Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that could be improved on your 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The change lanes feature is an optional extra. If you buy it, you can use it.

The second point - I'm not sure how often you really need to change the air direction, but if you need to, just pop the autopilot on for a minute so it can take care of the driving. That IMO is the best thing about the M3 - just how safe it is. Fiddling with anything in any car takes your eyes and hands off the road, the difference is the Model 3 can drive without you!
Lane change - yes I know it's part of FSD, which I do not have. For me it makes using autopilot very annoying.

Maybe it's just me but I find I want to change the temperature and airflow reasonably often. What you suggest is a possibility on a major road, but most of my journeys are around town and I don't trust the autopilot/TACC enough in a crowded environment. As I said, the interface could definitely be improved here. Some of the touch buttons are way too small.

Having to re-engage autopilot every time I change lanes - which is often in the UK.

Often recently, I’ve been on a very rainy motorway and navigate on autopilot chickens out, so I have to change lanes manually (cry me a river). I seem to have to disengage everything and perform the manoeuvre.

Is there an easy way to disengage the automated lane keeping (steering) but retain the cruise control while I change lanes?

• Funny
Reactions: adsheff
Often recently, I’ve been on a very rainy motorway and navigate on autopilot chickens out, so I have to change lanes manually (cry me a river). I seem to have to disengage everything and perform the manoeuvre.

Is there an easy way to disengage the automated lane keeping (steering) but retain the cruise control while I change lanes?
Yes - all you do is half-press the indicator and hold it (Not the full click), and start turning the wheel slightly. The autosteer disengages, and the cruise control stays on, if the road is clear it will also start to accelerate if you are going below the set speed due to cars in front.

I wish the nav system remembered which view I prefer when navigating to a specific destination. I always have to press the the route overview control two times after the route is planned to get back to the view I like. (The curved arrow one that's not north up or direction of travel up; whatever that view is called.)

Tap the place top entry in the directions description panel. It'll revert to the view you prefer.

Personally, I'm in love with the overview which scales in as you get closer to your destination. I've waited many years for that on Google Maps so it's great to discover I have that view in my M3.

I think that the Tesla Model 3 designers of the display forget that owners of right hand drive cars are using their left hand to operate the controls. As only 7 - 10% of the population are left handed (according to Alexa) this makes it more awkward for 90% of owners. I feel that this hasn’t been taken into account in the design. The controls could be able to be adjusted to be larger on the screen or let the steering wheel buttons become a mouse to highlight and activate a control on the screen or better still a choice of both. :cool:

I think that the Tesla Model 3 designers of the display forget that owners of right hand drive cars are using their left hand to operate the controls. As only 7 - 10% of the population are left handed (according to Alexa) this makes it more awkward for 90% of owners. I feel that this hasn’t been taken into account in the design. The controls could be able to be adjusted to be larger on the screen or let the steering wheel buttons become a mouse to highlight and activate a control on the screen or better still a choice of both. :cool:

Speaking as a left hander I can tell you that the issue is more to do with the position on the screen being further away from the driver. I find the positioning of some screen items less than ideal despite being left handed, being so far away... so I agree with your point but it's awkward for lefties too actually.

Reactions: Roy W.
Option for sentry to only record if ultrasonics detected something. May also help with allowing a low power sentry mode.
Would love that, and option for selecting activation zones.

I actually find it much easier to rest my fingers on the edge of the screen and then use thumb to press the screen, as long as I'm going for something close...ish to the edge. Less wobbly ;)
Exactly how I adjust temp. I also just learnt you can press and slide your finger left and right for temp and volume (although the steering wheel for volume is perfect.) I should probably read the manual soon.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Option for sentry to only record if ultrasonics detected something. May also help with allowing a low power sentry mode.

I would like Sentry to be a bit more configurable and smart:

* Sensitivity
* Headlights flash on/off (this attracts people to the car unnecessarily)
* Audio recording on/off (car has a mic, let's use it!)
* Occupancy detection - if car detects an occupant without detecting an approach first, don't play the bloody music. Or let us switch the music off by default.

Also, can we have a media player built into Theatre for reviewing Sentry clips?

Not asking for much, right :D

Compared to VW e-up I owned, the Tesla e-pedal (accelerate/brake) is less smooth. In the Tesla, there is a small dead zone between accelerate and braking. And the braking, when kicks in, is more sudden, jarring.

The e-up had a totally smooth power curve between power and brake almost like they were overlapping

The route planner needs option to modify or select your own route. And save it.

The auto high beam needs a half option to always auto down, but not to auto on.

Symbols that mean something would be good. How many dots is unhelpful.

They need to dig out the guys from the very early Macintosh days who came up with the Human Interface Guidelines. This was back when you couldn't rely on "assumed knowledge" for people using a graphical interface. They did a great job and the early Mac systems had a well earned reputation for ease of use as a result. Nowadays things have moved on but there is so much assumed knowledge and non intuitive functionality (on Macs too).