Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumb wheels annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a 2023 model y, with the spherical thumb wheels on the steering wheel. I found it a very unfortunate design. It is almost impossible to control the sidewise movement. Few people tried and had same experience.
Rather than moving left-right the thumb wheels are moving like pressing on them. When adjusting mirrors for instance, the effect of pushing sidewise results most of the time in activating the other mirror, very annoying .

Tesla engineers seems not to be aware of some basic ergonomics.

Do you guys have same issues with the spherical thumb wheels, any trick how to press them sideways.

Just got a 2023 model y, with the spherical thumb wheels on the steering wheel. I found it a very unfortunate design. It is almost impossible to control the sidewise movement. Few people tried and had same experience.
Rather than moving left-right the thumb wheels are moving like pressing on them. When adjusting mirrors for instance, the effect of pushing sidewise results most of the time in activating the other mirror, very annoying .

Tesla engineers seems not to be aware of some basic ergonomics.

Do you guys have same issues with the spherical thumb wheels, any trick how to press them sideways.

I have this problem with my TMY that I just got (used), but I do not have this problem with my TM3 that I got in Jan (used). I end up accidentally pressing it in more often than I thought I would after DD my TM3 (that is now my wife's car).

No issues at all. Sounds like you just need to perform a press a little bit differently.
Instead of positioning your thumb on the center of the wheel, make the initial position of the thumb to the side of the wheel before pressing. For example, if you want to push it left, put your thumb to the right from the wheel, then make a left press. Same for the opposite side, want to press right, position thumb to the left from the wheel, then press right. If you what perform a the center press, put thumb centered on the wheel and make a press. So easy ))

I have a Logitech mouse for a while with a similar interface of the scrolling wheel, and I love it :) So was very intuitive for me on Tesla.

I think there is no comparison with Logitech spherical scroll wheel which easy rotate all direction. That is a good design. However Tesla thumb wheel has only up-down rotation. It is also less than half exposed, most of it buried in the steering wheel. That makes the pressure component going sideways to be smaller in many cases than the component going towards the steering wheel, like pressing on it.

I think there is no comparison with Logitech spherical scroll wheel which easy rotate all direction. That is a good design. However Tesla thumb wheel has only up-down rotation. It is also less than half exposed, most of it buried in the steering wheel. That makes the pressure component going sideways to be smaller in many cases than the component going towards the steering wheel, like pressing on it.
I am not talking about spherical scroll.
This is a regular scroll that also can be pushed left and right. I programmed those for copy/paste operations. Super convenient when working with text files or spreadsheets.
Here: Amazon.com

Reactions: CapsEngineer
No issues at all. Sounds like you just need to perform a press a little bit differently.
Instead of positioning your thumb on the center of the wheel, make the initial position of the thumb to the side of the wheel before pressing. For example, if you want to push it left, put your thumb to the right from the wheel, then make a left press. Same for the opposite side, want to press right, position thumb to the left from the wheel, then press right. If you what perform a the center press, put thumb centered on the wheel and make a press. So easy ))

I have a Logitech mouse for a while with a similar interface of the scrolling wheel, and I love it :) So was very intuitive for me on Tesla.
This is how I use the thumbwheels. I have absolutely no problem pushing them left/right. In fact, I use them this way constantly while changing favorites of the media player.