Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts After a Week Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gave up my M3 and have been driving my 2017 silver 75D for about a week now and here's what I can say about it. Curious how it relates to others' experiences ...

What I love:
  • Ride quality is awesome. Not too stiff, not too soft, just right. And quiet.
  • Handling is awesome. I don't miss my M3 one bit -- which is saying a lot.
  • Acceleration is off the charts. Everything that's been written about how fast it takes off is indeed true. Makes it really fun to drive. (Though I recommend a radar detector.)
  • The touchscreen is as advertised -- easy to see, intuitive, and for me, not distracting at all. I've found that getting out the full-screen Navigation back to the "home" screen can be tricky -- but a minor complaint. Love how big the backup camera appears -- making it so very easy to use.
  • The sunroof -- it's bigger than most. Love it.
  • Charging overnight in my garage. Full "tank of gas" every day. Very nice.
What I don't like at all:
  • The seats. Two issues for me: I ordered "multi-pattern black seats" thinking (perhaps naively) that they were leather -- after all, it's what you expect after writing a check for 90k. Web site doesn't say they're textile -- which, in my view, is misleading -- and there's no way to tell from the thumbnail image. And the only cars I saw in the showroom and test drove had leather. So I was surprised to say the least. To be clear, they look great and will probably wear better than leather. But their texture is very stiff and coarse -- which I find very uncomfortable. The other issue is the wings or bolsters or whatever you call them. On my M3 they could be adjusted in and out. On the 75D they can't. So until I lose 15 pounds, they're going to feel on the tight side.
  • Left leg legroom. So what I'm finding is that the driver's side area for your left leg has a shape that essentially forces you to keep your leg straight. There's no place to put your foot if you want to spread your leg to the left. That may be better for my posture and it's entirely possible that I'll get used to it, but for now I find myself wishing I could put my foot in a place where it simply cannot go.
Verdict is still out:
  • Front window visibility -- reminds me of my old Saabs in a way. And ironically it's the diametrical opposite of the Model X which one of the most amazing front windows. Most of the time I don't think about it -- but occasionally find myself wishing there was a higher view out the front.
  • Fit and finish -- the doors take a little more oomph to fully close than I would've expected. I think some minor adjustment will fix the issue; I'll know next week.
  • Navigation software. I'm waiting for the day when Waze will be fully integrated.
  • Auto Pilot -- haven't paid for it yet :) Keep getting tempted ... then keep holding off. What's nice is I can go to MyTesla, push a button and boom -- 6K later -- be using Auto Pilot.
  • HomeLink works intermittently. I'm thinking because it locks on GPS coordinates to recognize when it's within range. Who knows. But I've had to reprogram it several times.
All in all, very happy with my purchase. Just wish I could do something about the seats.

FWIW I think you did well by “accidentally” ordering textile seats. They look cool, wear well, and will hold you in place during spirited driving. With the cancellation of perforated, vented leather seats, I don’t think the available vegan material (although I hear nothing but praise) is worth the $3300 upcharge (US).

As a fellow performance junkie I’m glad to hear that the 75D compares well with the vaunted M3! Did you get the 19” or 21” staggered wheels?

Reactions: Saimaannorppa
Went for the 19". Winters are brutal where I live -- which makes for a lot of potholes and other dangers to my tires.

Re: the seats -- if the fabric were softer and less "abrasive" feeling I'd feel very differently.

Everything you mentioned is and was exactly how I felt after the first week of driving my Model S. The seats will take a lot of break in time, but I can assure you that after about 3 months of sitting in them they sort of soften up and the bolsters seem to flex backwards a bit. They do take a lot of getting used to though.

Gave up my M3 and have been driving my 2017 silver 75D for about a week now and here's what I can say about it. Curious how it relates to others' experiences ...

