Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row Seats Air-Conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet an attractive version could be designed, by tapping into the air at in the console, bumping up the speed with a 12V fan, and ducting it to the back through a smaller black hose, like 1".

BTW, OP, do your kids get hot with reflective film on that back window? That seems the simpler solution, provided the car starts pleasant.

I can't decide which meme should be used:

obama-not-bad-face.jpg

or

38778746.jpg

Here are some pics of our current solution. This plus good tinting seem to make it comfortable.

Purchased the 12v adapter at BestBuy. Two 15 foot USB extension cords and the two cooling fans from Amazon. The fans have little straps which are hooked to the seats aimed to blow on the backs of their necks.

I ran the USB cables under the rear floor mat and tucked into the corners of the back seats. The fans came with little USB dongles to power them.

ebetavyq.jpg

sazymady.jpg

Last edited:
Looks workable, and about what I was going to try, are the "fans" your using these or just something similar?

And how much of an effect does precooling the car on shore power have on the 3rd row?

Yes, that is what we bought.

If you lower the a/c temp enough you can cool the entire car down, but it will quickly heat up in the back again, especially if you don't have tinting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

a heavy tint has helped a lot but we have not had really hot weather yet... This really is an issue and I'm surprised Tesla didn't think it through better. the back area is too isolated from the front venting and the angle of the hatch window leads to a lot of solar exposure... adding children to a small enclosed area that heats up a lot and gets poor circulation is a recipe for serious heat stroke. heavy tint should at least be highly recommended to those getting the jump seats.