Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling....Oh My

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP is very much using the car, just not as much. No one needs to drive an expensive car, they can all drive junkers.

You just seem to me like you are ridiculing all Tesla owners.

Are we being too sensitive today perhaps? Lol.
I have no idea how you got the idea that I'm "ridiculing all Tesla owners".
Not using the car much = barely using it, which is OP's situation.
What's wrong with my recommending OP to look into assuming a lease from people who want out of theirs, and most are putting in cash incentive to the person assuming the lease? How does that equate to "ridiculing all Tesla owners"?

Reactions: ord3r
Are we being too sensitive today perhaps? Lol.
I have no idea how you got the idea that I'm "ridiculing all Tesla owners".
Not using the car much = barely using it, which is OP's situation.
What's wrong with my recommending OP to look into assuming a lease from people who want out of theirs, and most are putting in cash incentive to the person assuming the lease? How does that equate to "ridiculing all Tesla owners"?

It is worth repeating, again, that no one needs to drive a new car or a nice car. It doesn't matter if it is $900 a month or $9,000 a month.

There is no magic number like $400 a month that is a good number.

The OP does drive the car, and replacing it with $400 a month Camry is still too much if you are going after "unnecessary things." He should go down to $6,000 car with 100k miles if he's just going to the grocery store and back and has no life outside his little town.

Its all a personal decision, no x number is bad for everyone type thinking.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'll put it this way. I am in no rush to unload the M3. I do enjoy it 100% when I do get to drive it. I find myself making excuses to drive it like driving to Trader Joes for a carton of soy milk. It's an amazing piece of technology. It's just a bit frustrating to see it in the garage and not being used.

I appreciate all the good points brought up thus far.

If you decide that selling the car is the way to go, I highly recommend buying a used compliance EV in the meantime.

Seriously, my wife bought a 2013 Fiat 500e for $6k and they're even cheaper now. I've seen one go for as little as $4k. ~100 miles of electric range and nowhere near as boring to drive as a Toyota. We financed it and our monthly payment is under $100.

Something like that would be a nice car to hold you up while you buy another Tesla later. Of course, that's assuming you go this route.

If you decide that selling the car is the way to go, I highly recommend buying a used compliance EV in the meantime.

Seriously, my wife bought a 2013 Fiat 500e for $6k and they're even cheaper now. I've seen one go for as little as $4k. ~100 miles of electric range and nowhere near as boring to drive as a Toyota. We financed it and our monthly payment is under $100.

Something like that would be a nice car to hold you up while you buy another Tesla later. Of course, that's assuming you go this route.
I've been thinking about the exact same thing, but hadn't realizd how cheap the Fiats were!

Helpful, thanks.

OP, how much was it originally and how much rebate/tax incentives did you get on it? I'm wondering if you broke even by taking rebate/EV credit into account. Forget about the wraps, tints, etc. Those are sunk cost the moment they ran your credit card.

Sold mine in May for similar reasons and no regrets. In addition to cutting the monthly payment, I live in the city and also saved having a $400 per month garage payment and $200 per month insurance payment. Made a little money on it/possibly a wash depending how you factor in the tax credit. I just feel lighter without it and cutting expenses gives me a (possibly false) sense of control over whatever the heck is going on these days. Debating whether I want an "appliance" with no/low payment (under $15k MDX or Lexus RX) that can be parked on the street without anxiety for the time being. As soon as I leave the city (or buy a place with parking built into the mortgage payment), I'll consider getting a Y.

I'm in the same group. I have had gripes about the inconsistency of Summon ever since I had my Model 3. The 2015 Model S I had was GREAT with AP and Summon. It's so sad that we are still not on par with some of the features the early computer had.

We have a 911 for fun and the 3 now, but after 2 years of ownership I have a little equity in the car. We decided over the weekend to get rid of the 3 and get another 2015 S (85D this time) to get back into the larger car with more creature comforts - AND with a super low payment since it was under 40k this time around.

Then we're selling the 911 and getting another Aston Martin roadster. More fun and still VERY affordable. I think those cars will last us a long time. We just aren't driving as much as we used to and it doesn't seem like that's gonna change for the next year.

