Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This new UI sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I like is colored icons

I hate this new UI
-You'd have to honk to save dash cam (or go through opening the car settings to hit the recording), there's a lot of instances where I just want to save some footage without having to do some random honking...bring back dash cam saving to the main screen AND actually make the icon bigger would've been a +
-Way too many screen touches just to get ac/heat/fan to your liking, gg that dam touch sliding for fan control
-You have to go into car settings to get to the trips/odo page & tire pressure page...more coordinating touching and more distraction
-The map direction (direction of car, north, or full trip view) is hidden away now and you have to touch the map screen to wake it up
-The side camera video on signaling should pop up to fill the full map section of screen...it popping up at the small section on the lower right screen is just not a spot where you even see much of anything

IDK, I hate this new UI and wish I can revert back and maybe just keep the colored icons (The only thing I hated about the old UI was the bland gray icons, which always made it hard and unintuitive for me to find the phone icon)

There's plenty of room on the screen that a lot of every day use items could fit, but Tesla has now tucked them away and made it even more of a distraction to get to them when needed

also, forgot to add, that switching "user/driver" setting got tucked away too

and adding on (since it's winter and even in humid weather)...window defroster and defogger SHOULDN'T BE TUCKED AWAY in AC controls (rear window defroster usually turns off after some time, so the icon being where you can see it, would help more than before you notice that your rear window defroster is off is when it's already fogged back up)

People want/need less touching to get things done, not more screen touches

The compass (map direction) on my Model 3 is always visible on the 15 inch screen, you may just need to adjust the
map settings. That said, I thought it was interesting that the app for Tesla theater, toy box, Netflix etc is present at the bottom
of the screen yet none of those games or entertainment can be used while the car is in motion. But, more often used items do not
appear on the main screen and are multiple taps away.

I’m trying to be patient before I weigh in. It is difficult.
I tried to love it too, I even told myself that I'll get used to where the items have been moved (glovebox eluded me for a moment), etc...

but lost patience when I'm driving and I want to turn on/off something "essential" that used to be a look and touch action (that peripheral vision was sufficient enough for) that has now turned into a look, touch, look, touch action...

The only thing I like is colored icons

I hate this new UI
-You'd have to honk to save dash cam (or go through opening the car settings to hit the recording), there's a lot of instances where I just want to save some footage without having to do some random honking...bring back dash cam saving to the main screen AND actually make the icon bigger would've been a +
-Way too many screen touches just to get ac/heat/fan to your liking, gg that dam touch sliding for fan control
-You have to go into car settings to get to the trips/odo page & tire pressure page...more coordinating touching and more distraction
-The map direction (direction of car, north, or full trip view) is hidden away now and you have to touch the map screen to wake it up
-The side camera video on signaling should pop up to fill the full map section of screen...it popping up at the small section on the lower right screen is just not a spot where you even see much of anything

IDK, I hate this new UI and wish I can revert back and maybe just keep the colored icons (The only thing I hated about the old UI was the bland gray icons, which always made it hard and unintuitive for me to find the phone icon)

There's plenty of room on the screen that a lot of every day use items could fit, but Tesla has now tucked them away and made it even more of a distraction to get to them when needed
OR they’re pushing everyone to use the voice commands more so there’s actually less distraction.

I’ve read some other complaints about the dash cam for saving footage all the time without honking the horn… I gotta ask, what the heck is everyone doing with all this footage? What is the extreme need? I think you can add it as an app at the bottom if the need to go all Karen on someone and publically shame them on social media for bad driving is that big of a deal. Maybe I’m missing something here, sorry if I am, but I see plenty of terrible drivers in South Florida to care about recording and reliving the experience. I think the honk is just fine for potential accident situations. And again, can you use a voice command to “record clip” for the same purpose?

Tapping the map for a feature that is set once and left on seems like a smart move to clean up the map and have less clutter.

Side camera - all you’re looking for is if there’s a car there or not, the big screen would be overkill.

I think it will grow on you, but yes, being use to something and then having it changed on you can be really frustrating.

OR they’re pushing everyone to use the voice commands more so there’s actually less distraction.

I’ve read some other complaints about the dash cam for saving footage all the time without honking the horn… I gotta ask, what the heck is everyone doing with all this footage? What is the extreme need? I think you can add it as an app at the bottom if the need to go all Karen on someone and publically shame them on social media for bad driving is that big of a deal. Maybe I’m missing something here, sorry if I am, but I see plenty of terrible drivers in South Florida to care about recording and reliving the experience. I think the honk is just fine for potential accident situations. And again, can you use a voice command to “record clip” for the same purpose?

Tapping the map for a feature that is set once and left on seems like a smart move to clean up the map and have less clutter.

Side camera - all you’re looking for is if there’s a car there or not, the big screen would be overkill.

I think it will grow on you, but yes, being use to something and then having it changed on you can be really frustrating.
voice is a hit or miss, even google still has issues even though it has much much better and more complicated voice interactions

and I hate speaking to inanimate programming that get things wrong at least 25% of the time or pick up every noise as some kind of command.

Voice commands only work if you speak fluent English and/or do not have an accent. Voice should always be secondary. Buttons should be primary.
This is how it improves, exactly why it should be used more. Look, I never use it really… but will try to start using it more and see how much it can actually do. Remember, Tesla is collecting ALL of this usage data. Im sure they’ll add some things back in and make some adjustments just like they did with v10.

We own 2 teslas, me and my wife hate the multiple taps to get to things when before it took one tap, heated seats/select profile/tire pressure/trip energy usage/music.... this is nuts, how in the world did someone come up with this dumb ass interface. I would gladly go back to the old interface, and Im very open to learning/getting used to new things but this is beyond stupidity what they did... This software went backward a whole lot of steps for me and is a big disappointment. Really hoping they let us customize everything

The UI just updated in Jan 2022 is an abomination!!!!

1. Capability has been grouped by function rather than importance or frequency of use.
2. Too many functions are hidden.
3. The attempt to group functions is a fail! The similar functions are not too similar.
4. Turning on functions sucks. For instance. Putting wipers into a specific mode without turning the wipers on is at best hidden or gone altogether. Who can tell.

All in all it really sucks big time.