Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F0517654-C0D6-414C-BC15-835BBBE6E8B6.jpeg
The lengths of paint strips are not uniform in the video.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
From the clip I measured the time distance between OP's car and the police car at the time of lane change.
I timed how long the paint strip takes to get to the police car after it emerges from OP's rear bumper.
0.4 seconds.
At 45 miles per hour, in 0.4 seconds the strip travels 8 meters.
The two cars were 8 meters apart.
Considering Model 3 is 4.7 meter long, 8 meters is just about the same distance as a parallel parking space.
At 45 mph, 8 meter distance or 0.4 second interval will feel too close.
0.4secs is about Setting 1 on TACC. Close, but it would be considered a normal follow distance in many urban areas.

• Disagree
Reactions: MXLRplus
...cut people off...

In the following video that I just made, the system automatically moved away from the traffic cones all by itself during Navigation On Autopilot mode.

It first automatically signaled to change to the right lane while there were 2 higher speed white pickup trucks from far away approaching. I was driving in the 60's in the slower left lane due to construction and the right traffic was about 75 MPH.

It yielded and waited for the first pickup truck to pass on the right first. Then it seemed to calculate that the second truck was still far behind and it went ahead and changed lane.

It might not look bad in the video, but to witness in real life that truck's momentum to keep pace with the truck in front then had to slow down because I just got my Auto Lane change, it's quite a bad etiquette.

Auto Lane Change is safe but the question is: Is it safe enough to get out of a traffic ticket or a road rage?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and nukequazar
The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY. Having reviewed the attached rear and side view videos, it is really not clear Here is the link to the dropbox video of rear camera: Dropbox - rear_camera copy.mov - Simplify your life.

I watched the whole thing. I didn’t see anything Unsafe. Yes you changed lanes from right lane to left lane in front of her, but not cutting her off or unsafe. That’s about it. People do that waaaaay worse in front of me. What’s the big deal?

I pleaded not-guilty to the ticket and it was dismissed by the district attorney without a trial. I have filed for a FOIL for the incident report in preparation for sending in a complaint to the police review board, I received a response that it would take six to nine months to get the report. Absurd. So, I will go ahead and file my complaint about the treatment of the officers without the report. Luckily the rear camera recorded much of the hour that they harassed me by the side of the road, including having me walk the white line several times, and the nearly 5 minutes that the cop shined the bright LED flashlight into my pupils in the dark with only the strobes of the police car as background. Unfortunately, there is no audio that would have recorded me pleading with the cop repeatedly to wear a mask or keep a safe distance, and them disregarding my request; and likewise, there is no audio of them making me take three Breathalyzers, as they refused to accept the result of the first two tests. I know nothing will come of my complaint as they protect their own. But, I will go ahead nonetheless.

In the following video that I just made, the system automatically moved away from the traffic cones all by itself during Navigation On Autopilot mode.

It first automatically signaled to change to the right lane while there were 2 higher speed white pickup trucks from far away approaching. I was driving in the 60's in the slower left lane due to construction and the right traffic was about 75 MPH.

It yielded and waited for the first pickup truck to pass on the right first. Then it seemed to calculate that the second truck was still far behind and it went ahead and changed lane.

It might not look bad in the video, but to witness in real life that truck's momentum to keep pace with the truck in front then had to slow down because I just got my Auto Lane change, it's quite a bad etiquette.

Auto Lane Change is safe but the question is: Is it safe enough to get out of a traffic ticket or a road rage?

Looked fine. You were close to matching the speed of the white truck in front, as the car adjusted its follow distance, and from the rear cam, there was another vehicle at a stable distance to you. Totally normal merge. Obviously, to your right rear there was a much faster white truck that passed, but you didn't cut him off.

Reactions: MrABRanch
I know nothing will come of my complaint as they protect their own. But, I will go ahead nonetheless.
I hope that your pessimism is unfounded but good for you for speaking up:
“Where you see wrong or inequality or injustice, speak out, because this is your country. This is your democracy. Make it. Protect it. Pass it on.” — Thurgood Marshall

After a 1000 mile trip in a NoA equipped Tesla this weekend, I can certify that the default behavior for NoA is "Drunk Driving Mode" or "GTA".
Especially the lane change events. I ended up only using it when there were no other cars present. It's awful.

What is surprising is the the OP doesn't know this. Was he drunk or just a bad driver? Any good driver knows that their NoA is worse that a 16 year old first time driver.

Good for you. Make those cops pay for doing their jobs. After all we are in 2020, the year of the complaining and unsatisfied. Remember, everyone is perpetually offended, its a great thing for the country. You poor man (Hopefully not assuming your gender and offending you) for them harassing you. It sounded like a horrible life altering ordeal. Good luck comrade.

Also, I am quite interested in seeing this public flogging you took. Any consideration to uploading it to a private YouTube channel and link it here so we can see it ?
That's right. The police are always right and should never be held accountable for any they ever do. Just bow your head and hand them your papers when told to do so. Remember, "Your papers, please," is not a request; it is a command. And we have been at war with Oceana forever.

Last edited:
That's right. The police are always right and should never be held accountable for any they ever do. Just bow your head and hand them your papers when told to do so. Remember, "Your papers, please," is not a request; it is a command. And we have been at war with Oceana forever.

Weird, I reread my post a couple times and couldn't find where I said that. Imagine much ?

I think it is worth it to waste time in an effort to right the wrong.

If he used the rear camera video as evidence of distances, he mislead the DA deliberately.

There is nothing wrong with a cop pulling you over for exiting from the fast lane right in front of another driver. I wish MORE people who drive like that would get their license pulled. You can always go up to the next ramp instead of driving like an arse.

One thing you can say about the OP, he is not a jackboot licker. That’s always good.

No, he is a dangerous driver. No bootlicker has ever put me in the hospital with their car. But a driver like the OP put me in intensive care for a month.

He admits he exits from the fast lane and doesn't check his mirrors first. And somehow he's still alive. But I wonder how many dozens of accidents he's had or deaths he's caused. He should have been arrested and his had car towed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.