Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thoughts on Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far so good…70 mph down the highway at 50 degrees
That's pretty good. How does the overall efficiency compare to the previous tire you had on the model 3?

Also how's the braking grip? My biggest gripe with the MXM4s is the lack of grip under braking, they howl early and ABS engages quite easily even on dry pavement, not very confidence inspiring for the times when emergency full power braking is required.

That's pretty good. How does the overall efficiency compare to the previous tire you had on the model 3?

Also how's the braking grip? My biggest gripe with the MXM4s is the lack of grip under braking, they howl early and ABS engages quite easily even on dry pavement, not very confidence inspiring for the times when emergency full power braking is required.

Well I’ve only had the pzeros for 120 miles but I’ve averaged so far 245wh/mi keeping it at the speed limit. Previous combined average is 310 Wh/mi… about 2k miles on the stock 20in tires and rims and 10k miles on some 18 in rims with snow tires and mixed driving habits.

I haven’t braked hard but using regen they seem firmly planted…I haven’t accelerated hard either yet

from my experience (and after a few thousand miles) on the P Zero Elects vs. Michelin MXM4s ....

efficiency: slightly better than the Michelins

road noise: slightly better than the Michelins

comfort: about the same

braking/ handling: slightly better / about the same

overall a great tire and with Pirelli 50k wear warranty and less noise/ better efficiency at lower costs/tire... no brainer imho

Maybe I am one of the few that is not impressed with the P Zero Elect...

I replaced the notorious Hankook Kinergy GT(OEM) at 8,500 miles (7/32) with Elect today at America's tire.
Overall car is slightly quieter and the ride quality is slightly better but nothing to write home about.

To give more detail about the noise, I used iPhone 13's built-in mic with "dB Meter" app, placed the phone at the same location, and went through my usual 30 miles route with a mix of local, freeway, broken and good pavement, at the same speed, and both tires clocked the same Max dB at 85, while Hankook has slightly lower Avg compared to P Zero (73 vs 74)

In terms of efficiency, Elect is around 245 mi/Wh while Kinergy constantly stays around/below 235 mi/Wh but I know you can not compare new vs worn tires when it comes to efficiency.

I believe the P Zero might handle better but it is difficult for me to justify the $1,100 cost to put on marginally quieter/comfy tires, I am going to call America's tires and see if I can return the Elects (I still keep my Kinergy just in case)

Just my 2 cents...

I replaced the notorious Hankook Kinergy GT(OEM) at 8,500 miles (7/32) with Elect today at America's tire.
Overall car is slightly quieter and the ride quality is slightly better but nothing to write home about.

To give more detail about the noise, I used iPhone 13's built-in mic with "dB Meter" app, placed the phone at the same location, and went through my usual 30 miles route with a mix of local, freeway, broken and good pavement, at the same speed, and both tires clocked the same Max dB at 85, while Hankook has slightly lower Avg compared to P Zero (73 vs 74)

In terms of efficiency, Elect is around 245 mi/Wh while Kinergy constantly stays around/below 235 mi/Wh but I know you can not compare new vs worn tires when it comes to efficiency.

I believe the P Zero might handle better but it is difficult for me to justify the $1,100 cost to put on marginally quieter/comfy tires, I am going to call America's tires and see if I can return the Elects (I still keep my Kinergy just in case)

Just my 2 cents...
i don't think i would *ever* replace new OEM tires with new aftermarket tires .... it's always impossible to justify unless you are going on a race track or need dedicated winter tires.

run the hankook's down (won't take long... maybe 25k miles ;) and then replace with the Pirelli's

in terms of comparison... it's not fair to compare broken in tires with brand new tires...

Reactions: Dp7-81 and XPsionic

Just my 2 cents...
A cheaper set may cost $800, not $0 so the difference between a "cheap" set and the P0 ELECT would be $300, in that case one may pay the difference for the marginally quieter/comfy tires.

I personally would not replace a perfectly good set and spend $1100 in the hopes of a major improvement.

i don't think i would *ever* replace new OEM tires with new aftermarket tires .... it's always impossible to justify unless you are going on a race track or need dedicated winter tires.

run the hankook's down (won't take long... maybe 25k miles ;) and then replace with the Pirelli's

in terms of comparison... it's not fair to compare broken in tires with brand new tires...
@texas_star_TM3 I disagree with that as a blanket statement.

Two specific examples:
  • The M3P 235/35R20 setup with huge cast wheels and rubberband-thin sidewalls is highly impractical if you have poorly maintained roads. Our S P85 came with a similar 245/35R21 setup and a rim literally cracked just driving down a very rough road. (No curb hit or anything like that involved.) So the M3P stock wheels had to go ASAP, and of course a smaller diameter rim calls for a different size tire, so that meant ditching the OEM tires too.
    • I also felt the OEM Pirelli PZ4 were mediocre for a summer performance tire, but I wouldn't have ditched them for that alone, they weren't that bad. The 18" setup was an immediate performance upgrade though, thanks to better tires, and confidence to drive faster over rough roads.
  • Base Model S and Model 3 have long come with the Michelin MXM4 eco-focused tire, aka the "Prius tire." It's highly focused on efficiency, and secondarily on low noise, to the complete detriment of any kind of performance. It's horribly lacking in grip and cornering confidence. Doubly so in the wet. I really don't like that tire and I would quickly ditch it if our Model 3 had come with it.
    • If Tesla had still offered "stealth" M3P without the PUP, there's a good chance we would've bought that config, which likely would have come with the MXM4 on the 18" aero wheels.
    • Yes I recognize that to some people the MXM4 a great tire for an EV. I have different priorities.
Life is short. If you've paid $50k-$60k for a brand new car and really don't like the stock tires, it doesn't make sense to me to put up with them for 15k-30k+ miles just to save $1k (probably less savings after selling the like-new OE tires). Swap them out ASAP for a tire you like, and sell them while they're practically new to recoup a decent portion of the cost. Someone out there will want them at a price that's worthwhile to both parties.

I don't begrudge anyone who feels the MXM4 are just fine. Maybe you don't drive on winding narrow two lane cliff edge roads in the rain. Maybe you don't ever take corners quickly. Maybe you do a ton of really long highway trips and that bit of extra efficiency/range is truly useful for you. I'm not saying everyone should ditch their stock tires ASAP. I'm just saying that for some of us, depending on the tires or their size (rubberband sidewalls), it really makes sense to.

Agree, I usually don't do this but sometimes it makes a huge difference to swap out OEM tires, my other car (ND2 Miata) came with Bridgestone S02 summer tires which are okay tires and provide decent performance. I swapped them out with PS4S out of curiosity, and to my surprise, the PS4S significantly improved the NVH and that was one of the best accessories that I purchased for Miata (I never track/AutoX my Miata)

A cheaper set may cost $800, not $0 so the difference between a "cheap" set and the P0 ELECT would be $300, in that case one may pay the difference for the marginally quieter/comfy tires.

I personally would not replace a perfectly good set and spend $1100 in the hopes of a major improvement.
Good point, if I need a new set of tires, it will be at least $800 for an okay set, which makes $1100 not much of a difference considering the benefit ELECT has (warranty, tailored made for EV, etc) I guess now we just need to see how good they are in terms of longevity.

By the way, I wouldn't say the Hankook GT is "perfectly good". If you see its review/score against other Grand Touring tires on TireRack, you will probably want to do the same thing I did.

Reactions: XPsionic

Just my 2 cents...

So, I am here to provide some updates.

TL;DR
America's Tire overinflated those tires and I overlooked that before conducting my tests. They were inflated to 46+ psi cold.
Adjusted the pressure myself and I can now see it is noticeably better in terms of NVH compared to Kinergy GT.
Will report back once I have more miles driven.

Learn from my lesson and always check the tire pressure!

So, I am here to provide some updates.

TL;DR
America's Tire overinflated those tires and I overlooked that before conducting my tests. They were inflated to 46+ psi cold.
Adjusted the pressure myself and I can now see it is noticeably better in terms of NVH compared to Kinergy GT.
Will report back once I have more miles driven.

Learn from my lesson and always check the tire pressure!

Great update. I can't wait to see some test numbers for the P zero Elect, my biggest gripe with the MXM4s is the lack of braking grip and I hope the P Zeros are better for that.

I didn't realize they were that bad!
Yeah, I had a loaner car once from my local service center (Model 3 SR+ with 18" MXM4) and the ride quality is noticeably better compared to mine with the Kinergy GT. It's like MXM4 absorbs the bumps better and it also feels quieter when going through some really bad/broken pavements. That's why I think the numbers on TireRack are at least true to some degree even though they are based on subjective ratings :)

Tire_Rack___Tire_Comparisons.png

Reactions: XPsionic
I know this is a M3 thread. But the information I read here helped me decide on the Pirelli PZero AS +electric for my MY. I only have 300 miles on them and since we are having springtime weather here in the Boston area I really can’t say my increased range is due to the tires or the warmer temps. I have driven them in heavy rain and they handled great. I can also attest that they are NOTICEABLY quieter and take potholes/road defects much less harshly than the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1’s.
2020 MY/LR/AWD/20’’ Induction Wheels

I have got almost 4,000 miles driven on the Elects. So far I am really satisfied and happy with them.
These tires perform very well when it comes to keeping road noise at a stable and non-intrusive level and how they handle broken pavements/potholes. We had a lot of rainstorms in the past weeks/months in SoCal and these tires handled very well and provides a lot of confidence. Will do my rotation at around 5k mark and I should know how good/bad the tread wear is by then.

Reactions: Dp7-81 and XPsionic