Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This guysTesla got vandalized on Christmas Eve.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Everything about that person appears to be female. I'm an artist and I understand anatomy and movement. That doesn't look at all like a guy based on body and shoe size and movement, and this includes the hammering technique and lack of snap.

There's no much speed to those strikes, and the attacker's left hand inefficiently flails away with the phone with right foot forward during the strikes with the right hand. Anyone who can throw a baseball with efficiency and power knows to put the opposite foot forward because of the power generated through uncoiling the upper body like a spring. They would wield a hammer (against a car) the same way.

This looks like a targeted attack, not just opportunistic or random vandalism.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
That doesn't give anyone the right to vandalize a vehicle. The vandal is still a criminal.
I agree. My point being is that this is being treated as "an attack on a Tesla" as if the act was BECAUSE it was a Tesla. It isn't: it is an attack on a car (that happens to be a Tesla) that is most likely some retaliation for some other act.

It's still a criminal act (that part is obvious), but had the car been a Honda or a Ford, this story wouldn't have been news.

• Love
Reactions: mjx858
I agree. My point being is that this is being treated as "an attack on a Tesla" as if the act was BECAUSE it was a Tesla. It isn't: it is an attack on a car (that happens to be a Tesla) that is most likely some retaliation for some other act.

It's still a criminal act (that part is obvious), but had the car been a Honda or a Ford, this story wouldn't have been news.

This literally wasn't your point. You wrote; "Everyone is assuming the Tesla owner is the good guy. He may very well have slept with her sister or daughter (or son)." and I'm just reminding you (and others) that this vandalism is not an appropriate response for cheating or consensual sex which offended the perp.

Teslas have seen a higher incidence of vandalism directed toward them, and this combined with the higher visibility of these crimes due to Sentry Mode and Dash Cam are why we know about them. So, new vandalism tends to join the past incidents and we have more data to review. This attack as we've discussed in this thread appears to have been directed as retaliation of some sort.

On TMC, people seem to have a fascination with this type stuff. People rush to post accidents here that involve a tesla, that would have happened in other cars as well, as if no tesla is ever supposed to get into an accident. It also typically gets spun as if its a "tesla" thing, when its not.

Just like this post here, that is on a Canadian Tesla website, about a car that was vandalized in California, that happened to be a tesla. Somehow this is news, because it drives clicks to their website. This isnt a "Tesla" issue, but a "person vandalizes car that happens to be a Tesla" issue, but that doesnt drive clicks.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Everything about that person appears to be female. I'm an artist and I understand anatomy and movement. That doesn't look at all like a guy based on body and shoe size and movement, and this includes the hammering technique and lack of snap.

There's no much speed to those strikes, and the attacker's left hand inefficiently flails away with the phone with right foot forward during the strikes with the right hand. Anyone who can throw a baseball with efficiency and power knows to put the opposite foot forward because of the power generated through uncoiling the upper body like a spring. They would wield a hammer (against a car) the same way.

This looks like a targeted attack, not just opportunistic or random vandalism.

I found this informative, thanks for sharing. Someone whose job it is to look at (and create) art in some form that includes the human body would definitely be able to pick up on nuances that many would miss.

Reactions: Spacep0d
I found this informative, thanks for sharing. Someone whose job it is to look at (and create) art in some form that includes the human body would definitely be able to pick up on nuances that many would miss.

Thanks! I also specialized in 3D character and character animation for years so yeah we pay attention to this stuff beyond just learning anatomy (which itself takes decades) but studying human motion too. A silhouette of a character can be made to read male or female if we use normative movement patterns recognized by most people; and it's easy to convey emotions through body language in a way that's universally recognized. Body mass is conveyed the same way, along with grace/clumsiness, status (royalty vs. peasantry), humility/arrogance, etc.

We also get cues from human dimorphism, or the fact that human males and females differ in size on-average (with exceptions of course). Disney animated movies tend to wildly exaggerate this, but exaggeration is a key part of artistic expression in both look and movement. One example is to look at any female lead and the size and width of her hands (and feet) compared to heroic male characters. Huge difference.

