Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like how several people here are oohing a aahing over its "function over form" design, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what function this awful design helps accommodate. It doesn't even look that aerodynamic. Car design got away from sharp edges for a reason.

The sharp edges all have to do with using stainless steel body panels and keeping the costs down. The body of that truck will be way more durability than a standard truck. But to form large sheets of stainless steel into traditional shapes is nearly impossible or would be extremely expensive.

So the trade off is durability over aesthetics. You won't have to worry about scratching paint, dropping a tool and denting a body panel, or someone backing into your truck. Go look at normal work trucks driving around and they have scratches and dents all over the place. However as people have pointed out, it may be very expensive to repair after a crash. Hard to know for sure.

I woke up this morning, checked my facebook feed, and this truck is being absolutely shredded by friends and family back in Texas. And almost all of them don't follow Tesla. That's how bad Tesla screwed up. The negative word of mouth this truck is generating is astonishing.

If Tesla doesn't do a significant redesign I'm afraid this may sink the company. Don't kid yourselves, the specs of this truck will not be it's redeeming factor to average truck owners. They're not going to be caught dead going to sunday church in this thing.

Wow. Just wow. What an utterly bad call.

Yup. It's comical how some people are actually talking themselves into this debacle. I'm still in a little bit of shock about just how bad this is.

Seriously, who's getting fired over that glass break....totally thrown them in their presenation....
Hanz should've worked on his change up a little more before the unveil.. that or someone changed out the bearing with a real steel one LOL.

What I can't believe is Elon told him to try again after the first crack.. Really? Talk about Hubris. 2/2!!!

If you are a doomsday prepper....Would fit right in a MadMax movie
I was actually intrigued by the bullet proof panels and hardened glass for just that reason... until the glass fail. SMH

Why? because look at how Teslas are attacked by haters every day... Then you have the antifa types that will attack ANYONE with something nice (including their own).. Having a truck that can be resilient to a mob throwing stuff at you was a attractive to me... I would even be willing to overlook the ugly if it was tough enough to withstand a mob trying to kill you. Especially with the 240 plug in the bed for a panel back-feed to the house... But obviously it still needs work

You'd have to get to Level 3 on the bullet resistance to make any inroads with people really worried about security. This is optimistically Level 1. My guess is the video he showed was not a jacketed round.
  • Level 1: Refers to bullet resistant glass able to withstand fire from small caliber handguns. It must be able to resist a minimum of three 9mm FMJs traveling at a minimum velocity of 1,175 feet per second (f/s)
  • Level 2: Defines bullet resistant glass designed to withstand fire from larger caliber handguns. It must withstand at least three shots of .357 magnum soft points traveling at a velocity of 1,250f/s.
  • Level 3: Refers to bullet resistant glass that can withstand a minimum of three shots of .44 magnum rounds at a velocity of 1350f/s.
  • Level 4: Represents a step-up in terms of ballistics resistance. It defines bullet resistant glass that can withstand at least one shot from a .30 caliber rifle with a minimum velocity of 2540f/s.
  • Level 5: Covers bulletproof glass designated to withstand at least one 7.62mm rifle FMJ with a velocity of at least 2750f/s.
  • Level 6: Is a direct improvement on Level 1, designed to withstand at least five 9mm rounds traveling at an elevated minimum velocity of 1400f/s.
  • Level 7: Defines bullet resistant glass designed to withstand multiple hits with 5.56 rifle FMJs with a minimum velocity of 3080f/s.
  • Level 8: Designates the highest level of protection available in bullet resistant glass. This level is tested to withstand at least five shots from a 7.62mm rifle.
exactly

First post here, thinking about getting a M3, but not a Tesla guy...

This looks no more like a Pontiac Aztek than any of the current crop of slant back German SUV’s, i.e. only in the loosest possible way at a very high-level with the silhouette, so let’s put that one to bed.

Not being able to fit a 5th wheel...doesn’t matter to most truck buyers now since they’re not buying trucks with / capable of it, so let’s put that one to bed too.

“This is going to take down Tesla”...nope. They still can’t even produce enough vehicles to meet demand, and presumably didn’t spend a huge amount on R&D for this thing.

So what are we left with? An out-there design with great specs for a pickup. Will it sell with everyone? No. Other than the really high bed, does it have all the practicality and more that 90% of buyers need? Absolutely.

Personally I think the design is really cool...like a truck FROM the future, rather than a futuristic truck like the Rivan. I do prefer the render (MS paint edit) with the roof and box more more traditional, but this thing is so crazy it’s awesome.

The difference is the iPhone was good looking and did amazing ground breaking things. This just looks like they took a Tesla drivetrain and over a few weekends cobbled some stainless steel sheetmetal panels over it with zero attempt at making it look desirable. One big problem with the stainless is it can’t be straightened, filled and repainted because there isn’t paint, the big reason it isn’t used on cars and trucks. Although if you were going to drive something that looks like this in the first place why would you care what it looks like with dents so why worry about using dent resistant materials?

Many did not see the potential of the iPhone upon release. Regardless of how “amazing” it looked.

Ford headquarters w/ special guests from Rivian and Jeff Bezos at moment of Cyber Truck Reveal...
InyDIUb3AGfnrX7rLGJwdzR4iAXl1M7qFqz462luLhwAtmIAm89HpEUv6sVb6HTLcdymIKOntRrPUUpr0a_RAqRAsacgOJ1Mf12qEhpRGbuJSbYjbgTNgvo4KmT6lCTqWC4QglANuW0NZEC588SOZF1TvI4R4SlXYePbaCSgr4vVn6ble0jeoGQidJjGfmJhi3G08Kd162snEyHC996dFN4c9dY2nPUP4XsMRqg6V3zOQGTnzVrd3g2MorVJw-4bdf9gg2AebScijQjKo04V9QS2e4yodgh2FAdg39iWEsRbWjIyQQVgjBHFmF7GLKtNXD8BOMvu2FVN6sAFntN_xxghrOhaET75N-S-uNhhtwjuRHJiyeaySzwWJFGVtGXFwV8qmZ24_jhCHxqbtjpLPECw77Ih5DOiSlk2MGYJna2AOKDamDjIKGsZtV6tvCheXqiAjka_XW_UyoPF-IlkHxE9hTM73i5dSt-QK_mEDWlw-ajh5kon8_5DXs4CfmA5H3lLFHpn__F8xATwblEWqFVbYxSvvSshHxRfQNtdLXuXJ25W8eyZxjQpYfElp1jHkGHN9P4L_Q5FNJanilShxwsbAtqxFQAWGbc6pC82nfKkbqKB4D7eXyXfLrTC0ZFso7ZRnu5fYmmSWin-0mmVytzBl-lc_VA4O1MBphA37g9sCrt1CQ-taPdj_BALG3t7kfeBSGUPxlc5Tk3SsnmiuT-9iB4qY4gtmZdyqHLciUFGDdET=w882-h342-no

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-22_9-37-28.png
    upload_2019-11-22_9-37-28.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 43
Personally I think the design is really cool...like a truck FROM the future, rather than a futuristic truck like the Rivan.

I think this is a great way to put it!

I think a decent comparison to this (in theory, but opposite spectrum) is the Toyota FJ Cruiser, which I currently own. That thing came out and was so retro and unique and everyone hated it. Shortly after, it grew on people, and now I get so many compliments on it and how people wish they bought one before they discontinued them.

I initially thought it was a joke and that the outside was just cheap panels that would be removed to show the real truck. Everyone's opinion is different, but that thing is probably the ugliest car I've ever seen. Was planning on buying it, but I don't think I can unless I somehow go blind and autopilot gets FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig