Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thunk, clunk, pop, “scrape”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I boosted the volume a bit and did some background noise cancellation so yes I believe we have the same thing. For me using speed bumps are an effective way to replicate this issue, but I also get this when backing up into my driveway, not all the time tho just as you said. I will send this video to Tesla as an additional information.

Also, heard Tesla is doing a recall now for Model Y from here: Not sure if they are related but I think you can check your VIN at Tesla Service. I did mine but no recall for mine so I dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing lol...
Here is an interesting tidbit. Not completely related but found while searching potential recall on my vehicle. FWIW, i don’t have the clunk “yet”

At any rate…. on my account page and by definition of my “N” vin number my car shows as a 2022 model. On the recal mage the model shows as 2021…. Oh Tesla…. Not a big deal for me but once again, it shows the lack of total system integration in this fast moving company.

Attachments

• 32CA4951-3106-4856-9920-EB27D098C813.jpeg
    32CA4951-3106-4856-9920-EB27D098C813.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 210
  • BF8EA958-6AAF-4835-92A2-8D15143EDEC5.jpeg
    BF8EA958-6AAF-4835-92A2-8D15143EDEC5.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 149
Don’t want to jinx myself but lately I have not experienced any clunks when pulling into my driveway. It’s only happening when I’m backing out of my driveway. 2 clunks. It’s like first clunk is out of place and 2nd clunk is it flexing back. First clunk is backing out when right at the ramp. The 2nd clunk is when I start driving forward.

Stopped at a supercharger today, for the 2nd time since owning the car. I heard 2 clunks. Same exact clunk as the clunk when pulling into or out of my driveway.

Clunk still happening here.. possibly getting worse as I've now heard it when turning right where the passenger tire hits a slope first the drivers side clunk has now happened still. I'm getting closer to calling to try to get it 'fixed'. I know it's not a real fix which is why I haven't taken any action yet but now I think I at least want it documented in case it gets any worse or tuns into something else.

Did somebody in this thread say that documentation exists that I can provide to the SC??

Are you turning sharply when entering your driveway and shopping center? Is the dip low enough that the car twists from side-to-side?

I hear this sound at specific driveway entrances, while turning, and I believe it's the traction-control slipping/grabbing. Totally a WAG.
...still thinking my noise is related to traction control. If the dip is deep enough, one wheel (inside rear?) seems to spin a bit, creating a grinding/scuffing sound, and a small clunk from the front end. Absolutely no other drivetrain issues/noises, so I'm not going to have anyone mess with it.

I've got a sharp clunk or clang going over steep driveways. It sounds metallic and is coming from the rear. Eventually got it into service and they diagnosed it to the subframe. We got our car back while waiting on the part to come in stock. Yesterday we swapped cars, got a what looks like a fairly new white on white Model 3. ETA on the subframe swap is a couple of days. Given the date we might have this loaner thru the weekend.

i have this noise as well when going up/down a drive way when the car is on different levels
have a service appointment for this and something else tomorrow. ill probably just tell them not to look at this suspension noise issue since others are experiencing the same thing

For those with this issue, can you post pics of your invoice/corrective problem because I know my poorly rated dealer is going to say "unable to reproduce" and leave me hanging. I want to be able to go in and show them. Thanks.
mine doesn't make that popping noise anymore. unable to replicate at the same driveway where it was occurring. maybe it was something "breaking in" or "breaking" when the car was new. i haven't noticed any maneuvering issues with the car so im going to leave it as is for now,

mine doesn't make that popping noise anymore. unable to replicate at the same driveway where it was occurring. maybe it was something "breaking in" or "breaking" when the car was new. i haven't noticed any maneuvering issues with the car so im going to leave it as is for now,
It has to do with temperature changes because mine all of sudden stopped now that the weather is warmer. Pay attention to it when it's cold then update. I'm thinking about cancelling my appointment because I know they are going to say can't replicate.

Reactions: davidlee
It has to do with temperature changes because mine all of sudden stopped now that the weather is warmer. Pay attention to it when it's cold then update. I'm thinking about cancelling my appointment because I know they are going to say can't replicate.
Mine went away when it was really cold. Below freezing cold. It did come back when it warmed up above freezing.

Ahh yes, I went and re-read all of the posts here and looked at what cars people have. It seems to be affecting all MY it seems.

I just dropped mine off and did a drive with the service tech. He said he hasn't heard/seen this issue yet, but when he listened to the noise he said there are two different noises. One is a deeper clunk and the other is more of an electronic shifting noise. He said the electronic type noise is supposedly normal, but the clunk he said is likely not the suspension. I showed him some of the work orders some people on Reddit/FB were nice to share with me and he said that it is likely they will check the HV and possibly drop it for the foam "fix"

Will absolutely follow up on this once I find out more.
Are you able to share the same work order you found? I want to take mine to the SC as my sound is getting louder. Last time I took it they just torque suspensions to specs.

Did they end up fixing it?

Thanks in advance!

I have a one week old MYP and I’m experiecing the same clunks when entering my driveway and yesterday on a slight uphill when parking on a grassy surface. I have a 2022 and I would had it has the updated interior (wood on the doors), so it appears to be an ongoing issue, even with néw builds.

I'm at 35k miles, and I still hear a brief grind/grumble, from the front end, while turning RIGHT, into a raised driveway apron. I still assume it's a benign noise related to traction control,. I've never asked someone to watch all 4 wheels, but I'll wager the right rear wheel is lifting off the ground.

...emphasis on "benign"...

I hear some clunks when going in and out of my driveway. I’m not worried about it. I have an unusual driveway which is an immediate uphill after sidewalk but also curved to flatten out over about 10 ft distance. My Chevy volt‘s soft rubber front air dam would always scape and help up fine over the course of 8 years.

This thunk-thunk while driving into an incline at an angel happened to me within the first month (‘22 Feb) of my new MYP. It was very consistent and doesn’t happen when driving in a straight line into an incline.

I have a narrow two lane , very concave, road that I consistently reproduce the issue on. It only happens when the “line of attack” is at an angle. Otherwise it doesn’t happen at all.

The SC said that it’s the battery panels flexing, like a baking pan, and recommended I waited until summer to see if reproduces.

It indeed goes away in the summer annnndddd indeed has come back now that we’re in November.

I guess we live with it 🤷‍♂️ ???

Yep same with my wifes Y. It honestly hasn't done it much after the first few months we had it. Now it has 11k miles and with the cold returning it oddly hasn't returned. Or maybe we just don't notice it anymore.

Hello

my 2020 LR was doing the same (around 10k). Going up a incline and only right turn. feel liked it’s coming from the suspension or battery pack. I end up selling the car after 30k and getting a 22 MYP. I put in 15k so far, Im starting to hear the noise now. It’s very minor so trying my best not to bring it in for service Until close to warranty expiring. It’s the same thing, incline and making right turn only. Weird!

I also noticed my Tasmanian rubber floor mats making the same sound when stepping on it at certain spots. Not sure if that’s related.

so Far, not a big deal yet. 😬