Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can get everyone on board with the weirdness, it's an incredibly good tool for the job. Flexible, large inside but midsize (under 200" long) outside, with access to home charging it's a really compelling product when you look at what you can get for the price. The doors are really, really nice for curbside loading and unloading because you can just about fit a couch through the opening it's so huge. The front trunk is where I put groceries most of the time, and a full cart fits in there no problem, or you can fit a full cart of groceries under the trunk floor. You can fit a stroller under the trunk floor, or on its side, etc. If child seats are an issue, the second row is not super great for leg room but getting kids buckled and unbuckled while *standing up*, with a sun/rain shade over your head, is also pretty great.

But it is weird, and it is a Tesla, and both of those things have some big drawbacks if you aren't willing to forgive them, so I'd recommend Turo for a week before you buy. And of course, access to home charging is key. Having a gas station at home in your garage (or at your street parking orwhatever you have) is the only thing that makes EV's make sense, to me anyway.

One thing, if you're in a truly urban environment, it's not a small vehicle, and it's a pretty wide vehicle in particular. If parking the thing is a potential issue, or just fitting it down a lane of traffic depending on how urban we're talking about in europe for instance, that may be an issue

Last edited:
One thing, if you're in a truly urban environment, it's not a small vehicle, and it's a pretty wide vehicle in particular. If parking the thing is a potential issue, or just fitting it down a lane of traffic depending on how urban we're talking about in europe for instance, that may be an issue
^ THIS.
Parking in the urban settings I interface with is all street parking that is more or less playing bumper cars.

Reactions: MikeChicago
I live in the suburbs but when I go downtown to urban areas I get nervous with opening the falcon wing door on the driver side when parked on the street as they are not very fast at opening or closing and worry someone driving by could hit the door before it closed. Also the front doors with the power mechanism, it fights you sometimes so it’s not as quick to open the door and jump in or out of the car as it is when an old school manual door with a big manual handle. Just a second or two longer but when parallel parked on a busy city street it can feel like forever.

The key Love/hate issue for the Model X is the Falcon Wing Doors. If your kids are young, they can be great as they provide great access for car seats and boosters. If kids are older, then the slowness of doors opening can be annoying, especially when you have to re-open because you forgot something. Another issue with the FWD is the extra height/space required to open. If you have a tight garage with low ceiling clearance, then the doors may only partially open.

Honestly get it because you want an X. The biggest fastest coolest EV. If you want practical get a Y. The acceleration shudder is annoying. Tire wear sucks ( it’s 6000 pounds and goes like a bat outta hell),

If were were a family of 4 there are lots of things I’d spend the leftover money on if I got a Y.

It seriously parks like a truck. My minivan is so much easier to get into a tight space.

It’s super fun and my 7 year old X still turns heads.

when I go downtown to urban areas I get nervous with opening the falcon wing door on the driver side when parked on the street as they are not very fast at opening or closing and worry someone driving by could hit the door before it closed.
I think about the same. When I park my X on the street whether I am in downtown or not? If/when I have passenger, I usually instruct my passenger to get out from the other door, just to be on the safe side. But, I do this on any car that I had before, not just my model X. Really come down to everyone safety.