Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about tint, concerned about visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am set on tinting (happening on Monday). I was originally thinking about 35% all around including rear (1 piece), however I am concerned about visibility. I am now leaning towards 50% all around or if visibility is going to be an issue, then 70% front and 50% back and perhaps I don't tint the rear windshield? I don't need the car looking "cool", just need some protection for the baby in back and for the car to look better.

I will be getting Xpel ceramic tint.

Reactions: EliteFinish
Depends on what UV rejection you are looking for a good tint like photosync has good Uv protection even with their 50% film

50% is not that dark so I think you will be fine

So I am set on tinting (happening on Monday). I was originally thinking about 35% all around including rear (1 piece), however I am concerned about visibility. I am now leaning towards 50% all around or if visibility is going to be an issue, then 70% front and 50% back and perhaps I don't tint the rear windshield? I don't need the car looking "cool", just need some protection for the baby in back and for the car to look better.

I will be getting Xpel ceramic tint.

Thanks for posting this. I am trying to decide on the exact same numbers (no baby involved, though).

Reactions: jbrady3324
Same boat, new baby and just started looking at tint... never did this to any of my cars before. I've noticed there is a fair amount of light shining into his face from the rear window so I'm thinking of doing everything but the front windshield

Reactions: jbrady3324
50% in front 35% rear. Suntek CIR
CBFFAC93-1CD6-457D-9DCB-8D554F94F9FD.jpeg

I should add...no visibility issues, but I also did the full back in 35% since the sun is so harsh on the car seats back there. It’s dark, but not an issue.

50% in front 35% rear. Suntek CIRView attachment 414408

I should add...no visibility issues, but I also did the full back in 35% since the sun is so harsh on the car seats back there. It’s dark, but not an issue.

Any visibility issues at night with the dimming mirrors?

I have 35% on the sides and 50% on the rear.

How do you feel about the rear being lighter than the sides?

When you say to protect the baby in the back, what are you trying to protect against? UV? There is already "some" UV protection in the windows. On my car I wanted to have as much visible light come in, yet get more protection from UV and Ultraviolet. Thus, I put in a 10%. It REALLY cut down a lot of heat on the MX and it is hard to tell that a film is even on it. I didn't care about making it have a sexy look. I just wanted function.

Any visibility issues at night with the dimming mirrors?

How do you feel about the rear being lighter than the sides?

Tints are the inverse of the % so rear is darker than sides. 35% is a fairly dark tint.

My state limits the tint to your numbers as well, but I honestly thought your front windows were down at first, and they have 50% tint?!?! They look far brighter than the 15% difference would suggest, when compared to your rears. Does the fronts feel as light as it looks, in person?

The angle of the pic is weird. When in the sun at certain angles the tints will look a lot lighter. In the shade it looks very much like 50%.

When you say to protect the baby in the back, what are you trying to protect against? UV? There is already "some" UV protection in the windows. On my car I wanted to have as much visible light come in, yet get more protection from UV and Ultraviolet. Thus, I put in a 10%. It REALLY cut down a lot of heat on the MX and it is hard to tell that a film is even on it. I didn't care about making it have a sexy look. I just wanted function.

The “some” UV in the back only goes about halfway down. After the tint all the way to the bottom I can barely feel any ambient heat back there. The kids are 3 and 5 but their car seats will get hot when parked in the sun. So far it’s a vast improvement over OEM tint.

I'm wondering if you know that it isn't the visible light that is harsh on the seats? You can get very low % visible films that give just as much protection against UV.

True, but I feel with the Suntek ceramic I’m getting both. I also wanted to block the bright sun coming in the rear windows on long trips back and forth between the Bay and Tahoe.

The “some” UV in the back only goes about halfway down. After the tint all the way to the bottom I can barely feel any ambient heat back there. The kids are 3 and 5 but their car seats will get hot when parked in the sun. So far it’s a vast improvement over OEM tint.
yes, agree. that is what I was talking about. After I tinted all around (except for windshield), it was a lot more comfortable in this high elevation 100 degree desert heat.