Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This guysTesla got vandalized on Christmas Eve.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not an artist, though I wish I could paint, but most of us have a good sense of what does or doesn't look to be female. For some reason, lack of breasts, it doesn't look like a woman to me, though I suppose it could be a young girl. Though, I didn't think the person ran away like a girl, but more like a boy. Anywhooo.... I wonder if we'll ever find out.

I'm not an artist, though I wish I could paint, but most of us have a good sense of what does or doesn't look to be female. For some reason, lack of breasts, it doesn't look like a woman to me, though I suppose it could be a young girl. Though, I didn't think the person ran away like a girl, but more like a boy. Anywhooo.... I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Sure, breasts are obvious, but can you describe the muscle insertion points of the female vs. male calf? How about the differences in clavicle curvature or supraorbital ridge projection? :D An artist has to know all of these subtle differences and much more. :D Not all women have large or prominent breasts, of course.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Sure, breasts are obvious, but can you describe the muscle insertion points of the female vs. male calf? How about the differences in clavicle curvature or super orbital ridge projection? :D An artist has to know all of these subtle differences and much more. :D Not all women have large or prominent breasts, of course.
LOL, all I know is that I played alot of sports, and still coach so I'm used to looking at how young people move; and as I originally noted, the Perp does not swing the hammer in an athletic manner. It's clear the Perp has never thrown a baseball. I look more at movement than actual physical characteristics. Nothing about the way the Perp moves screams to me that it's a female. In fact, the way the Perp runs makes me think it's an unathletic boy. The relatively long stride and the way the Perp's heels come up just doesn't look like how the average girl would run.

It was either a girl or Steven Seagal.

steven-seagal.gif

LOL, all I know is that I played alot of sports, and still coach so I'm used to looking at how young people move; and as I originally noted, the Perp does not swing the hammer in an athletic manner. It's clear the Perp has never thrown a baseball. I look more at movement than actual physical characteristics. Nothing about the way the Perp moves screams to me that it's a female. In fact, the way the Perp runs makes me think it's an unathletic boy. The relatively long stride and the way the Perp's heels come up just doesn't look like how the average girl would run.

The run cycle movement is less clear as a case could be made either way, but what are the odds of a dude being that small (extreme outlier) and wielding a hammer so badly with a mobile phone in left hand (which has nothing to do with the goal at-hand). A guy intent on this behavior would generally not have a phone in the left hand which detracts from the task. The wrong foot is forward too. So, odds are that this is a female, and I don't see the run as particularly male here for someone who is probably young (between 16 and 26).

The viral Twisted Tea video shows how much snap and speed guys generally have with a strike, and this perp couldn't even break a window with a hammer. Smaller athletic guys would generate even more speed, usually at the cost of power (watch UFC weight divisions to see this in action). However, speed is power too. This is why proper technique generates so much better results when throwing, striking with hammers, etc.

Too bad we don't have a way to find out who the perp is to vindicate our data analysis!

My first thought was this person was afraid of the flying glass so had the same foot forward to reflexively turn their body away.
My second thought was they were effeminate, though more by motion than shape.
Hope the owner get the car fixed like new, everyone gets what they deserve but then can move on.

The run cycle movement is less clear as a case could be made either way, but what are the odds of a dude being that small (extreme outlier) and wielding a hammer so badly with a mobile phone in left hand (which has nothing to do with the goal at-hand). A guy intent on this behavior would generally not have a phone in the left hand which detracts from the task. The wrong foot is forward too. So, odds are that this is a female, and I don't see the run as particularly male here for someone who is probably young (between 16 and 26).

The viral Twisted Tea video shows how much snap and speed guys generally have with a strike, and this perp couldn't even break a window with a hammer. Smaller athletic guys would generate even more speed, usually at the cost of power (watch UFC weight divisions to see this in action). However, speed is power too. This is why proper technique generates so much better results when throwing, striking with hammers, etc.

Too bad we don't have a way to find out who the perp is to vindicate our data analysis!
Didn't someone already point out that this location is near an Asian neighborhood? So, small, non-athletic, young Asian dude is not some extreme outlier. It's fairly common.

Didn't someone already point out that this location is near an Asian neighborhood? So, small, non-athletic, young Asian dude is not some extreme outlier. It's fairly common.

Even given that, odds are that it's an Asian female considering this and the other data we have. I knew about this when assessing the perp though, but I was simply analyzing the individual's size, behavior, and motion.

Even given that, odds are that it's an Asian female considering this and the other data we have. I knew about this when assessing the perp though, but I was simply analyzing the individual's size, behavior, and motion.
Fair enough. Let’s look at the three criteria you mention:
Size - if Asian, could be either male, female or anything in-between.
Behavior - far more likely to be a boy when it comes to vandalism.
Motion - indeterminate, but many here think it’s a girl.
Doesn’t really seem all that clear one way or the other.

