Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This CEO Thinks Tesla Is A Ford-Killer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can it survive on internal combustion trucks alone?

The term “Tesla-killer” is something we’ve seen in headlines a thousand times. Probably more. But what if the pundits have this all wrong? What if Tesla is actually the one that will be doing the killing. That’s the take of Richard Thalheimer, the founder and former CEO of The Sharper Image, a company that sells all kinds of neat doodads and gadgets you never knew you needed. He thinks traditional automakers like Ford are on their way out.

Thalheimer, like many Tesla owners — he’s owned four, so far — is pretty bullish on the company. But it’s his experience watching products get disrupted in the marketplace that informs his views on the automaker. He brings up one example:

“I remember when Sharper Image started selling the first Apple iPod. It was a revolutionary product that changed the industry, and ended the reign of Sony Walkman, though many observers and industry veterans didn’t see it coming.”

For Thalheimer, the Tesla advantages seem obvious, and he runs through a familiar list of positive attributes: instant torque, climate benefits, and the Supercharger network, which he sees as a competitive edge. He questions whether Ford, with its heavy dependence on pickups for profit, will even be around five years hence. If share prices are any indication of future expectations, then the trajectory of the Ford stock price over the past five years certainly indicates challenges ahead for the company.

One of those Thalheimer singles out for short-sightedness is Bob Lutz. The one-time Ford, Chrysler, and GM executive famously said in September that Tesla is “headed for the graveyard.” He even went as far as stating Tesla CEO Elon Musk is “a nice guy who doesn’t know how to run a car company.” We probably don’t need to remind our readers that the California company is the first new auto manufacturer in the U.S. since 1925 saw the creation of Chrysler and is now outselling any number of models from traditional nameplates.

Thalheimer isn’t the only one that sees stormy weather ahead for Ford. In a video yesterday (embedded below), Galileo Russell from Hyperchange called for Ford to buy Rivian as a way of helping to secure its future. We don’t think that is going to happen (or even a great idea), but his analysis of the Detroit company’s current business model is worth a watch. He points out that the Blue Oval is depending heavily on its F-series pickups to prop itself up and electric versions from new competitors could have a real impact on Ford’s bottom line.

While it’s too early to say whether Rivian could be that effective new competitor, the yet-to-be-revealed pickup truck from Tesla could certainly make a dent, depending on how enthusiastically it’s received. Either way, we can only hope Ford’s future electric plans include an all-electric F-150 as hinted at recently.

.embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; }

Source: Valuewalk

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smartest thing would be for Rivian to team up with Tesla, license the Supercharger network, and ask for help on production. Rivian's competitor is not Tesla.. Rivian's competitor is Ford, GMC, and Toyota. It's obvious from their product lineup and deisgn. Rivian could bury Ford, who's abandoned everything but trucks, by the end of 2019. *IF* they can scale production and charging network. That's why they need Tesla.

By the way, listen to the interview with Hackett -- I listened to the whole thing. This guy is NOT going to save Ford.. he embraces innovation, but doesn't really understand it. He just spent $100MM on electric scooters, wants smart cities, and thinks the future of Ford is in all kinds of harebrained ideas that have nothing to do with the actual future. Meanwhile, his marketing team is making fun of "nerds" and innovators, and empashizing that Ford likes to "Build" gas guzzling trucks.

Rivian + Tesla could DESTROY Ford and eat the market.

Attachments

• 4DB56121-60D6-4D40-B49E-0C57D334596D.png
    4DB56121-60D6-4D40-B49E-0C57D334596D.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 68
We probably don’t need to remind our readers that the California company is the first new auto manufacturer in the U.S. since 1925 saw the creation of Chrysler...

Not sure about this statement. Delorean Motor Company was a US automaker founded in the 70's and also based in California (although the cars themselves were actually built in Northern Ireland, it was still a U.S. automaker.)

Reactions: adaptabl
Not sure about this statement. Delorean Motor Company was a US automaker founded in the 70's and also based in California (although the cars themselves were actually built in Northern Ireland, it was still a U.S. automaker.)

I'm 50/50 on this too - Certainly, DeLorean was an American "Car" company, but (like early Tesla Roadsters) almost none of it was manufactured by DeLorean - Engine was Peugot, Chassis, as you cited was made in Ireland, etc.. I think it would be fairer to say DeLorean was an American car "Assembler". Tesla, with the Model S at least, truly became an American car manufacturer.

Smartest thing would be for Rivian to team up with Tesla, license the Supercharger network, and ask for help on production. Rivian's competitor is not Tesla.. Rivian's competitor is Ford, GMC, and Toyota. It's obvious from their product lineup and deisgn. Rivian could bury Ford, who's abandoned everything but trucks, by the end of 2019. *IF* they can scale production and charging network. That's why they need Tesla.
I can't believe no other maker has opted into the supercharger network. The value of an EV is limited without access to a high speed charging network.

I agree 100% though. Rivian and Tesla are not rivals, if they do become rivals that won't be for years. If between the two of them they put even a small dent in truck sales Ford is done.

Reactions: TechOps
I can't believe no other maker has opted into the supercharger network. The value of an EV is limited without access to a high speed charging network.

I agree 100% though. Rivian and Tesla are not rivals, if they do become rivals that won't be for years. If between the two of them they put even a small dent in truck sales Ford is done.

Because it will be too easy to duplicate once the need it there.

I'm 50/50 on this too - Certainly, DeLorean was an American "Car" company, but (like early Tesla Roadsters) almost none of it was manufactured by DeLorean - Engine was Peugot, Chassis, as you cited was made in Ireland, etc.. I think it would be fairer to say DeLorean was an American car "Assembler". Tesla, with the Model S at least, truly became an American car manufacturer.

Ok, but DMC was still an American car company. The company that built the cars in Ireland was a subsidiary. But fine, those are footnotes.

What about Tucker (1948)?

Reactions: adaptabl
Because it will be too easy to duplicate once the need it there.

Well sort of. If an automaker were willing to invest sufficient capital for the electric equipment, and buildout of charging stations (which is not cheap), they could make it happen quickly..but not that quickly. In 2014, many commercial property owners in rural areas and every suburban areas were willing to give up sections of their parking lots for Tesla to build out for free. In the last couple years, the negotiations for space have gotten a bit more contentious, with property managers wanting to put Tesla in less desirable areas, and in some cases, charge for rent.

If a newcomer had a good business development team to collaborate with the electric utility, they could make good progress. But these kind of real estate development deals are typically gated on the availability of attorneys to write up and redline contracts with each individual property owner. with Tesla's head start, it would definitely take years to catch up. 4 years? 7-9 years? depends again on how much the company is willing to invest on buildout.

Last edited:

Did you see the photos of people standing next to the Rivian pickup? It's a considerably smaller vehicle than the F150. There was a photo of Franz von Holzhausen looking at the Rivian at the auto show and it looked like even his shoulders wer above the roof line.

I like the Rivian pickup a lot. But it's the size truck that a person buys when full size pickups seem too big. That's never been a great market in the U.S.

I also think the Musk's interest in pickups is partially driven by Rivian and the funding they acquired. They are competitors.

Ok, but DMC was still an American car company. The company that built the cars in Ireland was a subsidiary. But fine, those are footnotes.

What about Tucker (1948)?

Yes, I agree they're bot American Car Companies. In many ways, I see the Tucker example as a closer match to Tesla.
Tesla managed to get to mass production and that somehow puts it in a different class of American car company in my mind - How about an * "Tesla is the first successful large scale American car company since 1925". :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight