Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bwahahahaha you ended up being sooooo wrong.
I don't care how great the specs and price are, nobody is going to buy this ugly POS! And don't pickups have beds or some amount of cargo carrying capacity? My Dad used to haul home a ton of gravel in his 1976 Chevy camper special, and it'd be my job to shovel it all out onto the driveway. How can that even happen in this "Cybertruck"?

And Franz swung that sledgehammer like a wuss. Let me take a crack at denting that door!

250K deposits announced today, by EM. Live long and prosper.

This design is for We the People, not Detroit or their Board Rooms or shareholders. Stock bounced back up on Monday.

It's gonna be just fine...

You may be right, and I hope you are.

Regarding the deposits, considering the fact that they're only $100 and that production is probably at least 2 years away, I'd guess a rather low percentage of these will result in actual sales. Which doesn't mean that the Cybertruck won't sell well, just that these deposits themselves don't really mean much. They're just no risk impulse decisions.

I am very certain that Tesla is not concerned about conservative farmers who live in the past. Tesla truck is designed for fleets, cop shops, military, the young, football players and drug dealers. To me, it is a mad man Batmobile and I couldn’t order fast enough.

so for classification purposes which of the above are you? Dang I don’t really match any of these descriptions. Just a balding, getting fat gut urban weekend warrior dad type.

Reactions: c.ross3
...Which doesn't mean that the Cybertruck won't sell well, just that these deposits themselves don't really mean much. They're just no risk impulse decisions.

And Tesla just had someone else pay to give them a 250K marketing list for all their products plus so much free advertising on all media that the launch, even flawed or maybe because it was flawed, was worth every penny. Talking heads running clip after clip of a CT pulling an F150 while talking about Tesla!

Reactions: Electruck
My wife is pushing to get one. We have no real need for it. She likes the idea of camping with it, says we can sleep in the back. In reality we can sleep fine in our Model 3. I say it's too big to park anywhere. She says so what. I don't really know why, but she switched from wanting a used Model X to wanting the (cheaper) single motor Cybertruck. Go figure.

Go rent her an oversized truck, and make her drive it everyday, if she has never had a long, large vehicle, she should be cured soon. Have her try to make a few U turns, try to find a parallel parking place you can fit in, then park it, let her run the back wheels over the curb just trying to make a regular trun. Tell her if she wants it it's her daily driver not yours. I have been driving large trucks for 45 yrs, I am very good at it. I bought my S so I don't have to drive them unless need to its a PITA.

And in Europe, it would be doubly nerve-racking.

I for one am never going to attempt to navigate a Swiss drive-thru with a big American car again.

But a smaller Cybertruck expressly tailored to local conditions would be popular, I think.

Go rent her an oversized truck, and make her drive it everyday, if she has never had a long, large vehicle, she should be cured soon. Have her try to make a few U turns, try to find a parallel parking place you can fit in, then park it, let her run the back wheels over the curb just trying to make a regular trun.

Thanks, all that is worth saying, though a lot of good logic does. On the making turns argument, though, I suspect that Cybertruck turns on a dime.

You may be right, and I hope you are.

Regarding the deposits, considering the fact that they're only $100 and that production is probably at least 2 years away, I'd guess a rather low percentage of these will result in actual sales. Which doesn't mean that the Cybertruck won't sell well, just that these deposits themselves don't really mean much. They're just no risk impulse decisions.

Yes, and no. Over 250K people have made a commitment, they took the time to go through the ordering process and they are now through the door at Tesla. Many will cancel as we know, because the economy is in the crapper. Others shall change their entire lifestyle to complete the purchase process with new $$savings; it is a goal with great optimism and fun in it. They have been waiting for something like this goofy product, and here it is. Step beyond the BladeRunneresque look, and see it's real, and touchable.

The design has so much built into it, that Detroit was holding back on, that it blows Detroit right out of the water. Detroit no longer has any carrots to hold out, BUT everybody knew they were holding out. I don't think these were impulse decisions.

