Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thule T2 Pro XT $463 or 1UP $609

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a new bike rack. Which would you pick?

1) REI will be having a 20% sale soon, so the Thule T2 Pro XT will be $579 - 20% = $463. It has built-in bike locks. Kind of heavy.

2) 1UP for $609 everyday price. No built-in bike lock.

Take into account the $146 difference. Not much, but I'm a sucker for sales :)

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
A friend has a 1UP x2 and swears by it. Looks pretty easy to bolt on more trays. Really beefcake build and smooth arm operation. Only fits 3.25 wide tire for fat bikes, if you care.

Another friend has a previous gen Thule T2 and it is clunky, but works fine. Extra trays for 4 total bikes are easy to add on.
T2 Pro XT looks to only be able to support one "wide" rear hub bike (boost, fat) per PAIR of trays. They must put them pretty close together.

We personally a Saris Freedom Superclamp x2 use (on a Leaf) and a Freedom Superclamp x4 (on a Ford Flex). The 4 bike is beefy but folds up/down easily. The 2 bike does not fold up at all and is very compact and light. Both can use fat trays to haul fat bikes (skinny wheels fir in the fat trays, too). Saris customer service is also awesome.

Edit: my vote of the two you presented would be the Thule for fact that we have true fat bikes. Barring fat bike need, I would do the 1UP for it's great build quality.

Edit 2: Do not trust the bike locks on the racks. We lost a key to one and were able to easily cut the cable with a simple electrical pliers. They mostly keep people honest, but if you need the bikes secured for real you should invest in a beefier solution.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I have the T2 Pro XT and really like it. My brother in-law has the 1-up and really likes it... We both use it carry around road and mtn bikes. You can't go wrong with either. I get a Thule pro-deal so i went with that. The X back hatch can open with the Thule in the upright position. Both are pretty heavy. I do like the built in bike lock but it is there only to keep honest people honest. I like not having to keep a cable lock in the car for use in similar situations. If you have a bike nice enough to buy a high end rack for you shouldn't be leaving the bike locked outside overnight or in sketchy situations anyways.

As other have posted you are limited to about 130ish lbs with these types of racks on the model x so at most you will be able to carry 2 bikes on either set up.

Caveat disclosure - I have a 1Up rack for my own use after looking at a lot of racks including Thule, Yakima and Kuat. I even bought a Kuat NV and later sold it in the box when I decided to go with the 1Up.

Caveat disclosure #2 - I haven't been riding since I got my X about a month ago so my use experience is based on my previous car, but I don't imagine any issues when I use it on my X.

The silver 1Up double is $80 cheaper ($529) if you aren't hung up on black. You can also get a single (silver) 1Up with an add-on for even cheaper ($299+$199=$498 for regular duty, but the hitch is 1.25" with a 2" adapter included).

Also, there are accessories for the 1Up that allow it to hold bikes with tires up to 4.9" wide if that is another issue (though it is only available in silver).

Other advantages of the 1Up are:

- bike spacing is not fixed so there are no adjustments to fiddle with to line up bikes, just roll them further forward or backward before you lock them in place.
- no contact with rims or frame anywhere
- comes in single tray models that can take up to 2 extenders allowing full 1, 2, and 3 bike flexibility
- also comes in the more typical double tray models with up to 2 extenders for 2, 3 and 4 bike flexibility
- has a heavy duty option for up to 75 lbs per tray
- rack folds into an extremely small, more square footprint with just 2 levers (arms fold forward for about half the total length)
- If you want a 2" hitch then the regular double rack or the single super-duty rack have it. The regular single rack has a 1.25" hitch and comes with a 2" adapter if you don't mind dealing with adapters

For my own needs, my solution was to go with a super-duty single rack because it has a built-in 2" hitch and I often have just one bike (riding alone or meeting friends who drive separately). I got one extension for the times when I need 2 bikes and have an older 4-bike hanging rack if I ever need more than that.

I can't speak for the 1UP, but I've had the Thule X2 Pro for 4 weeks now and I love it.

The integrated cable lock is basically only useful for locking the front wheel. I have a 2nd cable lock that I use to lock up the rest of the frame/back-wheel to the rack.

If the integrated cable was a big factor for you, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. If it were longer and more functional, then maybe.

ModelX, curious - does your 1up not cover the rear camera?
Any bike rack with bikes will invariably cover the rear camera. The rear camera is then used to insure that the bikes are still solidly in place while driving.

I used to have an old cross-bar type rack that lost a super heavy and fat bike. The bike was dragged on the ground by a cable lock at 70mph and luckily didn't cause any accidents/damage other than itself.

By the way, I ended up getting the 1up. Love it.

Any of these racks hold a longer wheelbase recumbent bike? I have a Cannondale recumbent and most tray-type racks are not able to handle the longer wheel base. I have to drive about 3 miles to get to a safe place to ride and I need to get back in the saddle again.
Maximum wheelbase for the 1up rack is 54".