Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling....Oh My

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of thing is entirely a personal decision.

For me any kind of car is more about excitement, fun, etc than about traveling for work. Even before Covid-19 my work commute was 16 miles and I could bike that easily if I really wanted to.

But, I have a P3D because its FUN.

It's not for going back and forth to work, but to go on adventures with.

Why would I want to do that with a Civic, Corolla, etc? Blah. Those are boring cars for people who want boring cars. Lots of people love boring cars, but I'm not one of them.

There also seems to be a strong belief that remote work is here to stay. I'm not sure as I'm not particularly happy with my own productivity or the productivity of my co-workers during Covid-19. I do believe some people are more productive, but I'd be really surprised if the average was. Especially those who have kids who have to do TWO jobs when their kids do remote learning. I don't envy them. That's gotta suck.

As soon as things go back to normal I'm going to go back commuting the measly 16 miles RT to work, and back so I can go back to being productive.

With 900$ a month, you can hire a lot of taxis and/or rent a car.
If I could live without owning a car, I definitely would.
Since I need one, i might as well own a nice one...

Its not 900 a month "for the rest of his life". It is only until the load is repaid, which is usually about 5 years. If he keeps the car for 10 years, he will have 5 years with $0 a month payment, plus the residual value of whatever he sells the car for at that time.

So you might reasonably compare that with $250 worth of Uber credits.

Taxis and rental cars are not a reasonable way to get around except in a metropolis, nor will they ever be cheaper than a junk car.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Its not 900 a month "for the rest of his life". It is only until the load is repaid, which is usually about 5 years. If he keeps the car for 10 years, he will have 5 years with $0 a month payment, plus the residual value of whatever he sells the car for at that time.

So you might reasonably compare that with $250 worth of Uber credits.

Taxis and rental cars are not a reasonable way to get around except in a metropolis, nor will they ever be cheaper than a junk car.
It depends how often do you need a car...

post-warranty, these cars can be quite a surprise. I'm not willing to bet on tesla, as a service company; and 4 years from now, possibly even worse.

I can simply not see owning a tesla for 10 years, given how tesla is treating customers and doing lack of quality on all fronts.

time will tell. but I'm not seeing a good trend, here, as I read the forums and see what customers are being put thru.

I didn't own a car for 11 years when living in cities with far superior public transportation before moving to Seattle. I even used it here and ubered or rented a car when going out of town but it became too annoying to do that here. I'm even happier that I no longer have to do that with covid-19 so I can reduce my exposure. I was reluctant to even buy a car in the first place and when I did I knew that it had to be:
  • Electric
  • Essentially maintenance free
  • Enough range for road trips
With that critiera, Tesla was the only car that met it. Even though I now work from home, I find myself even more thankful that I own the car because:
  • I go on aimless drives when there's nothing to do and im not spending anything on gas
  • I find it even more important to drive to a new location to walk around, go for a run, etc. after being cooped up all day
  • We usually travel internationally 1 or 2 times a year and without those options it's given us an opportunity to do some awesome (very cheap) roadtrips
I feel even more reliant on my car now for a change of scenery and to keep my sanity. Any car can achieve this to some degree but I love that I don't feel guilty about taking a "pointless" drive since I don't pollute and I don't pay for charging, win-win! ....And you can camp in it to stay even more socially distanced on road trips, if that's what you're into.

If I do sell the car, I'll probably get a low-mileage lease car for about $400 per month, including insurance (e.g, Civic, Camry).

I know this is my own personal decision, but I would leave your perspectives.
It probably doesn't make sense to pay $900/month for a car that gets little use. Tesla is currently selling 2018 M3 Mid Range models with FSD and under 10k miles for as little as $44k which means you will likely end up having to sell your car for a few thousand below what you owe. However, you can lease a new Civic with $0 down payment for around $250/month (plus taxes and insurance) so the longer term savings is still there.

My job is now 100% remote. I have a 2018 M3 midrange with EAP. I probably spent another $3,000 on things like tint, front wrap, powder coat, etc.

I financed pretty much the entire amount, probably have about $43k left. It has 25k miles.

Before COVID-19, I was driving 50 miles RT for work, and of course, using EAP. Now, I rarely drive the car and so I am paying close to $900 per month including insurance and payment.

I thought about renting it out on Turo so that I can at least keep it and drive it around on the weekends. But the thought of cleaning, taxes, and meeting random folks seems stressful.

If I do sell the car, I'll probably get a low-mileage lease car for about $400 per month, including insurance (e.g, Civic, Camry).

I know this is my own personal decision, but I would leave your perspectives.

What color paint? If you sell how much are you asking?

I’m on a medical leave of absence from work right now and most likely won’t go back for at least two more years. So we really don’t need our Tesla right now, but for our family, our Model 3 is more than just transportation, it’s a family toy.

As a family, we drive the car out into the desert on a moonless night to view the Milky Way and then we sit in the car and watch a movie together.

A Tesla can be much more than just a way to get back and forth to work.

I have driven about 100 miles in the last 4 months and have paid ~$675/mo for the privilege. Sucks to be paying so much for a car and having it sit in the garage. But these are unprecedented times and there is zero chance I'm going back to driving an ICE car. So for now I'll eat the monthly payment and hope that things get back to normal soon enough.

You are paying the majority of that towards obtaining ownership of the car, unless you are leasing. If you don't drive your car as much then it will last longer.

Everyone here is thinking about "monthly payments" and acting like they won't need the car anymore when the payments are over.

When the payments are over they'll go buy a new car b/c now they have extra money.

I think you’ll have a tough time getting $43k for it. A mid range with the white interior and FSD with less than 6,500 miles is selling from Tesla for $44k. I would think you might be more in the $39k to $40k range... and it could be less. I feel like I’ve seen some pretty low mileage mid ranges show up for less than $40k with basic AP. Depends how much EAP is to someone...

You could try to refinance though. You might be able to get as low as 2.49% for like 84 months. That could drop you to like $560/mo. That might make it affordable if you’re just trying to free up some monthly capital... and you could always pay extra to avoid interest as the opportunity allowed...

I work from home mostly now too, but I would never sell my model 3 because of it. I'm not hearing, "i really need the money" or, "I'm upgrading to a performance model". Those are the only two reasons I could understand. Are you sure you have a model 3 and not a civic?

You are paying the majority of that towards obtaining ownership of the car, unless you are leasing. If you don't drive your car as much then it will last longer.

Everyone here is thinking about "monthly payments" and acting like they won't need the car anymore when the payments are over.

When the payments are over they'll go buy a new car b/c now they have extra money.

I am in fact leasing