Last edited:
Thanks! I also specialized in 3D character and character animation for years so yeah we pay attention to this stuff beyond just learning anatomy, but studying human motion too. Even a silhouette of a character can be made to read male or female if we use normative movement patterns recognized by most people to be such, and it's easy to convey emotions through body language as well in a way that's fundamentally well-recognized.

We also get cues from human dimorphism, or the fact that human males and females differ in size on-average. Disney tends to wildly exaggerate this, but exaggeration is a key part of artistic expression in both look and movement.

Im not an artist (nor did I stay in a holiday inn express last night :D ), but I happen to be super into animation, specifically japanese animation, or "anime" which I am sure you are familiar with. I have hundreds of titles. I also have pretty much every disney movie, and most animated features released in the US that arent "shovelware".

Im also into video games (the above tends to go with that, lol). All that to say, I am an avid consumer of work from people like yourself. I didnt watch the video (I wasnt interested in "a story about a person vandalizing a tesla, pretending to be a tesla story"), but am well aware that it would be possible for someone with a trained eye to determine stuff like that.

Sorry for the off topic, but I remember you saying you were an artist, so I found your take on the person informative and relevant, even though I didnt watch the video.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Im not an artist (nor did I stay in a holiday inn express last night :D ), but I happen to be super into animation, specifically japanese animation, or "anime" which I am sure you are familiar with. I have hundreds of titles. I also have pretty much every disney movie, and most animated features released in the US that arent "shovelware".

Im also into video games (the above tends to go with that, lol). All that to say, I am an avid consumer of work from people like yourself. I didnt watch the video (I wasnt interested in "a story about a person vandalizing a tesla, pretending to be a tesla story"), but am well aware that it would be possible for someone with a trained eye to determine stuff like that.

Sorry for the off topic, but I remember you saying you were an artist, so I found your take on the person informative and relevant, even though I didnt watch the video.

I appreciate that! If I were an investigator, an artist/animator is exactly who I'd hire as a consultant to determine sex (not gender) if we couldn't immediately figure it out. It seems the thread here gets it because these cues are fairly well-understood universally (even by non-human animals), but artists can simply explain things a little better in some cases.

We have to understand these things as artists because if the AD (Art Director) says, 'Make this silhouette read female' then we need to be able to do it. There are also cartoons where very big characters have dainty, precise, movements with fine motor control and it's part of the humor via contrast.

We also need to understand what a female or male looks like (all cues pointing the same direction with full control) and we need to understand what makes a male or female good-looking or less commonly 'good looking', which is something that scientifically transcends all culture. In other words, good looks are universal to humans and there's a definite science to it shaped by millions of years of evolution and sexual selection. Humans don't necessarily need to know this in their romantic overtures but artists do. This is why Minmei is so damned cute with her looks and behavior. It's how we make Roy Fokker heroic, and Rick Hunter the upstart, overconfident prodigy. :) It's how we indicate that Lisa Hayes is refined and mature beauty.

It's why a Pixar-created teen girl is often portrayed being very 'straight' up and down and has very thin limbs and narrow hips, but an attractive 'mom' (think Incredibles) is curvy and even 'thicc'. Movement follows the character's body, sex, attitude, mood, etc.

Young powerful animals (such as lions) often have exaggeratedly huge paws, because in real life their paws are quite large for their body.

I also like some animé, especially Robotech! Speed Racer is a classic that I watched as a kid as well. There are other animé I'd probably like if I sat down to watch 'em. Battleship Yamato was pretty good too but I haven't seen the entire series.

Another benefit of artist as consultant is avoiding bad tattoos. Why do people ever get bad tattoos? It's because they don't recognize bad artists OR they don't recognize where a decent artist excels (specialty) and where they fail (often, it's portraiture because it's difficult). Good artists see this immediately and would never hire a bad artist to draw on them with permanent ink. One way to avoid this is to vet a tattoo artist's work with a really good artist who can speak freely about their skill level. :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: byeLT4