically come to the for over your entertainment controls. as it gets dark the light controls pop up and become important and so on. obviously they would still eb in a fixed place in menus at all time but the "favourite" controls could be situational.

Reactions: freekie and Cwmwd
go to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer look at the error section.. make your own conclusions. and as the next esection says 110% so I was close I sjust couldn't remember the exact number

the actual is

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200001/ldhansrd/vo010312/text/10312w01.htm said:
Lord Whitty: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied. The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.

Apologies for sounding like a pedant, but I initially replied to a post that I must have initially misread (or it changed) so my reply was actually based on something else and by time I had realised that it was nitpicking, it had already been replied to otherwise I would have deleted it as it was also wrong as it omitted the +4kmh.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phillcom3
Another one I would like is the fog lights to have an easier access button on the screen, even one button to put fronts on press again to put on rears and again to turn both off. sometimes when you hit banks of dense fog, you want to get them on quick as possible with taking your eyes off the road.

I like to keep to the speed limit, but I find it difficult when not using TACC, having to frequently glance at the speed display.
In a Mercedes I had it had a maximum speed mode, I loved it, used it all the time, much more than cruise control.
I’d love one on the model 3 - may be activation by a triple press on the stalk. (Setting the current speed)
What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cogarch
I like to keep to the speed limit, but I find it difficult when not using TACC, having to frequently glance at the speed display.
In a Mercedes I had it had a maximum speed mode...
what you describe as maximum speed mode is TACC in the M3, no? I love the fact that it defaults to the current speed limit and that means you don't have to look at anything more than the screen's speed limit sign to check it's correct (as it's not always).

the actual is

Apologies for sounding like a pedant, but I initially replied to a post that I must have initially misread (or it changed) so my reply was actually based on something else and by time I had realised that it was nitpicking, it had already been replied to otherwise I would have deleted it as it was also wrong as it omitted the +4kmh.
no worries if I cant find the true sorce and someone does im not going to get annoyed about it, I deal with regs to much in work to get flusterd about them haha.

however, its still what I said prity much ... just to throw that out there haha

In a Mercedes I had it had a maximum speed mode, I loved it, used it all the time, much more than cruise control.
I’d love one on the model 3 - may be activation by a triple press on the stalk. (Setting the current speed)
What do you think?
you say speed limiter dosnt exist on tesla? I thought it did :s