Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Pickup Truck Beds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are thinking of the wheel well intrusions the wrong way. In the Cybertruck, the entire bed appears to be as narrower than the wheels. So you are losing space. Probably around 50 to 55 inches wide. Easy enough to confirm with the math. If the entire truck is 79 inches wide, and each wheel/tire takes up about 12 inches, that leaves you with about 55 inches between the wheels.

In regards to carrying 12' lumber in a 6.5' bed, just toss it in hanging over the tailgate with the tailgate up. Throw a strap over it so it doesn't slide around side to side and add a red flag on the end if you want to be technically legal.
That is not legal in my state. If it overhangs by 18" or more you are getting a ticket.

Additional for washington state: (7) Fenders: All wheels of a motor vehicle must be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface.

View attachment 481870 View attachment 481871

Tesla would have to put a ridiculously wide flare over an already wide truck. and does a flare count as a fender?? I dunno. I think those wheels are moving in
The wifey is definitely not going to be able maneuver my CT then. 😛😆 Haha

While I like having a topper as an option, I do NOT see a topper on very many trucks in total around the country. And seeing that there are currently 1.2 million reservations, I’m sure all of the popular topper and outdoor brands (you know who they are) will jump on the CT buyers on any niches that are created by the generalized and not perfect for every buyer design.
Of course, if you don’t see an option. . Design one and become a solution to that market of buyer. 🤓

Of course, one option is to constantly ask Elon on Twitter. Seems to work every other time. 😛😎

Reactions: dhrivnak
Is there a thread discussing bed features like ProPower on the Lightning? Anything less will be a big disappointment and probably less than what the new Chevy truck will bring. Spartan is fine in the interior but I need this do be pretty functional. A big bed only does so much for me. I don’t mind if it’s not standard as long as I can order one with 240/110v outlets and compressor in the bed.n And they have to be functional like a Lightning. The Rivian is a joke. The compressor is not powerful enough to run real power tools and the outlets very under powered.

Now You Know youtube did a comparison video that was very informative. One of the hosts is a contractor and they did tests with lots of tools!

Maybe soon the Lightening will have two 220 volt outlets. You could run a large welder and a 220 volt air compressor. You wouldn't have to unplug one to use the other one both could just stay plugged in. I wonder the range loss you could incur running a Welder or large Air Compressor out on a Job Site? F150 Mobile Welding Truck sounds like it could be a winner. There is a Rancher down the road from me that has a setup like this on his Truck. Wonder if you could setup the Lightening like this
photo-1.jpg

Reactions: Cal1
That is not legal in my state. If it overhangs by 18" or more you are getting a ticket.
I'm not sure that's correct. Most states allow for up to 3-4' over the back with a red flag. 18" is usually without a red flag. I would suggesting double checking. My state for example can have 3' over the front and 4' over the rear. If the reported 231" length is correct you're looking at being able to carry something 26' long if you extend over front and back.

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't see it if so. Do we know what the final bed length will be? There was discussion of a 6'5" bed for quite some time, but I don't know if that is what has come to pass. I'd consider that a minimum acceptable length for a pickup. Many new trucks with a ~5' bed are kind of a joke for those that actually use a truck to do "truck stuff".

Other question concerns the loading ramp integral with the tailgate we saw in the prototype. This would be a great thing, especially for those with ATVs or dirt bikes, or even just moving a lawnmower or other piece of outdoor equipment. I haven't seen anything on the protos or "RCs" showing a ramp, I'm assuming it went away.

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't see it if so. Do we know what the final bed length will be? There was discussion of a 6'5" bed for quite some time, but I don't know if that is what has come to pass. I'd consider that a minimum acceptable length for a pickup. Many new trucks with a ~5' bed are kind of a joke for those that actually use a truck to do "truck stuff".

Other question concerns the loading ramp integral with the tailgate we saw in the prototype. This would be a great thing, especially for those with ATVs or dirt bikes, or even just moving a lawnmower or other piece of outdoor equipment. I haven't seen anything on the protos or "RCs" showing a ramp, I'm assuming it went away.
Ramp is not present in the RC models.