What I love:
  • Ride quality is awesome. Not too stiff, not too soft, just right. And quiet.
  • Handling is awesome. I don't miss my M3 one bit -- which is saying a lot.
  • Acceleration is off the charts. Everything that's been written about how fast it takes off is indeed true. Makes it really fun to drive. (Though I recommend a radar detector.)
  • The touchscreen is as advertised -- easy to see, intuitive, and for me, not distracting at all. I've found that getting out the full-screen Navigation back to the "home" screen can be tricky -- but a minor complaint. Love how big the backup camera appears -- making it so very easy to use.
  • The sunroof -- it's bigger than most. Love it.
  • Charging overnight in my garage. Full "tank of gas" every day. Very nice.
  • The seats. Two issues for me: I ordered "multi-pattern black seats" thinking (perhaps naively) that they were leather -- after all, it's what you expect after writing a check for 90k. Web site doesn't say they're textile -- which, in my view, is misleading -- and there's no way to tell from the thumbnail image. And the only cars I saw in the showroom and test drove had leather. So I was surprised to say the least. To be clear, they look great and will probably wear better than leather. But their texture is very stiff and coarse -- which I find very uncomfortable. The other issue is the wings or bolsters or whatever you call them. On my M3 they could be adjusted in and out. On the 75D they can't. So until I lose 15 pounds, they're going to feel on the tight side.
  • Left leg legroom. So what I'm finding is that the driver's side area for your left leg has a shape that essentially forces you to keep your leg straight. There's no place to put your foot if you want to spread your leg to the left. That may be better for my posture and it's entirely possible that I'll get used to it, but for now I find myself wishing I could put my foot in a place where it simply cannot go.
Verdict is still out:
  • Front window visibility -- reminds me of my old Saabs in a way. And ironically it's the diametrical opposite of the Model X which one of the most amazing front windows. Most of the time I don't think about it -- but occasionally find myself wishing there was a higher view out the front.
  • Fit and finish -- the doors take a little more oomph to fully close than I would've expected. I think some minor adjustment will fix the issue; I'll know next week.
  • Navigation software. I'm waiting for the day when Waze will be fully integrated.
  • Auto Pilot -- haven't paid for it yet :) Keep getting tempted ... then keep holding off. What's nice is I can go to MyTesla, push a button and boom -- 6K later -- be using Auto Pilot.
  • HomeLink works intermittently. I'm thinking because it locks on GPS coordinates to recognize when it's within range. Who knows. But I've had to reprogram it several times.
All in all, very happy with my purchase. Just wish I could do something about the seats.

What is the “home screen”, in your mind? I don’t believe the UI has a standard single home screen.

I go back and forth between a BMW and a Tesla and I agree with your observations about the driving experience and the seats. Tesla is just not in the same ballpark yet when it comes to interior fit and finish and seat comfort. I'll take the BMW seats with 21 directions of adjustments any day, but the Tesla is not uncomfortable and it's still my favorite long distance road trip car. I don't have the new Tesla seats though, so they don't fit me as tightly.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I actually prefer BMW's iDrive for the control interface. They have the right mix of buttons to get things done quickly by touch vs. flipping through screens which is more distracting on the Tesla. If Tesla added the row of eight user programmable buttons right below the touch screen to allow quick accesss to options, then I think they would take a step in the right direction. I'd like to be able to press one button quickly to raise the suspension when I approach an unexpectedly steep driveway etc. without messing with several taps on the screen. Even user programmable buttons on the screen would be nice, but the physical buttons are always easier to use by touch.

I've got the old HID headlights on the Tesla which are supposed to be better than the LED's, but neither is close to the BMW LED's (especially with glare free high beams activated).

Went for the 19".
Good move on the 19's. The 21's look better but too much hassle in my opinion.
Add me to the BMW fan list. It was between a 535i and the S over a year ago for me. Once I test drove the S I forgot why I even looked at a BMW :)
I do love BMW's, though I think of them as my past, not future cars.

Good write up for a weeks worth of driving. I remember being somewhat uncomfortable with the seats (leather) for the first month or two. At some point I guess my body adjusted because I love them now. :confused:

Navigation software. I'm waiting for the day when Waze will be fully integrated.
There have been many conversations about this but doesn't look promising.
Auto Pilot
Get it! Lay off the EAP for now though. Once you start using it you will wonder how you did w/o it

Reactions: DrivingRockies
which m3 did you have? e90/92? I'm coming from e46 m3. just sold mine a few weeks ago (and waiting for my 75d). congrats and where's the pix?
i remember after test driving the ms and drove my m3 home, it literally felt slow so i knew the model 3 won't work for me (which i'm still currently in reserve for).

btw is homelink automatic? so no need to press a button because it knows where home is?

Worst worst case scenario is...if you still are not liking the multi-patterns, you could reupholster and convert them to leather. I would think it would be less than $3,300 which is what the leather option cost to begin with. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet and it is going to come with multi-patterns and so this is kind of my thinking.

Reactions: calisnow
FWIW I think you did well by “accidentally” ordering textile seats. They look cool, wear well, and will hold you in place during spirited driving. With the cancellation of perforated, vented leather seats, I don’t think the available vegan material (although I hear nothing but praise) is worth the $3300 upcharge (US).

As a fellow performance junkie I’m glad to hear that the 75D compares well with the vaunted M3! Did you get the 19” or 21” staggered wheels?

I have both. F80 M3. and the new perf S75.

