Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
still trying to figure out what I am looking at. I like the idea of the onboard, air and onboard power, but I can't picture hauling my toyhauler out to the dunes in this thing.

Then again, how will electric trucks be able to charge while pulling a toyhauler or a 5th wheel?

I think you'll see more pull through charging spots like at Kettleman City and few others like it I've seen photos of where Xs pulling trailers are charging. When Model 3 here stateside gets their towing hook and more on the road, sure the charging stations will be updated where possible.

Tesla Super Charging Stations... where else? Charge it and come back home to power my refrig and lights.
In the event of a power outage, you might have to drive 50 to 80 miles to charge, but in such an emergency I guess that would work. But you would have to reserve enough SOC to go back for another charge since you couldn't know how long the outage would last.

I’m seriously concerned about the rear seat headroom and the practical ability to work out of it.

It’s as if no one involved in the design worked out of a pick up/talked to folks who had.

(And I own work trucks, and we were considering getting Tesla ones once I heard about the 500 mile range.)

One of the videos in the thread on Videos of the Test Drive that was started, had someone in the back seat commenting he had no problem with head room there. Might want to check out the thread.
Videos of Test Ride in Cybertruck

I honestly thought Elon was just messing with people to throw them off. I even thought the couple of "photos" they released were just like super close ups of one of the headlights or running boards, just to mess with people. Never thought they'd actually release something as hideous as this.

Yes may very well be true but I don’t think this was geared towards so much building contractors in certain fields. Just not built for it from what I can tell. But sure it will the bill for many others.

You may have a point there. Maybe Tesla figured that they may as well concede the working pickup market to Ford, who already dominate there, and go after the family market instead.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
I appreciate the wild imagination and attempt to be cutting edge, but it's the proportions and detailing that seems crude. The roofline sloping down creating a pointy top seems to be the worst aspect - think Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk from the 90s.

I think they could have taken the same edgy design language and honed the details to add a little visual aggressiveness. My quick, crude photoshopped fixes attached (After and Before images):

1-Truck_Kevin-Perera.jpg
2-Truck_Tesla.jpg
3-Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-in-Motion-on-Road-Course-2Kevin_Perera.jpg
4-Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-in-Motion-on-Road-Course-2Before.jpg

Form is going to take some getting used to, but this looks totally like some of the futuristic crazy vehicles we see in sci-fi movies.

Function is checking all the boxes for me. I love the dent resistant panels. No paint to chip, no rock chip damage to worry about. Nothing to rust. Damn. If they had an 8' bed I would be all over this.

Reactions: 365gtb4
You may have a point there. Maybe Tesla figured that they may as well concede the working pickup market to Ford, who already dominate there, and go after the family market instead.

You know Rivan's pickup truck doesn't impress me as being geared towards segments of the contruction, etc business world, more like family/leisure usage. In fact I'd say for those in the working group looking for an EV pickup and more in fitting with the vehicles space, the Cybertruck in body and window glass etc would be a better fit and offer what sounds like it better protection for their tools. I see reports of tool theft from construction vehicles all the time in our police blotter and those are Fords and Chevys.

Reactions: SO16
I appreciate the wild imagination and attempt to be cutting edge, but it's the proportions and detailing that seems crude. The roofline sloping down creating a pointy top seems to be the worst aspect - think Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk from the 90s.

I think they could have taken the same edgy design language and honed the details to add a little visual aggressiveness. My quick, crude photoshopped fixes attached (After and Before images):

View attachment 480181 View attachment 480182 View attachment 480183 View attachment 480184

Your roof design won't allow the bed's cover to slide up into the roof. Very cool feature they added IMO. The sliding cover there allows a lot of possibilities for storage and content protection without having to add some hardtop cover for the back. Supposedly this was in the design works for 7 years and I'm sure it's been well thought out.

In the second part of your design, what's on the bumper area? The current headlight config on the Test drive vehicles seemed to do just fine for lighting. Fog lights on the bottom. Everything you add has a physical cost to it to the company/bottom line as well and to get to the price point they are aiming for, anything not needed for function is superfluous.

Last edited:
You know Rivan's pickup truck doesn't impress me as being geared towards segments of the contruction, etc business world, more like family/leisure usage. In fact I'd say for those in the working group looking for an EV pickup and more in fitting with the vehicles space, the Cybertruck in body and window glass etc would be a better fit and offer what sounds like it better protection for their tools. I see reports of tool theft from construction vehicles all the time in our police blotter and those are Fords and Chevys.
You are so right about Rivian. It is simply and only a luxury "adventure vehicle" with a very short bed and a price that few tradesmen could afford.
Ford's electric pickup will undoubtedly be of fairly conventional body and bed design dropped onto a Rivian skateboard and is likely to be as well thought out as the Mach-E, but with tradesmen and fleets as its target market.