"Leaked" specs from yesterday:
Overall length: 18.6 feet
Overall width (no mirrors): 79.9"
Overall height (medium setting): 70.5"
Wheelbase: 143"
curb weights2 motor 6,670 Ibs 3 motor 6,890 lbs
Tow rating 11,000lbs
Max tongue: 1,110lbs
Bed length length 72.8"
Bed Width: 51"
Frunk volume 7.1 cubic feet
Weight capacity of frunk 420lbs
Headroom front 41.6" rear 39"
Legroom 41" front 40.9" rear
Shoulder room 63" front 62" rear
Hip room front/rear 57.2"
No outlets in front,
Rear outlets 110v x 2 220v x 1 (see pic below)

Tow rating 11,000lbs
Bed length length 72.8"
No outlets in front,
Thanks, that's a bit disappointing. IMO they made a mistake trying to make it small enough to fit in a small "suburban" garage. No other quad-cab pickup does, not sure it would turn off anyone here. The smaller size DOES. Bed is narrower than any normal, full size pickup (except between the wheelwells). At least you can still get a 4x sheet product in it. I'm hoping they come out with a long-bed version as an option at some point, but it would be a big change.

Tow rating 11,000lbs
Bed length length 72.8"
No outlets in front,
Also, according to Greggertruck, the bed floor is about 5'5" due to the slope on thr back wall where the tonneau rolls up. So about the same usable space in the bed as a Lightning.

Thanks, that's a bit disappointing. IMO they made a mistake trying to make it small enough to fit in a small "suburban" garage. No other quad-cab pickup does, not sure it would turn off anyone here. The smaller size DOES. Bed is narrower than any normal, full size pickup (except between the wheelwells). At least you can still get a 4x sheet product in it. I'm hoping they come out with a long-bed version as an option at some point, but it would be a big change.
And as long as the bed is 49" wide one can easily fit plywood in there. It is very rare one needs more than 49" of width.

Do you have a source that Tesla's objective was to fit the CT in a small suburban garage? First time I've ever heard of this. Everything I've seen posted in the past couple of years is the CT will definitely not fit in the average garage.

Elon has said it, twice.

They decreased the size to fit in a 20' garage.
At the unveiling the CT was already less than 20 feet.
My recollection of what Elon meant is different. Did he have another post specific to fitting in a suburban garage?

Elon CT Length.png

Elon Musk says he wants to make a new Tesla truck smaller than the forthcoming Cybertruck

Let's assume they reduced the CT by a few inches. Do you actually believe that matters in the big picture? That isn't going to have much if any impact on who ends up buying a CT. Where I live it's pretty unusual for anyone to park their pick up truck in the garage. I cannot think of anyone in my neighborhood that does but then again I live in an older neighborhood. Sometimes I'll see trucks parked in garages in other neighborhoods but those are single cab trucks. Big difference.

Last edited:
At the unveiling the CT was already less than 20 feet.
My recollection of what Elon meant is different. Did he have another post specific to fitting in a suburban garage?

View attachment 991634

Elon Musk says he wants to make a new Tesla truck smaller than the forthcoming Cybertruck

Let's assume they reduced the CT by a few inches. Do you actually believe that matters in the big picture? That isn't going to have much if any impact on who ends up buying a CT. Where I live it's pretty unusual for anyone to park their pick up truck in the garage. I cannot think of anyone in my neighborhood that does but then again I live in an older neighborhood. Sometimes I'll see trucks parked in garages in other neighborhoods but those are single cab trucks. Big difference.
Elon said specifically they made it smaller to fit in a garage. The smaller size means smaller cab, bed, and frunk.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Elon said specifically they made it smaller to fit in a garage. The smaller size means smaller cab, bed, and frunk.
Well reducing the overall size by 7-8" was pretty much a fail then as far as fitting into a suburban garage. What changed his mind since he stated that his discussion with Franz indicated they wouldn't be able to make any significant changes? Perhaps 3%. Do you have a source please.