M3 is much more nimble, has much more power post 80 mph. From 0-60, the Tesla will crush the M3.

If performance driving is highest on criteria, the M3 is more enjoyable. I love blipping down the throttle (I have DCT) and pulling out of the corner in the meat of the power band. The 6 cylinder twin turbo on the M3 is an engineering masterpiece. Really can't ask for more out of an ice motor.

Thats not to say the Tesla isn't fun, it's just different. I am in love with the instant torque. I think for me, if the Model S was slightly smaller, and had slightly more oversteer characteristic, my enjoyment level would be much higher.

Reactions: DIL and CalBlue 85D
Everything you mentioned is and was exactly how I felt after the first week of driving my Model S. The seats will take a lot of break in time, but I can assure you that after about 3 months of sitting in them they sort of soften up and the bolsters seem to flex backwards a bit. They do take a lot of getting used to though.
Thanks - that’s reassuring to know. I’ll have to tough it out.

I go back and forth between a BMW and a Tesla and I agree with your observations about the driving experience and the seats. Tesla is just not in the same ballpark yet when it comes to interior fit and finish and seat comfort. I'll take the BMW seats with 21 directions of adjustments any day, but the Tesla is not uncomfortable and it's still my favorite long distance road trip car. I don't have the new Tesla seats though, so they don't fit me as tightly.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I actually prefer BMW's iDrive for the control interface. They have the right mix of buttons to get things done quickly by touch vs. flipping through screens which is more distracting on the Tesla. If Tesla added the row of eight user programmable buttons right below the touch screen to allow quick accesss to options, then I think they would take a step in the right direction. I'd like to be able to press one button quickly to raise the suspension when I approach an unexpectedly steep driveway etc. without messing with several taps on the screen. Even user programmable buttons on the screen would be nice, but the physical buttons are always easier to use by touch.

I've got the old HID headlights on the Tesla which are supposed to be better than the LED's, but neither is close to the BMW LED's (especially with glare free high beams activated).
Thoughts around programmable buttons are good - would be a welcome addition. Worth noting that I’ve found the voice commands to work pretty well.

Good move on the 19's. The 21's look better but too much hassle in my opinion.
Add me to the BMW fan list. It was between a 535i and the S over a year ago for me. Once I test drove the S I forgot why I even looked at a BMW :)
I do love BMW's, though I think of them as my past, not future cars.

Good write up for a weeks worth of driving. I remember being somewhat uncomfortable with the seats (leather) for the first month or two. At some point I guess my body adjusted because I love them now. :confused:

There have been many conversations about this but doesn't look promising.

Get it! Lay off the EAP for now though. Once you start using it you will wonder how you did w/o it
I bit the bullet and bought it yesterday before a long drive. Gotta say, the traffic aware cruise control is fantastic. Use it more than EAP. But definitely a great add.

Reactions: calisnow
which m3 did you have? e90/92? I'm coming from e46 m3. just sold mine a few weeks ago (and waiting for my 75d). congrats and where's the pix?
i remember after test driving the ms and drove my m3 home, it literally felt slow so i knew the model 3 won't work for me (which i'm still currently in reserve for).

btw is homelink automatic? so no need to press a button because it knows where home is?
I had E92 and two others before that, was a big fan though enjoying the 75d more. Funny thing is, my neighbor used to hear me leave my house every morning with the growl of the M3 engine. The tesla is the diametrical opposite and so he thought I stopped working :)

I’ll post image tomorrow.

Worst worst case scenario is...if you still are not liking the multi-patterns, you could reupholster and convert them to leather. I would think it would be less than $3,300 which is what the leather option cost to begin with. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet and it is going to come with multi-patterns and so this is kind of my thinking.
Where does one go to reupholster?

Well put.
I have both. F80 M3. and the new perf S75.

M3 is much more nimble, has much more power post 80 mph. From 0-60, the Tesla will crush the M3.

If performance driving is highest on criteria, the M3 is more enjoyable. I love blipping down the throttle (I have DCT) and pulling out of the corner in the meat of the power band. The 6 cylinder twin turbo on the M3 is an engineering masterpiece. Really can't ask for more out of an ice motor.

Thats not to say the Tesla isn't fun, it's just different. I am in love with the instant torque. I think for me, if the Model S was slightly smaller, and had slightly more oversteer characteristic, my enjoyment level would be much higher.
Well put. M3 is a different kind of fun. Both are great. For me, at the end of the day, the rocket torque wins the day for the kind of highway driving I do on a daily basis these days.

Yes - you can set it to automatically close your garage when you leave and have it open automatically as you approach it. I think it needs to be within 5-15 feet.