Fair enough. Let’s look at the three criteria you mention:
Size - if Asian, could be either male, female or anything in-between.
Behavior - far more likely to be a boy when it comes to vandalism.
Motion - indeterminate, but many here think it’s a girl.
Doesn’t really seem all that clear one way or the other.

Size: In a community with a high incidence of Asian residents, there's still a far higher likelihood that the perp is female because Asians still have human dimorphism between males and females where males still skew a good bit larger. Assuming male would be the exception, not the rule. Given the person's size, I think the safer bet is female. This isn't just size but body proportions too.

Behavior and Motion, not indeterminate at all if you understand how men and women differ in their movement, snap, speed, fast-twitch muscles, self-selected activities, etc. The perp is far more likely to be female based on inefficient striking, lack of 'snap' in upper body strength, poor hammer technique, holding a phone in left hand (not singled focused on task as males tend to be), wrong foot forward, failure to break window with hammer. Granted, some exceptional males would exhibit this form, but far more females would fit this criteria.

It's the same way we could sample 1000 females and males and see who throws a baseball more efficiently and farther. There would be exceptional males and females but the males would generally do better here because more have a self-selected interested in activities which involve throwing. This prediction could easily be tested and demonstrated. People have their various ideologies and arguments for why this disparity exists, but the only relevant fact is that it does exist.

Now, this could all be wrong if the person is an extreme outlier, but if we're going on patterns of human behavior and dimorphism understood from huge observed sample sizes then the *odds* are that the perp is female. Arguing the rule here, not the exception. For all we know this very small male purposely acted like a female to throw observers off the scent. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

We'd be far better situated to infer that the perp is female than to double down on exceptionalism.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
As vandals go, super considerate to keep it to pretty much just the driver’s side door. They could have taken out 5 or 6 separate panels in that same time. I’d give them 3 out of 10 for effectiveness but 8 out of 10 for being ballsy enough to do it while someone in the house happened to to recording them.

I’m not an artist but I’d go out on a limb and say human for sure.

I’d give them 3 out of 10 for effectiveness but 8 out of 10 for being ballsy enough to do it while someone in the house happened to to recording them.

I’m not an artist but I’d go out on a limb and say human for sure.
Point #1: Video is somebody's recording of a Ring video playback; aka, a video of a video. In other words, most likely nobody was actually laying eyeballs on the perp while he/she attacked the car. Point #2: I'd say that the perp is inhuman to do something like this.

Size: In a community with a high incidence of Asian residents, there's still a far higher likelihood that the perp is female because Asians still have human dimorphism between males and females where males still skew a good bit larger. Assuming male would be the exception, not the rule. Given the person's size, I think the safer bet is female. This isn't just size but body proportions too.

Behavior and Motion, not indeterminate at all if you understand how men and women differ in their movement, snap, speed, fast-twitch muscles, self-selected activities, etc. The perp is far more likely to be female based on inefficient striking, lack of 'snap' in upper body strength, poor hammer technique, holding a phone in left hand (not singled focused on task as males tend to be), wrong foot forward, failure to break window with hammer. Granted, some exceptional males would exhibit this form, but far more females would fit this criteria.

It's the same way we could sample 1000 females and males and see who throws a baseball more efficiently and farther. There would be exceptional males and females but the males would generally do better here because more have a self-selected interested in activities which involve throwing. This prediction could easily be tested and demonstrated. People have their various ideologies and arguments for why this disparity exists, but the only relevant fact is that it does exist.

Now, this could all be wrong if the person is an extreme outlier, but if we're going on patterns of human behavior and dimorphism understood from huge observed sample sizes then the *odds* are that the perp is female. Arguing the rule here, not the exception. For all we know this very small male purposely acted like a female to throw observers off the scent. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

We'd be far better situated to infer that the perp is female than to double down on exceptionalism.
LOL, you can't infer anything about a person's sex from size, without knowing the person's age.

A non-athletic boy can look just as clumsy hitting the car as a girl. You can't draw any conclusions from that.

As for throwing a baseball, sampling random males and females is not the correct group. You should sample non-athletes who've never thrown a baseball. Amongst that group, I'd bet you'd find lots of males are equally atrocious as females. Have you seen people throw out ceremonial pitches before? Not every boy plays Little League baseball anymore.

And while you want to argue that we shouldn't look for physical outliers, you conveniently ignore that statistics show that the vast majority of vandalism is done by males.

I know you've already stated the running stride is indeterminate, but I think you should look at it some more. It's a long stride, with a prominent heel strike. This person runs like a boy. And, I don't know why you think this person is 14 to 26yrs old. They'd have to be under the age of 18, more like 14 to 16yrs old. Do you really think this could be a flat-chested girl at 26? LOL!

Point #1: Video is somebody's recording of a Ring video playback; aka, a video of a video. In other words, most likely nobody was actually laying eyeballs on the perp while he/she attacked the car. Point #2: I'd say that the perp is inhuman to do something like this.

...but the video is wobbly and it tracks to follow them. Didn’t feel like I was watching a fixed camera unless it was a recording the the video playing on a screen or something.

...but the video is wobbly and it tracks to follow them. Didn’t feel like I was watching a fixed camera unless it was a recording the the video playing on a screen or something.
Exactly. They are using a smartphone to record the video being played from a Ring camera recording. You can see a portion of the Ring.com watermark suddenly appear in the upper left of the frame when the camera pans left to follow the perp:

screen_capture.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, you can't infer anything about a person's sex from size, without knowing the person's age.

A non-athletic boy can look just as clumsy hitting the car as a girl. You can't draw any conclusions from that.

As for throwing a baseball, sampling random males and females is not the correct group. You should sample non-athletes who've never thrown a baseball. Amongst that group, I'd bet you'd find lots of males are equally atrocious as females. Have you seen people throw out ceremonial pitches before? Not every boy plays Little League baseball anymore.

And while you want to argue that we shouldn't look for physical outliers, you conveniently ignore that statistics show that the vast majority of vandalism is done by males.

I know you've already stated the running stride is indeterminate, but I think you should look at it some more. It's a long stride, with a prominent heel strike. This person runs like a boy. And, I don't know why you think this person is 14 to 26yrs old. They'd have to be under the age of 18, more like 14 to 16yrs old. Do you really think this could be a flat-chested girl at 26? LOL!

Your argument is almost entirely exceptionalism. Sure, it could be a boy (notice how you switch between boy and man as convenient) but how many boys are dressing up in ninja outfits and hitting Tesla Model Ys with a hammer like this? This would presume the boy was driven there by someone else if they're below driving age but this is why I thought the perp was at least driving age.

Odds are that the perpetrator doesn't want to be found out (hence the outfit) and got to the location on their own. Also, even non-athletic boys would have a more male-typical hammer swing.

It's not just about little league but throwing anything. You'd still find a difference among a random, sufficiently large sample size between boys and girls when it comes to both throwing and hammering.

Males are more single-focused when it comes to tasks, so why would one hold a cell phone whilst vandalizing a vehicle? That's a female-typical behavior. Have you seen the size of female key chains compared to males? They also tend to carry a lot more stuff generally...phones, purse, water bottle where males seem to be a bit more minimalist in what they carry. This doesn't absolutely rule out a male but I'm going on the cues I see here combined with the rest of the data.

Ceremonial pitches are probably not the best way to assess differences among male/female throwing/hammering ability in the same age range. The very worst pitches have been females (Kourtney Kardashian being a shining example), but it's obvious that a random sampling of males vs. females in the same age group would show a difference in throwing ability due to self-selected activities as kids.

Yes, males commit more violent crime and more vandalism, but THIS perp (featured in the video) appears to be decidedly female. That's my take on it.

I don't see why a female couldn't run well, especially if she's young. It's not a sprint, and sprinters wouldn't be running on their heels. I don't think the run cycle is as compelling in either direction. Could be male or female.

Sure, it could be a flat-chested female. They do exist, especially if she's very petite. Or, it's a male who has no idea how to swing a hammer. Then again, these were quick strikes but I thought that it was very female typical to have the wrong foot forward (no torso whip) and to have the cell phone in left hand (which detracts from the activity). Also, why isn't the phone in a pocket? Most guys would stow the phone before doing something like this.

The reason I can judge size is because this type of criminal act is a little more sophisticated and planned, and the person got to the location somehow. Why would a kid want to hammer the vehicle owned by an adult in this obviously premeditated fashion? I suspect adult because adults commit more crimes like this, but adults have problems which might cause this kind of reaction; lover's quarrels, breakups, cheating, someone not paying child-support, etc.

This is why I think the minimum age is high school age, probably over 16. And, do you think some kid is going to ride a bicycle to the crime scene in full ninja outfit with hammer and cell phone, especially if they don't seem to be using a pocket to stow the phone? It's likelier that this is an adult committing this crime, thus it's a small adult and thus more likely female (especially given the form). If the area has a high incidence of Asian citizens then it's not unusual to find petite Asian females, far more likely than a male would be that small and committing vandalism as seen in the video.

Either way, that's just my assessment of it. I'm not sure where this is going to go as it seems we've been through all of the available data quite thoroughly. We may have to agree to disagree here.

Last edited: