Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware U1000 install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
Hi- hope someone else has done this. Had a series of BlackVue dash cams die so decided to move over to Thinkware. I had made the adapter to draw power from the unused plug over the rear view mirror.

The BlackVue just needed hot and ground. The Thinkware wants ground plus both steady hot and switched hot.

What do people do? Attach both hot wires to steady hot?

I have an older ThinkWare (F750). With that model it was essential to have the switched and constant power connected.
With just the constant power connected it would always be recording, so would quickly fill the SD card, so overnight, or certainly over a weekend, earlier footage would be lost.

Just to follow up - the camera works when I use the cigarette lighter plug (as opposed to hard wiring it) which provides only for switched power. Has to be ways to wire it without needing both switched and constant power...

Well. That ended badly. Couldn't get the new Thinkware U1000 to connect to wifi / mobile hotspot. Tried and tried, different frequencies, different hotspot names, no luck... will send it back. Not clear if it stinks at wifi or I got a bad one.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell