Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on winter wheels/tires - aftermarket or Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know i can get another set of 18" aero wheels with winter tires from Tesla for $2k. Or I can go to TireRack, and get a good winter tire mounted on a cheap allow wheel and TPMS sensors for around $1500 shipped. Is there any reason I should pay the 25% extra for the Tesla ones?

So I know i can get another set of 18" aero wheels with winter tires from Tesla for $2k. Or I can go to TireRack, and get a good winter tire mounted on a cheap allow wheel and TPMS sensors for around $1500 shipped. Is there any reason I should pay the 25% extra for the Tesla ones?

I’m wondering the same thing. Really want Nokian snow tires though and tire rack doesn’t carry them... What snow tires were you going to get?

If the tires Tesla is offering are Michelin X-Ice, I’d get them in a heartbeat. The pirelli don’t have good reviews. It cost about the same as the Michelin if not more.

My only worry for buying aftermarket is that the wheel shop doesn’t know what they’re doing and jack up the car at the wrong spot hurting the battery. Maybe I worry too much.

If the tires Tesla is offering are Michelin X-Ice, I’d get them in a heartbeat. The pirelli don’t have good reviews. It cost about the same as the Michelin if not more.

My only worry for buying aftermarket is that the wheel shop doesn’t know what they’re doing and jack up the car at the wrong spot hurting the battery. Maybe I worry too much.

Agreed. I also like the bridgestone blizzak in addition to the X-ice. My worry too about the regular tire store damaging the car; though being in a state without a tesla presence I may have to use tire stores like discount or belle. I wonder if anyone around here has experience with tire stores for the other teslas (s or x) for winters swapping.

How much does Tesla charge for winter swaps of entire winter sets vs swapping just winter tires onto the existing rims?

Oh well this is all academic till I get my car :)

The Michelin X-Ice are by far the best.

I've been living in Chicago all my life and Michelin X-Ice has been the only tire that got me through the Chicago blizzards without EVER getting stuck or sliding.
With that in mind...I certainly wouldn't use them in the summer. They won't last a single 100+ degree month. I don't understand why that is....but trust me.... in order to use Michelin X-Ice...you have to have a summer set of tires.
I currently have Michelin sport 4's on my Performance Model 3 and they stick to the road like glue. There is no way I'm taking those into the winter.

My question was more focused on the wheels. I'm definitely going to have a second set and swap them back and forth each season myself. So I guess I'm concerned the aftermarket wheel might not be as strong, not fit quite as intended, etc. So the question is, is $500 extra worth it for the tesla wheel/tire set over the aftermarket wheel/tire set. Keeping in mind that the tire rack set i'd get would have michelin X-ice, and the tesla set comes with pirelli.

I've got a Model S with the Pirellis and they are pretty solid. I probably would do Nokians or X-ice if I had the choice. One thing of note however is that Tesla's policy is to not work on vehicles with aftermarket wheels (as I understand it). Meaning they won't remove the wheel if they need to get at brakes, etc. While I do my own swaps from summer to winter wheel sets, I wanted everything to be Tesla branded in case my vehicle went into service with either set. I'm not close to a service center and wanted to keep things as simple as possible, so it was worth the extra $$ for piece of mind. For my upcoming Model 3, I may look around for a spare set of 18" aero wheel takeoffs from another Model 3 owner and have them mounted with Nokians. If that proves to be a hassle though, I'll just buy the winter set from Tesla direct.

Edit: If I'm incorrect on this policy of Tesla's, happy to be corrected/updated.

Tesla's policy is to not work on vehicles with aftermarket wheels (as I understand it)
If this is really the case, I would try to find a set of used aero and buy the winter tires I like. If none available, I’ll go with Tesla’s package. The website states it includes installation but is it just one time or twice a year for the lifetime of the tire (though I really doubt)?

My question was more focused on the wheels. I'm definitely going to have a second set and swap them back and forth each season myself. So I guess I'm concerned the aftermarket wheel might not be as strong, not fit quite as intended, etc. So the question is, is $500 extra worth it for the tesla wheel/tire set over the aftermarket wheel/tire set. Keeping in mind that the tire rack set i'd get would have michelin X-ice, and the tesla set comes with pirelli.
I think $500 is a good price to pay to buy some peace of mind knowing that the wheels are OEM quality, made for the car, by the car manufacturer, with no fitment issue. They’re probably tougher than those cheap aftermarket wheel. There’re more potholes on the road in winter.

Reactions: JPUConn
I'll be doing aftermarket. I'll be looking for cheap, but ok looking, wheels, and probably Michelin X-Ice. I've used Blizzaks on my last two cars (2013 Mustang GT and 2015 Dart), so I might consider those again. With Michigan potholes, I'll probably need to replace one or two wheels eventually. Plus, I've typically bought my winter set around black Friday, so there are often deals and extra cash back from cash back sites (I think I got 8% from my last set)

I've only seen 18" wheels listed on the few places that list Model 3, is that confirmed as the smallest we can go on non-p3+?

I'm in the same boat (same area too!), and I want Nokians. But it would exceed Tesla's price for their winter combo (even with used Aeros, shipping adds up fast). Not sure what to do myself.

I had heard that Discount Tire will swap tires for you for free if you buy the tires there.

May be varies from place to place, but from what I know if you buy tires from them and mount them on separate rims, they will swap the winters for the all season combos for free. Thats what they currently do for my family van. i tip the guys(s) swapping rims and resetting the TPMS. However they do not cover just tire swaps for free (again this is from the place I go to). I gather the latter is more work. Again may vary at other places.

Tesla mobile service will swap out the tires for free at you home - if we have bought the tires at Tesla shop.
I am waiting for Tesla to come up with winter tires for 20” sport wheels. I want to use the same wheels if possible.

Interesting. So do you mean if we buy just winter tires from Tesla (though i currently dont see that option... Tire plus rims available), the mobile rangers will swap them out each season for free? If that is the case, it would be fantastic.