The "future" has been here in sci-fi for many decades. People want something more than GM's 28mpg BS, and Tesla is stepping up to that plate with a grand slam. Yes, the design will change and morph a little but as Tesla history shows us the end product has always been better than the protos.. It's no joke.

Reactions: PACEMD
This does blow Big Auto out of the water.

Elon is now in a more stable position and is radical enough to where he could say Screw It, let's do something completely new. If it doesn't sell, well we have our other lines. This attitude is reflected in the ridiculously low deposit. He was tentative and a bit uncertain (dare I say insecure?) in the reveal, uncharacteristic, going from the past.

As a thought exercise let's take away the 'indestructability' factor, the torque, the electric drive, and the bling options. Would it have been a success then? Seems not. This is reaching people on a deeper level than design, meeting unmet, unrespected, or unrecognized needs.

Clearly they hedged by saying there could be a smaller model, which I suspicion would have been a potential replacement if this one flops. The lonnng wheelbase is the main problem I see.

But if it does sell, wow the golden touch again. He has single-handedly changed the direction of the cement-shoe Big Auto, and gave some hope for relief from Global Warming. Will there be a more influential person with the resources and good judgment to do these things, in the next 50 years? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, anyone who would place real money betting that Tesla will not sell as many of these Cybertrucks as they can make? With people in line for years waiting to buy, just like all other lines they have introduced? Seriously? Tesla has so many vehicles sitting on lots they just can't sell, right? This first truck is not a truck for all purposes imaginable and it may not be your bendable curvy sexy fantasy but it's a pretty damn good buy for what it is. It's not going to put Ford out of business but it's going to hurt them. I have no doubt it will outperform the fu*k out of an F150, but that's not saying much........

Reactions: bedoig
Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, anyone who would place real money betting that Tesla will not sell as many of these Cybertrucks as they can make? With people in line for years waiting to buy, just like all other lines they have introduced? Seriously? Tesla has so many vehicles sitting on lots they just can't sell, right? This first truck is not a truck for all purposes imaginable and it may not be your bendable curvy sexy fantasy but it's a pretty damn good buy for what it is. It's not going to put Ford out of business but it's going to hurt them. I have no doubt it will outperform the fu*k out of an F150, but that's not saying much........
Where were you two weeks ago?

This reminds me of those who are now vigorously waving the "MAGA" flag, with Trump bumper sitckers and Trump signs in their windows... when during the primaries they completely discounted Trump. Hell, I went to the Republican Caucus specifically to vote FOR Trump, as a little bit of rat-fscking since everyone else thought he was a joke. They even suspected that this was what I was doing. I was the only vote for him there, lol.

I don't have any respect for tribalism for tribalism's sake. I remember, what happened...

Well, where we live in an old Chevy town (GM factory bull dozed away), the now deserted shopping mall parking lot is being used for big 3 overflow; it's full of brand new GM, Ford, and Dodge products. Already deeply discounted the overflow is now FULL. All their respective lots are full of new trucks they cannot sell. People shall wait for better. It's in the streets and parking lots already.

There's more Teslas around here than Chevy products, and these GM retirees get deep discounts!?!

Reactions: PACEMD
Where were you two weeks ago?

This reminds me of those who are now vigorously waving the "MAGA" flag, with Trump bumper sitckers and Trump signs in their windows... when during the primaries they completely discounted Trump. Hell, I went to the Republican Caucus specifically to vote FOR Trump, as a little bit of rat-fscking since everyone else thought he was a joke. They even suspected that this was what I was doing. I was the only vote for him there, lol.

I don't have any respect for tribalism for tribalism's sake. I remember, what happened...

I have no idea what that means but if you're suggesting I'm a Trump supporter you are barking way up the wrong tree.........I lived in New York City for way too long not to rake the forest for the trees........a joke's only a joke if the intended audience doesn't get it........

Last edited: