Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on buying a new Model S today

Should I buy a new Model S?

• Life is short - buy a new current generation today!!!

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Buy the Next Generation - it will be worth it.

Votes: 48 52.7%
  • Wait and buy certified used. Prices are about to drop once the Next Gen is released.

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • "Don't ever buy a new car." - Warren Buffett

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I have zero understanding for the people complaining about a Model S losing resale value. This is not an investment. It's the price for a good used daily (if you want), and for a tool.

Who did not take into consideration that future models would be better yet cheaper made a mistake.

At least some of it can be blamed on all of the chatter (blogs, forums, etc.) and press playing up the "high resale value" of the MS years ago. I think some people buying these cars new three or four years ago had unrealistic resale expectations because of that.

At least some of it can be blamed on all of the chatter (blogs, forums, etc.) and press playing up the "high resale value" of the MS years ago. I think some people buying these cars new three or four years ago had unrealistic resale expectations because of that.

... and even with all the emerging technology pressures the resale value is still no worse than the typical german luxury ICE competitors.

Reactions: 46&2
I think some people buying these cars new three or four years ago had unrealistic resale expectations because of that.
Yes. This can be one of the factors why some made the mistake. Still, it's a mistake (assuming higher than normal resale values).

Not that it matters, you save a lot running the car vs. an ICE (at least here, were people have to pay for gas ;) )...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I would argue that they have depreciated quite a bit. A 2017 MS 100D with no extra cost options would've stickered for around $95,200 or $87,700 after deducting $7,500 federal tax credit. A car like that today with 48k miles (12k/year) would be worth maybe half that number wholesale. What has happened is that new MS prices have come down so much over the years that it LOOKS like the MS hasn't depreciated much, but it has.

Valid point. I had not factored in that Tesla was discounting the Model S over the years.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I picked up my 2021 LR+ mid dec and not going to lie its hurts a bit that a refreshed model is right around the corner. However along with that refresh there will also be price increases, considering how much I paid for my LR+ its an absolute steal of a deal and its a really solid car. The biggest thing that I will miss is the refreshed looks, but with the money I saved I can put it back into the car and it make it one of a kind too! Basically if the budget allows for it, obviously go for the refreshed model if not find a LR+ take that and you wont regret it.

Unless the Model S is further discounted, or the refresh keeps the current price (both doubtful), I think you've done well for yourself! Congrats on the ride!

• Love
Reactions: pabla
We placed an order for the X and S earlier in January. The rep told me that if the refresh is minor, they would just do it and get the cars to us. If there is anything major or cosmetic that may make us not want the cars, they would give us that option to decline. Either way, they stated our price is locked in. We show a 3/2-3/30 delivery. Luckily, the SC is about 10 minutes from my house.

Is that like saying which is wetter - a glass of water or a cup of water?
51hq-uGL1IL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Will the refreshed Model S have the new paint process that the new Giga factories are getting? It is supposed to be much better than the regular paint jobs.

I will buy the new Model S (Extended range) after I sell my 2015 S85 that has 21K miles. Will try to sell in March when it gets warmer here. My wife of 41 years has vetoed Plaid version as she does not care for the fast acceleration.

JFYI they won't honor the price. I've gone back and forth for several days now despite placing my LR+ order on 10/19. They will offer $2k discount on the refresh and that's it. Say goodbye to hoping for that bargain. My price specifically went from $82k to $96k.

JFYI they won't honor the price. I've gone back and forth for several days now despite placing my LR+ order on 10/19. They will offer $2k discount on the refresh and that's it. Say goodbye to hoping for that bargain. My price specifically went from $82k to $96k.

Yup, got the call from Tesla offering a $2000 discount. I declined it.

If you read the language of the Order Agreement, it does give Tesla the right to change the price if they stopped production or the vehicle changes AFTER the Order Agreement is in place. In this case Tesla knew PRIOR to the Order Agreement that they did not have inventory and did not plan to produce the vehicle in the Order Agreement. Tesla knowingly allowed the public to place orders and take their money on a vehicle they had no intention of delivering.

This is literally a Bate and Switch. Just like a sleezy dealership.

I’ll see what the market is like in 2022 as this is a luxury purchase, definitely not a need. My target is to purchase a used 100D for $50k.

Can we just refuse delivery when the car arrives? What if the steering wheel is just nuts?
Ran through this scenario with my rep & he indicated that is an option BUT I'd lose $100 deposit & the $2,000 pricing adjustment for having my order in before the refresh is announced. No mention of a "blacklist" for another order initiated shortly after refusing delivery.

Ran through this scenario with my rep & he indicated that is an option BUT I'd lose $100 deposit & the $2,000 pricing adjustment for having my order in before the refresh is announced. No mention of a "blacklist" for another order initiated shortly after refusing delivery.

Have they given you an ETA on your refreshed Model S delivery?

I would be interested in your feedback as to how it compares to the "older" Model S

Placed an order for the refreshed Model S (Long Range) last week. My order form tells me that I should get it 10-12 weeks. That is a long wait.
I had seen a report that Tesla had few of the refreshed Model S ready for shipping but they pulled it back as they wanted to do some "tweaking". Any ideas as to what is the holdup?