Good luck on your next car. I love Tesla and think they're pushing technology so fast and so well. I'll look at getting an AP 3.0 car when FSD is worked out.

My job is now 100% remote. I have a 2018 M3 midrange with EAP. I probably spent another $3,000 on things like tint, front wrap, powder coat, etc.

I financed pretty much the entire amount, probably have about $43k left. It has 25k miles.

Before COVID-19, I was driving 50 miles RT for work, and of course, using EAP. Now, I rarely drive the car and so I am paying close to $900 per month including insurance and payment.

I thought about renting it out on Turo so that I can at least keep it and drive it around on the weekends. But the thought of cleaning, taxes, and meeting random folks seems stressful.

If I do sell the car, I'll probably get a low-mileage lease car for about $400 per month, including insurance (e.g, Civic, Camry).

I know this is my own personal decision, but I would leave your perspectives.
I am retired and drive 25k miles a year just for pleasure!

I know how you feel.

I started working from home full time a few months after I had bought my Model S. Perfect timing. I keep thinking about selling too, it really is just sitting in the garage eating up $. So far I couldn't bring myself to actually do it but it 100% would be the correct decision, considering I'll be only working from home for the foreseeable future.

The only issue that may come up with yours is that I don't think you can get $43k now for a 2018 midrange so you'd probably have to pay for the difference just to get rid of it.

Back in Dec 2019 I went to trade in my 2019 June LR RWD with 20k miles for an AWD. Tesla quoted me $40k which was low-ball. I felt I could get $45-46k on a private sale. A trade in would not net you much.

The SR+ essentially replaces the mid-range at $37.9k and at $44.9k with FSD. your car has EAP and by extension FSD with upgrade to HW3 which would make your car similar.

$43k would not be a large enough discount for me to choose the used MR over a new SR+.

Last edited:
I should bite my tongue off for even mentioning this (because I hated the Bolt that I test drove) but have you looked at leasing a Bolt? At least in GA, they were offering some really great leasing deals precovid (not sure what is available now)

Ben Sullins just did a review on the Fiat that might interest you

Last edited:
  • Informative
My job is now 100% remote. I have a 2018 M3 midrange with EAP. I probably spent another $3,000 on things like tint, front wrap, powder coat, etc.

I financed pretty much the entire amount, probably have about $43k left. It has 25k miles.

Before COVID-19, I was driving 50 miles RT for work, and of course, using EAP. Now, I rarely drive the car and so I am paying close to $900 per month including insurance and payment.

I thought about renting it out on Turo so that I can at least keep it and drive it around on the weekends. But the thought of cleaning, taxes, and meeting random folks seems stressful.

If I do sell the car, I'll probably get a low-mileage lease car for about $400 per month, including insurance (e.g, Civic, Camry).

You're definitely going to have negative equity; I think the trade-in for 2018 M3 is in the $35k range for perfect condition. You can roll that into your new lease, of course, and you'd probably save a few hundred dollars per month on insurance alone.

I personally wouldn't make the trade unless you're totally fine with going back to a regular ICE car, but I also got my Tesla a few weeks ago and am driving it all of the time for fun, so I'm biased :D

Of course, you don't have to get an ICE car. My wife's car is a Ford Fusion Energi, a PHEV. It's friggin' awesome; it's what lit the fire for me to finally trade my RAM 1500 in for the Model 3 I have now. You can also find a fully-loaded one from 2018 for $20k! Insurance is super cheap too. While the EV range is tiny in comparison to your M3 (17 miles), it's perfect for the local commute and is quick to charge (2.5 hours) with a NEMA 14-50 adaper.

Last edited:

If you can afford it keep it. You never know when you may be commuting again.

Consider a longer term view. If you can afford to keep the Tesla, in the next 12 months, work life will get more hectic after the vaccines are distributed. Would you return to commuting? Would there be better opportunities? Would you need a car?

unless you have short term financial needs, flipping a car is usually a bad decision.

if you can, keep the Tesla.